main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Anyone have any of the star wars trilogy on laserdisc?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MrAlecMan81, Aug 14, 2014.

1. MrAlecMan81

MrAlecMan81 Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2014
    hi!

i recently purchased THX-1138 on laserdisc, and was wondering if anyone owned any of the star wars trilogy on laserdisc? I think there really cool, and they should be more popular, and should have newer films on laserdisc. But the star wars definitive collection looks great, but way too much money for me! [face_laugh]

Thanks, MrAlecMan81

2. Stoney Jackson

Stoney Jackson Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2014
    I have the "faces" version of Star Wars on LD. I don't really watch any of my many LDs anymore because they look horrible on HD displays, especially in my theater room on the 96" projection screen. I finally just ordered the blu ray setof 4,5, and 6 from Amazon this week. Can't wait to see it on my big screen

3. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    I have the laserdics stashed away somewhere. I never opened them because at the time, I had no way to play them. Yeah, I know. I'm one of those. :rolleyes: At least I bought a dedicated blu-ray player to watch the blu-rays when I bought those.

HOWEVER if anyone can tell me where i put them for 'safe-keeping' after the last time i had them out, please tell me? I would like to return the ESB disk that is currently living in my laptop [turns out it has a blu-ray player, too] to it's proper home. [face_dunno]

4. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I saw a sealed copy of the Definitive Collection at a Half Price Books for $150 last week.

TX-20 likes this.
  5. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I had the "faces" version on LD.

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I have it and I'm glad that I do. It still plays well, but, yeah compared to the blue ray its a bit off. Never the less, its a version thats different from the blue ray. Remeber, in A New Hope Luke's lightsaber is blue when he pratices in the Falcon hold, not the greenish off looking one. So for whatever its worth.

7. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    I have the UK Laserdisc release of the '97 SEs. I bought them in HMV Glasgow in 1998. They set me back £100. The guy behind the counter told me to "enjoy". The jealousy was dripping off of him!

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Cool - I never knew the SE's were released on laser disks; I just thought they were only available on VHS...Never had a laser disk player or LD's due to the extreme expense; The LD players themselves were a lot of $, as were the individual Laser disk films - IIRC, they were, on the average, $70 each...

9. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I don't have the on Laser Disc but I have ANH on the big video disc!

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish I had the SE laserdiscs. I worry about my SE VHSes getting worn out.

11. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    This is not the laserdisc one but I have it and still love it. The only VHS movie I have keep. [​IMG]

12. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    Unfortunately Laserdiscs will wear out/degrade too. They are analogue not digital like DVD/Blurays. I haven't looked at my LDs of the SEs since the 2004 DVD release of the OT. They may be fine but probably look pretty shocking on a 48" TV.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That worries me. All versions of the movies should be preserved somehow.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Is there anything that can be done to save the 97 versions from total oblivion?

15. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    I still own the original trilogy on the laser disc. In fact the first I ever watched the trilogy was on those laser discs. The quality of the movie was amazing for the time and surpassed my imagination.

16. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'm no techno wiz (I can barely set my alarm clock) but I believe you can transfer them to DVD; though I know many of those VHS releases were copy protected, which prevented people from making duplicates. Not sure if that is the case when it comes to converting them to DVD. I've had a few of my own personal videos (high school talent show, etc) converted to DVD and I subsequently backed them up on flash drives.

And since you're making these for your own personal archives and not to sell or distribute, I don't think there are any legal issues to worry about. The problem might be in having them converted, as they're copyrighted material and no company would dare to transfer them for you, and I have no idea how you'd go about doing it your self.