main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin should have slain Grevious instead of Count Dooku?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by StarWars2015, Dec 5, 2012.

1. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    After watching the prequels many times & thinking of things that would have improved the overall story & most importantly tied things together with the OT I have boiled it down to one major adjustment.

In Revenge of the Sith Anakin should have confronted and Slain General Grevious in front of Sidious and Count Dooku should have been left to fight on until a final confrontation at the end of the film.

I say this for many reasons.
    1.) We already had a emotional connection with Dooku, a former great Jedi turned Bad, Dooku had his own motivations for turning against the Jedi & had a better story to tale than Grevious,

2.) Dooku could have went on in the place of Grevious & it would have been more believeable that Dooku would have drawn Yoda & Obi-Wan off Courasant than it was with Grevious.

3.) Sidious could have for a final showdown betwwen Obi-Wan & Dooku and Himself & Yoda, using Anakins anger against him & drawing him closer to the Dark side, basically it would have just been more exicting, more dynamic story

4.) The last half of ROTS could have went down like this.....The Jedi Council would have sent Obi-wan & Yoda after Dooku, Sidious would have then worked over Anakin but leave him at his side to wittness the entire confrontation with Mace & posse, by destroying another Sith, Obi-Wan. & Yoda would have lost everything.

2. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    I agree that Grievous is a big pile of dog doo-doo compared to Dooku,

I think the point of Dooku dying early was "to make way for Anakin to become the next apprentice"

this is..completely balls.

If you go by EU, this rule of two is botched up anyway, (darth plagueis novel)

I don't see how points 3 and 4 would have worked

but seeing Dooku more involved in the plot until at least the 3/4 of the movie would have been better.

Dooku's early demise spoilt the film a lot, and a such, I put ROTS as bottom of my list in the saga

3. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Killing Grievous wouldn't have had the same impact as killing disarmed Dooku.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  4. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    I find it totally unbelieveable and somewhat shocking that the Jedi did not once question Anakin about Dookus demise? How could he have taken him down when even Yoda had failed in a Previous attempt. General Grevious would have been a perfect foil for Anakin to first taste the power of the dark side with Sidious leading him on, Dooku could then have escaped & lived to be part of the final confrontation in the film which would have been total awsomness !!

5. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    the Jedi did not question Dooku's demise because he was "a bad guy"

it's ethical morals of the Jedi

they don't see things in absolutes at all ;) or do they..

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novel Mace does ask him. He doesn't answer, but Palpatine does, suggesting Dooku was overconfident and Anakin, fighting to save a friend, was better motivated. Mace is suspicious, and says

"I'm sure the Council will be very interested in your full report."

7. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    and yet Obi-wan basically says

"and you killed count Dooku (hooraaah) carrying me unconscious on your back, good show old chum!""
    however, he had reason to be happy Dooku beat him to a pulp, twice :p

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Labyrinth of Evil, (shortly before RoTS- and basically its immediate prequel) Yoda talks with Palpatine about Dooku:

Yoda: "From the dark path, no returning there is. Forever, the direction of your life it dominates."
    Palpatine: "That may make Dooku difficult to rehabilitate."
    Yoda: "Captured, he will never be., Die fighting, he will."

So the Jedi are already predisposed to assume Dooku will fight to the last and get himself killed.

9. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    Yoda is always against assumption :p

(unless the plot/book demands it that is :p )

10. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    Only Obi Wan was sent to confront Grevious not Obi Wan and Yoda. Yoda was sent to Kashyyyk to help the Wookiees since he had good relations with them. The reason Obi Wan was sent to confront Grevious was that his lightsaber style was so simple that Grevious would overthink and not be able to create a defense against it. (I know I know i'm using the EU in the movie threads. Bad ILNP bad):D

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Nothing wrong with using the EU- especially novelization EU- in these threads- just so long as you don't portray it as "the only correct answer".

12. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    My reason tells me that if the threat was Dooku not Gevious, then the Jedi would have been forced to send Yoda & Obi-Wan beecause of their distrust of Anakin, it would work perfect for Sidious to continue to strongarm Anakin right under the noses of the Jedi, Grevious was should have been dispatched quickly at the beginning.

13. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    I know. It was just a poke at those people who at the slightest mention of the EU have to remind everyone that this is the movie thread and they refuse to acknowledge the EU. And you are right, the EU shouldn't be used as the only correct answer.

14. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Never understood how Anakin could kill Count Dooku but someone with more experience was needed to kill the General lol

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Grievous, not Grevious.

16. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Maybe they thought the General would try to run away again and Obi is better at chasing thugs?

17. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    My mistake. That's what I get for not paying attention. :)

18. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    My personal opinion is that they didn't really mean "more experienced" but instead used that as a way to hand wave the fact that they were sending Obi Wan instead of Anakin. I always interpreted that line to be "Hey, we want someone more experienced. And by experienced we mean a Master. So Anakin, since you're not a Master we're not gonna send you."

Order66Survivor and Valairy Scot like this.
  19. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Seemed like a direct message to Palpatine, who recommended Anakin for the assignment with his newly appointed power to make decisions for the Jedi council knowing they wouldn't. the Jedi - especially Mace Windu - stuck it to the Chancellor and sent Obi-Wan... Alone ! He and Anakin were tied at the hip and they split them up for the climax of the Clone War.

Besides Anakin had some "spying" and Sith Lord homework assignments to do.

Another manipulative, genius and truly effective move from Sidious.