main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    It seems almost cliché that he could be playing some type of CG motion capture character, but first of all: that would be awesome for Star Wars – and secondly: who better to do it?

2. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Amen.

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, Lucas could have made Jar Jar more mature and useful in the later films if he didn't give in to the bashers. All he had to say was Binks was a freakin kid like Anakin and Padme were, and like the both of them, would grow with experience. Instead, he chose to make him some flunky, that pretty much did nothing but screw up some more.

Exactly. As long as he's cool looking, though. No more wise fools, thank you. :)

4. Darth_Thump

Darth_Thump Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2002
    I'm a big Serkis fan but calling him the master is a bit of a stretch imo, the biggest roles have been an ape, a gorilla and Gollum who was portrayed in a very simian way, not really a massively diverse array of characters ... oh aye, and the main protagonist from the Enslaved game, again, had that whole gibbon thing happening.

I really hope he is a live action character, the stuff Weta produced from his portrayal as the cg characters both in physical expression and facially is second best to having him actually in front of the camera giving a performance in person. Leave the Dugs, HK-47's and Salacious Crumb's mother out of it, he'd be far better utilized as an on-screen prescence.

If afterward there is any mo-cap to be done, then by all means have a morally confused wampa in the mix.

EternalHero likes this.
  5. Lord-Dooku

Lord-Dooku Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2002
    I don't think it is a stretch at all. I think if you asked people in the industry and outside of it who would be considered the leading mo cap actor and the closest there is as such as thing as a master, you'd doubtlessly get Andy Serkis's name at the top of the list by the vast, vast majority.

No actor comes close to his profile and repute in that particular field of visual effects and performing.

6. Darth_Thump

Darth_Thump Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2002
    Well I don't personally know anyone in the industry and I am in way belittling Serkis' performances as I said I'm a fan. And granted he's probably the first name people would mention given the success of LotR, but the big accomplishment there was the accuracy which Weta captured the perfomance, it still stands up even a decade later. But that being said, there are countless others who have worked with mo-cap who don't receive the same aclaim because it became as common place as green screen, but I couldn't tell you who the performers were behind the cave trolls, the countless video games with non-human characters, numerous other performances which all captured the imagination just as Serkis has. The fact that Peter Jackson lauded Serkis' performances combined with the overall spectacle of the films themselves has certainly elevated him as the 'go to guy' for mo-cap. Benedict Cumberbatch's mo-cap performance as Smaug is nothing short of incredible, but like Serkis he is a performer and (back to my original point lol) I personally would love to see him actually on screen for the huge deal that SW is.

Again I'm not faulting his performances when it comes to motion capture, if thats how my earlier post reads thats not what I meant.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  7. citizenmilton

citizenmilton Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    This is probably the one character of the new cast that I'm most intrigued by.... given how unsuccessful Jar Jar was, versus how brilliant Caesar and Gollum were.... Serkis is the man to do it....

Even though his gift is to bring soul to these Mo-Cap characters, I wonder if maybe we're barking up the wrong tree - what if he's going to be a mo-capped DROID - a droid with more complex machinery, and a humanoid-like form? I'd still think it's more likely to be an alien, but, given how insanely difficult that is to pull off, I wonder if this is how they'll approach it....

8. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    It's possible that Serkis could be playing dual roles here--doing a mo-cap character(s) and playing a secondary live-action character.

9. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Just a sidenote: Who's to say Jar Jar wasn't a memorable non-human character? Annoying as h*ll for sure, but still memorable forever.....[face_laugh]

I do agree with Lord-Dooku's previous post, and Serkis would really work as a cool new alien side-kick. Maybe he is Oscar Isaac's Rodian co-pilot or something like that.

10. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Serkis will portray a "Sith Pureblood" reptile-type creature...

11. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Hmmm... what about a hard-ass Trandoshan bounty hunter with a personality like HK-47. Could lead to some interesting interactions with Chewbacca, since we all know Trandoshans and Wookies aren't on the best of terms historically...

[​IMG]

But honestly I would love to see Serkis play an honest-to-goodness well developed character that can talk and have a history and dynamic that unfolds throughout the trilogy, rather than just play a growling sidekick. Maybe a Bothan?

[​IMG]

Dewback, Ryus and CarboniteSolo like this.
  12. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I would love to see something like that ^^^

I think Andy Serkis will have at least two roles in this, one live action, and the other CG. I think he could play a character like Admiral Jerjarrod who interacts with MVS or Driver.

13. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Plagueis?

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Not really-that's what he does for a living.

That being said, he could also be playing a live action guy. Maybe he got the role that BC and/or Gary Oldman was going for and they got a two for one deal with Serkis.

15. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I definitely wouldn't mind Serkis playing 2 characters, 1 CG and 1 live action. Most casual moviegoers wouldn't notice. He could also do some motion capture for the random creatures too. I'm sure Serkis will be involved with a lot of that.

16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I would like to enact "Hugo's Law"

As an Episode VII discussion grows longer, the probability of a call for Darth Plagueis to feature increases

Immortiss and Mystery Roach like this.
  17. Tensionhead

Tensionhead Jedi Master star 1

Feb 7, 2005
    obviously will be playing ahsoka.

...although im sure jj really needs to put his own stamp throughout star wars, so i expect a new alien race or 3 out of hims. maybe this is serkis role.

18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    After the Jar Jar debacle maybe their better off staying away from a fully cgi character however if they can get it right he could play something really cool.....

19. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    With the news that this trilogy will dial down the digital effects I see Serkis playing a costumed character. I think he'll be the new "Chewbacca" type character of the trilogy.

20. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I kinda think a Bothan has to show up at some point in this series.

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Andy Serkis plays Ahsoka Tano, and Max von Sydow voices her

Sarge and dolphin like this.
  22. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    How about IG88? You can never have enough bounty hunters....

23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    ^ This

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I hope Serkis takes multiple roles on this movie. If the tech, a good director and Serkis would have been available, he could have played Jar Jar, Nass, Sebulba, the two headed announcer and probably Jabba, he is that diverse. I could see him play Zed FWIW...

25. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    The Shamed One Onimi

Yeah, yeah- the EU is dead blah blah blah. I like the character CONCEPT. Seems like a role Serkis could easily master.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.