main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Andre Agassi admits to taking Crystal Meth

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rechedelphar, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Full Story

-Andre Agassi makes the sensational confession today that he lied to the tennis authorities to escape a ban for taking hard drugs.

The American, one of the finest players to grace the game, tested positive for the highly addictive drug, crystal methamphetamine, and then duped the Association of Tennis Professionals into believing he had taken it by accident.

The admissions come in a soul-searching autobiography that is being serialised exclusively today and tomorrow in The Times.

The 1992 Wimbledon champion, the winner of eight grand-slam titles, also says that he has always secretly hated playing tennis and lived in fear of his bad-tempered and violent father.

what's your take on this?

R...J EDIT: just fixing the link

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    wow... i honestly don't know what to think about some of that. but your links a bit broked, doesn't lead to the article.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Take the last period out of the link ;)

EDIT: nevermind, I just fixed the link in his post. Easier in the long run ;)

4. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [image=http://i39.tinypic.com/10nszg8.jpg]

"ARRGH... This is all just a big misunderstanding.... MORE! MORE!!!"

5. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    It's no big deal to me.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Taking a recreational drug at the lowest ebb of his career. I'm sure he's not alone.

The lying is more surprising to me, though not that shocking either.

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, I'd agree. If I remember correctly, there had been rumors of Agassi on drugs for years on the tour. Not that surprising.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    When was this?

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
  10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Never heard that, and I've followed Agassi since about 1992 in one form or another.

The admission of drug use should go along with the context that 1997 was his worst year, and that he kicked the habit by the time he resurrected his career. He wasn't using drugs during his best years, and it's clear that the meth didn't give him any kind of performance boost. Rather, it helped drag him down. He was at a very low ebb, and he brought himself out of it.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    The lying about it is just as important as the actual drug use. And for impact on the sport... its not a PED.

12. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Hmm...maybe I'm misremembering things, but I thought that I read it in Agassi and Ecstasy about 4 or 5 years ago.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I'm asking because I wonder what his wife thinks about it...

14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Haven't heard of that book either. If there had been open information about such things, the recent drug use revelations wouldn't be newsworthy.

Agassi is one of the best people ever to be a part of professional sports. He made a lot of bad decisions for much of his life, but he turned himself around, married the right woman for himself and has led an exemplary life in retirement. Most athletes don't come remotely close to the work he's done for his community in Las Vegas.

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    The Agassi and Ecstasy book is an unauthorized biography from circa 2002. I did a report on Agassi in high school, and the library happened to have it. I might be getting my time line mixed up, but I thought that there was something about drugs in 1997. It might just have been what Agassi has now admitted is a lie, don't remember for sure.

Either way, he's done a lot in his retirement that's been good for Las Vegas. Everyone has done things that they aren't proud of, Agassi just had the guts to tell his story.

16. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Marcelo Rios (world number #1 in 1998) accused Agassi of drug use about a year ago and he was criticized for the accusation.

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That's probably where the book got the idea from.

18. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Yeah, good times!!!

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I read the clips from this book in SI. Very interesting.

20. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    I read Sampras's book. It was strictly about tennis. This is more of a soap-opera typr of book. Should be a good read

21. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    yea, the short little blurb in SI was very well written. i greatly enjoyed it, and definitely wanna read the rest of it if i get the chance.

22. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    This is one juicy book apparently. I have seen other leaks where Agassi discusses his secret hatred of tennis because of his father. He also suggests that he tanked matches during his career.

23. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Remember, this wasn't a run of the mill sports autobiography. It's a true memoir, co-written by a Pulitzer Prize winner and worked on carefully for months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.