main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An Interesting Article On The 'Prequels'

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Forbidden_Knowledge, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forbidden_Knowledge

Forbidden_Knowledge Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    I found an interesting article about the 'prequel trilogy'. It is a fair and balanced critique, I think.

What do you make of the critic's evaluations of the 'prequels'?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/628vifsm.asp?pg=1

2. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I think as a movie fan I see the faults of the prequels. As a Star Wars fan I don't care about the faults and lov each and every single one.

And in the end, I don't care what anyone else thinks. All six movies rock. Some rock more than others, but I love them all, despite flaws.

3. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    Obviously a old time OT'er writer. Writing about the payoff being when they showed OT material. I like they did that dont get me wrong but what i get a little tired of hearing are these same old complaints that basically the PT isnt the OT. Hearing them talk about the good ole days of star wars like some over the hill washed up HS quarterback who was the school stud. Because thats what its like. When will these people understand these were never meant to bring back old stories but tell new and different ones. Dont misunderstand i grew up watching SW over and over on HBO and Showtime i loved the movies. Maybe i just knew what to expect. I feel Anakins story is much deeper and more emotional then Lukes. I also think Ob-Wan and Qui-Gons stories were interesting. The only interesting character from the OT to me was Han and eventually Vader. Im not bashing OT's im saying these are new and different and that can be ok. I ask anyone to tell me a better acted or more intense scene then that of the ones on Mustafar. While the PT's arent admittadly the best wriiten or greatest of acted name an OT scene that can compare the intesity? I wish people would realiaze no movie is going to take them back to thier childhood.

4. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    That article is not balanced; it's another "I hate the prequels" diatribe.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    This must be the FoxNews definition of 'fair and balanced'. The man's opening paragraph rips the Prequels quite strongly.

*yawn*

I really hope these people can move along so I don't have to listen to them bitch so much about the stuff I love.

6. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    And to boot, the guy doesn't even realize that Qiu Gonn was right and the council was wrong - Anakin DOES fulfill the prophecy.

What a dope. Why does this guy write about what he does not know?

7. BosskMaul

BosskMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    How can he say that "the sea monster chase" is one of the bad things in "Menace"? I love that.

Another overall hater.

8. Ness

Ness Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2004
    "fair and balanced" lol

9. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    sadly the guy is right. as lucas has admitted, he stretched a rather simple story idea to its breaking point. although i thought except for the last 10 minutes rots was really good. but yes the dialogue in all the prequels was not bad just too plain, hence why the characters don't stick out. just my opinion

10. Taivasvaeltaja

Taivasvaeltaja Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2003
    When has Lucas said that?

Anyway, a stupid, stupid article. By no means interesting - people should at least try to figure out new ways of bashing.

11. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    "For instance, when Cingular began hawking its Star Wars tie-ins recently, they used characters from the original Star Wars movies--Chewbacca, Vader, Storm Troopers"

Huh?

Weren't Vader, Chewwy and [clone] troopers in ROTS?

12. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Avid_Prequels_Fan Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2003
    Yeah, Forbidden_Knowledge where on earth do you get the idea that, that article was "fair and balanced"?

13. JBRO_13

JBRO_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    People who swear by the OT and only the OT are elitist jerks.

They cannot accept anything else.

Strilo edit: This post is not acceptable. We discuss the films here, not the fans.

14. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Lucas admits that he is not a good writer or director yet we are expected to worship these films.

No, not really. I'm a PT fan, and I'll willingly tear them apart if need be.

Those of us who enjoy the PT are just tired of watching every other thread hijacked and turned into a bash-fest. My brother doesn't like the OT movies, yet I don't see him going into the CT forum with the need to throw in some bitter diatribe about it. And quite honestly, it makes me angry that same air of respect that permeates the OT forums can't be commonplace in the PT ones.

15. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Sep 14, 2003
    Chaotic_Serenity, what would neccesitate you "tearing them apart" if you were a fan of them? I mean there is one thing recognizing their faults, but tearing them apart sounds like bashing to me.
    I'm assuming you mean being able to point out their negatives along with their positives if you were called to a critique of them?

16. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Hee. My days of being a beta reader are coming back to me. "Tearing something apart" is a way of saying your breaking down a story to its base qualifiers and objectively noting what worked and what didn't. That doesn't mean I bash them. I'll defend the prequels any time. :) But if you really love something, IMO, you're willing to recognize the faults along with the good points.

The only bashing I've ever done was done jokingly. I love mocking my favorite movies. :p

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Please restrict the discussion in this thread to the article posted. This is not a free-for-all "what I hated" or "why the PT failed" thread. Also please remember the film/fans rule.

18. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    My apologies Strilo. I didn't mean to derail the thread. I allowed my mouth to run ahead of my brain. :p I can delete my post if you want.

As for the article, I think the author has the right to their own opinion, but like alot of other negative articles I've read, it's major flaw is that it suggests the author's perspective is universal fact.

19. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Sep 14, 2003
    That's what I figured Chaotic..just checking ;).

20. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    "It is a fair and balanced critique, I think."

Bzzzzttt! Wrong! That guy who wrote the article has every right to his opinion, but I have the right to say that he's an idiot and should shut the hell up for the sake of the human race.

21. Avid_Prequels_Fan

Sep 14, 2003
    ^ Well put MrC [face_laugh]

22. Anguirus

Anguirus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2005
    This was in the days before video/DVD.

Yeesh.

23. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Not to mention that 20+ years have passed since the release of the OT. It's had time to get re-release clamor. Nobody resurrects a movie immediately after it comes out.

And the PT movies will be returning in 2010 in 3D. 8)

24. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    ROTS is arguably the most quotable SW movie out of all of them IMO:

"You were my brother Anakin, I loved you!"

"Anakin's the father isn't he? I'm so sorry."

"I've failed you Anakin I can see that now."

"The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed by darth Vader."

"You stole her from me!"

"Every single Jedi is now an enemy of the republic."

And so on, but what better lines are there in a SW movie?

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You forgot "I AM the SENATE!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.