main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    Do wolves exist in Star Wars?

'The Boy Who Cried Rancor'.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If "calling it how you see it" involves insulting another user than we're going to have a problem. I'm not interested in your opinion of anyone here. Either post without the personal jabs or we'll be discussing this in the Unban Request forum.

Swan_007 likes this.
  3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    welllll foxes exist and their are radiation sick dogs in the phasma novel that are kind of like wolves but with boils.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like that. Someone ancient and important.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Re: creative writing, I agree that you're uniquely qualified on the subject. Though IMO, as a film buff, I think film is far, far more than the written word. Indeed, some of the best cinema plays mostly with the visual language of the medium to tell its story, even to the point of scriptlessness (Malick and Kubrick are good examples). I've often felt that too many filmmakers treat films as merely filmed plays, or filmed books, and forget (or are unable to) utilize all the tools and materials of visual storytelling. So in short, a good script can very often bolster a film. But it's not necessarily the most important element of film.

That said, yeah, I'll take your perspective on good character writing over that of most entitled fans sitting in their character camps. :)

oncafar likes this.
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think I know now who Snoke is:

[​IMG]

TK327 and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I bet Snoke is as interested as the script for IX being finished as we are.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

I think a line or two which kind of clears up how long he has been around and his basic origins would be enough. Something like Luke telling Rey that he was once a Jedi and dates back to the original Jedi or something similar. 2 sentences would be enough. The taking over the first order stuff could wait for the books.

oncafar and Dra--- like this.
  9. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    I think I finally figured him out recently. His ultimate goal is to capture Hannibal Lecter and feed him to the boars.

10. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Lost cause, Hannibal is no threat.

11. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    Tell that to Roman republic....

12. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Hannibal won't eat clowns, because they taste funny.

vncredleader and Krueger like this.
  13. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    With Abrams back in town, I wonder if anything changes with Snoke........

14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i think it may, but only because i assume JJA was more involved in the conception of snoke. so any ideas he had, he can now do something with. i think it's a good thing for snoke's character. that doesn't mean imo that IX will tell us everything there is to know about snoke ofc.

lawton likes this.
  15. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm intrigued by this description of the concept art from that Reddit post on the early stages of production on TFA:

If they kept this aspect of eating "white-blue" sun matter, that would definitely distinguish Snoke from Palpatine. Eating sun matter essentially equates to eating life itself, the stuff of life.

We see that they at least kept this idea alive via the Starkiller, which takes it's energy from suns/stars. And that means the technology exists for Snoke to do this if they want him to, in story.

Let's say Snoke's personal goal then is something like wanting to control the GFFA so he can have access to as much sun matter (or its equivalent) as he needs to live and power himself. This current goal would suggest what his past may have been like: in the Unknown Regions he may have destroyed a number of systems to sustain himself.

If they were to do this, then the Starkiller wouldn't merely be a Death Star copy as many quickly assume, but a huge hint in TFA at Snoke's goals in the ST and origins. And they wouldn't even need exposition to suggest these things: they would just need to show Snoke consuming this stuff and destroying another system, suggesting this would be a continuing process.

But fans have had such a reactionary response to the Starkiller, it could be Rian and JJ may not decide to pursue this plotline anymore and simply keep Snoke as blank as possible.

Regarding Kylo, this would be his chance to rise in power -- taking that next step and consuming this transformative energy. This would be Snoke's strength and weakness -- his dependence on sun matter.

It sounds like the sun matter idea was from early in the story process when Lucas was involved. If it was his idea, I think it's a way for having a more dramatic version of keeping oneself alive unnaturally. Snoke wouldn't have the Sith's ability to manipulate midichlorians to cheat death. It would be this more visually and metaphorically interesting sun matter.

Mungo Baobab and lawton like this.
  16. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Yeah. I wasn't referring to how much backstory we will get now that Abrams has returned, but rather if thus has any effect on what his place in the story actually is. I have always been of the mindset that he and Kasdan outlined the basics of the ST from the start, as in who Rey is, Snoke, and so on, while the writers and directors of 8 and 9 would essentially connect the dots. Everyone else seems to be under the impression that the next director gets to start from scratch with their respective episode, but I highly doubt that is true. The makings of stuff further down the road should be interesting.....

Dra--- and oncafar like this.
  17. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    if there's an outline already, why would JJA diverge from it?

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    something like this?

[​IMG]

19. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Interesting! It was described as "white-blue."

20. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Potentially, something in 8 could have been done differently that Abrams had in mind......

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, Rian said he wasn't going to explain Snoke's origins...

Looks like JJ will be able to do what he wants. Probably?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  22. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    True, but whatever Rian did do with Snoke could throw some level of wrench into how Abrams may have connected the dots....

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah, I think you're right. If Snoke's current goals, which Rian claims to focus on, are somehow different from what JJ had planned, then yeah, I wonder how JJ will handle that...

LunarMoth likes this.
  24. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I thought it was the Jedi Killer who ate sun matter.

25. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    It was, but that Reddit poster speculated that aspects of the Jedi Killer were split off into Kylo and Snoke.

If so, I would expect Snoke to be the sun eater.

It's all just my speculation, but I think it's pretty interesting that this is where Snoke could get his power.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.