main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Another question for the adm, managers and mod

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Galactic_Emperor, Nov 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    merci YJ

2. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Thanks for clearing things up, Sape.

3. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    "The entire Mod Squad discussed it, and the majority of the members agreed with the punishment. "

So the 'Leadership Council' wasn't called in? Does anyone have any kind of written guidelines for what circumstances necessitate the LC handled by the MS? Because so far it has been pretty inconsistant.

4. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Don't quote me completely, but I'm not sure the "Leadership Council" really exists anymore. Getting rid of that was part of what we did when we made Vert Supreme Chancellor.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm not sure if the LC still exists, due to the reorganization of the administration structure. If it does, then I think just about everyone on it posted in the MS about this.

I simply know that a good number of moderators/administrators gave input on the issue.

6. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Ahhhhhhh, how timely.

7. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    How do you mean?

8. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Well, it just seems strange that when LMM had been warned about spamming and additude and repeated his behavior, the LC, which included owners of TF.N themselves and a close friend of his, was called in to handle the disciplining.

It seems rather timely that the body was eliminated just after that affair happened and just intime for another mod to do something along the same lines but he doesn't get to make his case to the owners as well.

The first case was a 24hr ban and 3 day demotion, after repeatedly antagonizing and flaming.

The second case got a 2 day ban and 5 day demotion for creating a lot of harmless threads in the most spam-filled forum on the JC.

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    With the LMM case, I believe there were a lot of people upset with the penalty, thinking that it wasn't enough. There were cries of "double standard". However, I haven't heard that term yet with this case.

I think that having the MS discuss it made for a quicker, fairer decision.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Gay-Len, the LC was pretty much done away with only at the beginning of November. The LMM incident happened in September. Do you consider that "just after that affair happened"?

In this most recent case, the moderator in question was in repeated discussions with the Mod Squad in an attempt to stop the problem before it got worse.

11. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    My comment that it was 'timely' was that apparently someone took notice of that case, because this change seems to have been prompted by it. In other words...... 'it's about time.' ;)

12. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Actually, the LMM standard thing you bring up falls apart, when you add in Gatherer's contacts with Lucasfilm and Authors who contribute to it. If anything if what you were saying was going to happen, it would happen to the guy with sources and contacts.

I think the what happened with the LMM case was in our mind when the shuffling of the heirarchy within. We realized that better decisions needed to be made and we mods wanted more input on what was done. So the current system was put into place.

13. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    No matter what anyone says to the contrary, it still takes time for the disciplining of mods and this latest case was no exception.

14. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    The change in the way things were handled has been the result of a lot of factors. Firstly, instead of a nebulous Leadership Council to wait on for a decision we just had Vertical and to a lesser degree Sapient essentially moderating discussion in the AC and Mod Squad over what was to be done. Vertical looked at the sorts of opinions brought up in the AC and Mod Squad and took the proposal that looked most fair given the situation.

The last time, we had said nebulous Leadership Council, half of whom were absent or semi-absent. By concentrating the decision making power entirely in Verticals hands, we will be able to counter the increasing threats of the Separatists? I mean, we were able to resolve the situation quickly and without much fuss.

15. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    No matter what anyone says to the contrary, it still takes time for the disciplining of mods and this latest case was no exception.

Quite right, three strikes and we'll talk about it some more.

16. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Also good to note that the TFN Staff (me primarily) are involved in these decisions actively as well.

Josh

17. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I'd like to think that we have been much more consistent, quicker to respond, and fair in our decisions as a result of our new structure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.