main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I have yet to see a bad Andy Serkis character. It won't be a let down because of his motion capture performance alone.

2. Sithians

Sithians Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 15, 2015
    I think it's pretty high. My sense is that Kylo Ren is also a pretty flat and bizarre character with some of his lines and how they are delivered. Something feels off about him and I'm also concerned in regards to Snoke with all the secrecy. Just my gut feeling, I hope I'm wrong.

3. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    What if Snoke and Luke are both in the movie a lot more than we think?

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Well, I guess we'd continue to eat food and drink water.

5. ProfessorNutbudder

ProfessorNutbudder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 1, 2003
    And if the opposite is true, some will be unable to eat due to depression caused by disappointment.

6. Brybe_Daker

Brybe_Daker Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 21, 2015
    I think it's pretty clear that Snoke will be of a wholly new race. Also, I have faith in the abilities of Andy Serkis as a performer. The only way that Snoke will be a letdown is if he's written and directed poorly, but I do believe that that's unlikely. I'm looking forward to being pleasantly surprised by both his performance of the role, and that roles new and unique place in Star Wars.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  7. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    Disney has to save that for viii. You know the epic Snoke/Luke fight with Rey and Kylo watching.

ProfessorNutbudder likes this.
  8. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

What lines are you referring to? The toy lines? You have zero context for those. Some of them might not even make it into the final cut, a few examples of where his lines would work insanely well though-

"You know what I've come for" (referring to the lightsaber during the opening)
    [​IMG]

"Is it true you're just a scavenger"
    "I'm immune to the light"
    "Together we will destroy the Resistance and the last Jedi"
    "Don't fight it... you know you can't"
    "Don't be afraid"
    [​IMG]

Also

"I feel it too"
    is clearly in response to the only big Snoke line we've heard-
    Snoke: "There's been an Awakening"
    Kylo Ren: "I feel it too."

Not a big departure from-

Emperor: "There is a great disturbance in the Force."
    Darth Vader: "I have felt it."
    (The Emperor speaking to Vader in Empire Strikes Back
    )

Finally

"That weapon is mine!"
    [​IMG]

Kylo will not be a let down, look at that fear in Finn's eyes, as well as Rey's further above. If Finn works and we care about him and if Rey works, then Kylo will be an effective villain and a credible threat. Snoke will work too given the talent behind him, in regards to his role in this film at least. He's only going to be an ominous figure calling the shots with what will likely amount to less than a minute of actual screen time.

9. Sithians

Sep 15, 2015
    I hope so, I'm not stating anything definitive as of course no one knows the context. I'm by no means making a snap judgement. There are times though that your gut will tell you whether or not something will work without knowing all the facts. The last trailer spot with Kylo has me hopeful with his brief action scene. I am kind of concerned with all the rumors about Snoke (25ft tall, snake or lizard like appearance, pic from Indie revolver), but again they are rumors. His name is definitely dumb in my opinion, but that's just my take on it. I hope to love the Character as I loved Sheev. I want to be proven wrong...lol.

10. Darth Sater

Darth Sater Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 27, 2015
    I am fairly certain the Snoke is not a serpent or snake-like.

11. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I hope you are right.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Snoke is Plagueis.

13. Cyan_Dawn

Cyan_Dawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 1999
    I hope Snoke isn't 25' tall, otherwise it would look ridiculous when he gets into a lightsaber duel. Imagine Luke or Rey having a sword fight with the Indominus Rex from Jurassic World...that's how stupid it would look. He'd also have to have a 15' lightsaber with a handle the size of a gas cylinder.

My guess is Snoke is slightly larger than an average human, and the scene Andy Serkis was referring to involved Snoke standing from an elevated position, or he was a giant hologram in that scene; similar to the one from Empire.

14. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Why does Snoke need to use a lightsaber?

Furthermore, one of the greatest fights in any fantasy film involves a gigantic monster dueling a human sized opponent:

15. Cyan_Dawn

Cyan_Dawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 1999
    Andy Serkis said his character prefers lightsabers. The Gandalf vs Balrog fight wasn't a sword fight per se, it was more like a wizards duel, IMO. Gandalf used his sword against the Balrog when we see them falling at the beginning of TTT, but I always thought that looked silly. I hope we don't see something like that with Snoke. I don't mind that sort of thing against a random monster or giant robot or something, but I don't think it would feel right if that's how the main antagonist dies. Imagine Rey jumping up on Snoke's shoulders at the end of Episode 9 and stabbing him over and over again in the neck....that just doesn't sit right with me, I want a traditional Mano A Mano sword fight with Force usage.

16. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think for you to even consider such a question must mean on some level you're beginning to accept that Plagueis may not be Snoke. It's interesting to see reality affect you.

17. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015

I thought he was. The concept art made him look serpent like. I just hope he's not super tall or anything.

18. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

I disagree. Kylo's lines have all seemed to work. They all fit into context of rumors we've heard and honestly if I'm right about that "Don't be Afraid" line it would be one of my personal favorites in the entire saga. Do I like the sound of Snoke being 25 ft tall? No. I also didn't like the first trailer for this movie very much or Kylo Ren's lightsaber. I don't know all the details behind it, I don't have clue as to how they'd handle the execution. Given how fantastic everything we've seen so far is, and how much raw emotion there is in the actors, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. If it turned out Darth Jar Jar was true and a photo leaked (not possible but IF) I'd give it the benefit of the doubt, because again everything up to this point has ben great. Disney has too much at stake here, we won't get anything less than incredible.

19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The tall comment coming from Serkis doesn't have to mean gigantic...let's not forget the man isn't very tall himself, so that's probably what he was alluding to when he said that. Sure, he'll be very tall. But very tall could also mean seven or eight feet tall, which Serkis would look dwarfed in comparison and therefore had to motion capture the role. There's no way they'll make the new villain super tall, anyway. Especially if he's the legendary Muun that some of us think he is. :p

20. Sithians

Sep 15, 2015
    I hope he's my favorite Muun...but I don't think so. If not..I'd love a Palps and Plagueis spin off!

21. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I'm hoping Snoke lives up to the hype.

22. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015

I doubt he will be in the movie that much.

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    If the opening line of the movie starts with "this"....
    Snoke: "This is hate, this is power, this is the darkside...this is me telling you to shut the *bleep* up about me being anything but Plaguis."

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Dra--- likes this.
  24. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Lol....."legendary".

25. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    That's got nothing to do with it. I have never been married to the idea of Plagueis in terms of being necessary or a sure thing. The argument of his possibility is and always has been there regardless of anything that has been released or leaked about the film. Whether I thing Plagueis will or wont be in the film has zero influence on whether or not its possible.

My question is more based on the hype and secrecy around Snoke because I don't think people are impressed anymore nowadays simply by the design of the character, especially when forced to wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.