main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST And why do we think Ep VII will be a rehash?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by SimitarLikeTusk, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    If this turns into yet another PT/OT Basher/Gusher thread, so help me, the Mod Squad will lock it faster than you can say "nerdrage."

2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I don't think the OP's question has to do with which trilogy is better or worse; it has to do with what people are going in and expecting to see when they watch Episode VII, and what the makers of the film are trying to do, and whether either the viewers or the makers are making or expecting just another OT (which would be wrong regardless of which of the other two trilogies you happen to prefer), or an actual Sequel Trilogy.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    But in reading the thread thus far, I see how easily it could go that route. Just a preemptive note ;)

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i hope this has the same feel of the ot. that is one rehash i would consider a plus

TKT likes this.
  5. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I don't know, I can say "nerdrage" pretty fast. :D

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The writers can deal with any repetition in the movie with one line which can be seen as a light jab and become a brilliant way to repeat the "rhyming" effect.

Have Han say something like "I'm getting deja vu-why do I feel like we've been through this several times already?. I thought this is why I retired in the first place."

Definitely a line Han would use. It would make light of the rhyming and then we could easily move on from it.

7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I'm in the OT and PT gusher group and likely will be in the ST gusher group as well. This is what annoys the PT bashers. That someone can like it all.

I think that having Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and the droids as well as various vehicle iconography will inevitably lead to a rehash aspect.

The thing is though the reaction to film series is different than TV series. For whatever reason some people expect more from film series. This is the hardcore fan more than the actual larger audience.

So there are 4 and only 4 Indy movies. Yet like Star Wars of which there are only 6 movies you'd think with so few films the fans would enjoy them all. Many do of course but there is a subset that treat it like a TV series which can have dozens or over a hundred or in the case of Doctor Who literally hundreds of stories to choose from.

Now personally I don't get it. I mean ratings things for fun diversion is one thing but so many people get so serious about it to the nth degree when you only have a handful of films in the first place.

8. kyl-o-ren

kyl-o-ren Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2015
    What do you think after seeing the final trailer?

9. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    It's possibly going to be a rehash like the Star Trek films by Abrams which made this idea popular in recent cinema. You could make a list of what elements had to be thrown in based on this.

1. Bring back the central cast from the OT.
    2. Create a new cast of characters which are politically correct and racially diverse, the woman, the token Black, and the Latino.
    3. Bring in another dark side, masked apprentice to replace Darth Vader.
    4. Reuse most elements of the Empire with new and modern ships and equipment.
    5. Reuse the same ships and equipment from the Rebel Alliance and just give them a new name, the Resistance.
    6. Reuse the three most popular planets from the OT, a sand one like Tatooine, a snow one like Hoth, an underground bunker like on Endor or Hoth, and Yavin.
    7. Have a holographic map or message hidden in a droid and lost the imperials in some fashion giving the location and or weakness of an ultimate weapon.
    8. A new Sith of some kind lurks in the shadows and takes the place of the Emperor.
    9. Luke is only living Jedi left in the galaxy.
    10. A Skywalker relative potentially fell to the dark side and needs redemption.
    11. Two Skywalker descendants are potentially twins and were separated at an early age.

This list goes on and on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.