main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AOTC Chapter 31: Dooku's Separatist Plot DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Moleman1138, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss AOTC chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: Attack of the Clones and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 31: Dooku's Separatist Plot
    DISCUSSION: January 16, 2005 - January 20, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 75:20 - 77:44

Synopsis:
    Back on Geonosis, Obi-Wan enter into the base of a rock formation. The Jedi looks around the inside of the structure and the surrounding architecture. Continuing through the spire, he sees the construction of a droid army in part of the Geonosian factory. Stumbling on a band of separatists discussing their plan, Obi-Wan shifts out of view. Dooku tells his comrades that he will persuade the Commerce Guild and the Corporate Alliance to join their pact. Viceroy Gunray of the Trade Federation refuses to sign until the head of Padme Amidala is on his desk. Wat Tambor of the Techno Union pledges his battle droids to the cause. Obi-Wan follows them, watching from above a conference room. Dooku is confidant more systems will rally to their cause. The aliens in conference as unsure of Dooku and say that what they're doing is treason. The Techno Union and Banking Clan pledge their support to Dooku as well as the Trade Federation. Adding to what he persuaded, Dooku says that the Republic will bow to their wishes as will the Jedi. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    Obi-Wan continues to sneak around Geonosis in this thick plot thickener. We are introduce to another throw away character and many small villlains who are nothing more than a band of flunkies.

The scenery is simple beautiful. The interior spire of the separatist headquarters is nothing we've seen before in these films and the angle looking up at the ceiling is one of the best subtle executions of cinematography in this saga. The sounds work well. Every clank in the droid factory, the steps of the characters, everything is just superb to one degree or another.

It's good that we get to see what the villain is thinking. We rarely see a counter plan from the villains, just a plan from our protagonists. Unfortunately we are abruptly introduced to Count Dooku. His introduction would have worked better if the Lost Twenty remained in the film. Just like Zam and Jango, he's another throw away villain. It was all about finding the assassin through the film. Now with what time we have we're introduced to the more perplexing problem.

The scene works better with the fixed flaws earlier in the film, but all and all, it's pretty good. Gives Obi-Wan more time to snoop around instead of confronting the bounty hunter. Good chapter.

2. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I really love the fact that Lucas and his cinematographer, David Tattersal, use a handheld camera to follow Obi-Wan as he begins to spy on Dooku and the seperatists - it isn't a stylistic method that we are used to seeing in the "Star Wars" pictures. Most of the compositions are pretty formal and straightforward, but not here, as the composition perhaps suggests the uneasiness and unrest that is beginning to unfurl.

As for the scene itself, it does represent an interesting "introduction" to Dooku. I have mentioned elsewhere that Dooku is sort of like the Harry Lime character in this film - we spend the first hour of the picture hearing about him, which in turn feeds our curiousity, therefore resulting in his physical reveal or appearance being much more effective.

There is also a very deliberate and pervasive sense of grim remove to the entire sequence - it is chilly and foreboding in a way that I am not quite able to describe. The music, the dialogue, the visuals and the tone all contribute to this cumulative effect. With this sequence, Lucas is able to resolve the 1940s Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade references which characterize the Obi-Wan plot strand/arc, and thus clear a path for the introduction of a new aesthetic into the last portion of the film.

3. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    I find this scene a disappointment on a couple of levels.

Firstly as an introduction to Dooku's character, i don't believe we get enough information on who or what he is. With references from Padme and the opening scroll early in the movie, you wait till this scene to meet the character with little satisfaction. All we find out this guy hangs around with some weird looking dudes and chairs a meeting between them. The authority or power figure that he's meant to be doesn't shine through here.

Secondly, the alien that says what you are proposing could be considered treason, she never gets a response. It's like we are missing a line from the script. I want to hear Dooku's excuse or rather his spin to get the alien onside.

Just my opinion. ;)

On the other hand, Obi Wan is one sneaky Jedi hanging out in the roof and not even sensed by Dooku. The next James Bond [face_mischief]

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Moleman, you're are 100% about this scene. if the "Lost Twenty" had been kept in, this scene would have been better, but we ultimately get isn't bad. i love the look Nute Gunray has on his face after Dooku mentions the Trade Federation, poor bastard just wants some justice!

5. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    What I like about this is the sneaking around... it's very old school sci-fi/action serial. The hero somehow manages to sneak up to the group of plotting villains, and of course he overhears something important.

This scene was an excellent choice to break up the Anakin action. It's important, but not as heavy. And it's a good stylistic match to the Tatooine scenes, you're never completely pulled out of the "feeling" of them.

6. darthmedium

darthmedium Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 16, 2005
    I can't help but agree with you, RebelScum 77.

7. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    agree with the the lost 20 comment. dooku is displaying his diplomatic prowess - reeling in all the future members of the alliance playing it low-keyed living up the title of "count". the sleuthing by obi wan seems a tad contrived in that dooku did not sense his presence - or maybe he did but didn't want the others to know? factory sounds a preview to the brief glimpse by obiwan to take in exactly what is being produced. wish ewan had displayed more facial reactions besides that open mouth which he uses a lot.

8. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    I love this chapter. Nute Gunray's lines are awesome. Also, Christopher Lee is a great actor. One thing I don't like is the techno union army guy. His voice was fine before he tuned it. He didn't even need to tune it.

9. darthmedium

darthmedium Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 16, 2005
    Techno Union army... silly.

10. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    It's entirely possible that Dooku wanted Obi-Wan to overhear what they were saying. He should have recognized the Jedi's Force presence immediately (unless Obi-Wan can "hide" it). Dooku did, afterall, tell Obi-Wan the truth when he was captured. The more the Jedi think that the Seperatists are their own independant group, the less likely they'll pick up that it's really the Sith who are controlling them.

11. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Geonosis is one of my favorite planets of the entire saga, and this chapter showcases its mysterious beauty. The host of the ceiling is gorgeous, and the music in this chapter fits perfectly, though it is used many times throughout the movie.
    I also liked seeing Obi-Wan snooping around like he did on the Death Star. This may not be intentionally, but it resonates between the two movies very nicely.

It's a pity there is very few build up to Count Dooku's character. He is mentioned in the crawl, and one time on Coruscant, but that's it. I agree with the posters above me, the Lost 12 scene in the Jedi archieves would've added greatly to Dooku's character. Also, there isn't really a sense of danger to this scene, since the people Dooku is addressing are, IMO, a bunch of rather cartoony aliens. Maybe a bit more tough, mysterious looking aliens, and not just CG ones, could have done it.

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    After all the bashing and gushing of TPM, now, awaiting ROTS, I only wish Lucas had envisioned the excellent character of Dooku in TPM.

Even if there was just a mention of him leaving the Order near the end and/or the Lost 20, it would have nicely set up AOTC.

Nevertheless, I pretty much agree with the opinions expressed above.

I think it's totally left open as to whether or not Dooku senses Obi-Wan....but is it a coincidence he gets caught right after he delivers enough info to set the trap?

Although it sucks our first scene with Dooku is this late in the AOTC, I really like him in this scene - he seems distinguished and polite, unlike any SW villain we've seen so far.

And he's commanding the heads of the TF, the Banking Clan, the Commerce Guild, the Techno Union...obviously he has a lot of influence.

One last point - I like the fact that Obi-Wan can be seen as a "fly on the wall" in a huge hive of insect-like aliens. ;)

13. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    he seems distinguished and polite, unlike any SW villain we've seen so far.

Yep. Seems like he was from a time of a "civilized age".

To me this could be what GL wants us to think about, when Obi Wan had eloquently mentioned to Luke when he reminisced life before the Dark Times.

14. Count_Solidus

Count_Solidus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 31, 2004
    Yep. Seems like he was from a time of a "civilized age".

They make the best villians, don't you think?

15. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    What I really like about this scene is the feeling I get that Obi-Wan must be thinking something like, Wait a minute. I just discovered a massive clone army created in secret on Kamino, and here they're talking about their secret droid army that will be the "most powerful in the galaxy." This can't be a coincidence. Something very bad is going on here... The whole second half or so of AotC just amazes me with the sense of impending doom it conveys, and this scene really adds to that.

16. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    And he's commanding the heads of the TF, the Banking Clan, the Commerce Guild, the Techno Union...obviously he has a lot of influence.

You know what's wrong with that statement? It's missing the Corporate Alliance!!!!

I HATE THIS CHAPTER WITH A PASSION. George and Ben cut Passel Argente yet left in "We must persuade the Commerce Guild AND the Corporate Alliance to sign the treaty."

He doesn't seem to accomplish this at the meeting with Mai saying it's treason and Passel never saying anything. Not to mention he says that line when Passel is walking with them.

When we heard all the cut scenes to AOTC, I was happy to learn this scene was still there. But when I saw it in the theater I was so surprised by the lack of Passel. :( I just don't understand. Why George? Why? What was one more line? I guess I should be thankful he made it to ROTS with his aide Denaria Kee.

Then there's that bloody Toonbuck Toora/Rogwa Wodrata thing sitting about.

I'm also curious as to why Darth Tyranus did not sense a Jedi Knight hiding behind a pillar.

I do admit though that I was excited to finally get into the thick of things when Dooku, Nute, and the others showed up. Hearing Christopher Lee as Dooku, Carsons Gunray voice, and the deep Wat Tambor was chilling.

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Poor Magistrate, no Passel Argente in this chapter. :( [face_laugh] Actually I still think Dooku is playing both sides. He knew Obi-Wan was there, but didn't want to do anything.

18. Kit_Buzro

Kit_Buzro Jedi Master

Aug 10, 2002
    Something I find interesting is that Obi-Wan tracks Jango to Geonosis, but then Jango has nothing to do with the meeting Obi-Wan spies on. It's almost like a broken link in the story to me.

Then we don't see Jango again until he gets Anakin in the factory.

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Yet he was there during the Dooku Interrogates Padme scene on the DVD as well as Anakin and Padme on Trial. It's possible the camera did not show him and he was there, since it was Dooku who was the focus of the chapter.

20. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    This scene is pretty cool. I will admit that I was confused the first time watching it. At this point it becomes cloudy who is good and who's really evil. We know the Clones were ordered by a Jedi, but later become Stormtroppers. We know the Nute Gungrey wants Padme killed (clearly not good) but they are separating from a corrupt republic. I think that this confused a lot of people who had a set expectation of what the film should contain. This was were I truly let myself go and "just watched" the rest of the film.

21. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Jango Fett was present for the CIS meeting until.... George added the discussion between Obi-Wan and Dooku. Apparently George had him removed from the scene to make Dooku more of a mystery. Trying to make us believe he may be a good guy. If Jango was at the meeting, then Dooku's statement to Obi-Wan in the cell would have been a complete lie. Thus the whole Qui-Gon speech and everything would have been odd.

Another thing that grieved me in this scene was the table. It was lit up. But nothing was happening. No holograms. No monitors. No drinks. No papers.

I remember a select image of the center of the table which looked like some sort of hologram projector. We figured Sidious would appear from it or something. But nothing did.

22. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Ah, the poor spoiled masses. ;)

I swear, Hook, I never *consciously* left out the Corporate Alliance.

23. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Finally, this sets up for the war about to happen.

24. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Sure Garth. Sure. :p

25. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I agree with most of the above, but I have to say my favorite part of this is seeing all the Separtists leaders sitting together, so many different species and manner of creatures. This scene does really well to hearken back to the original Imperial meeting of ANH that took place in the Death Star. For future generations watching these films, it'll be an interesting progression of scenes to see such a variant of individuals in power, compared to the opening of the OT where we see how much the galaxy has changed in the 23 transition from ROTS to ANH.

Also agreed with the above, the color tones used in this scenes really help to give light to the emotions of the characters. Everything gives a rocky, tumultous, dark feel. It measures nicely against the grim, sandy reality on Tatooine. Both Anakin and Obi Wan are facing off against an unseen enemy in both parts, and neither of them is successful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.