main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AT-PT WIP

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by the_dig, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Lots. Is that Brazil, or something like a light dome you used to fake it? Either way, I can't tell.
    -Matt

2. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    he uses Lightwave :) best built in renderer out there

3. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    im liking how the cocpit is coming out.. however the part right over the windows is bothering me.. it looks like one polygon.. maybe you should try and increase the poly count there.. or turn off smoothing, or something ... anyway lookin good..

Btw: my renders are done with lightwave's built in GI (Radiosity) which is pretty similar to brazil.. or max5's GI renderer.. ok maybe not in method.. but the result is something approximately the same.. (no debates about which is better/faster plz this thread's about the_dig's at-pt :) which is pretty good :p, better than mine .. partly in the reason its more complete :))

4. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    "no debates about which is better/faster plz this thread's about the_dig's at-pt"

Brazil is the best! -this close debate-

5. the_dig

the_dig Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    I have Brazil - but I don´t find any difference between my original Render and the Brazil-Render (only the Rendertime). Ok I only have it since one week, but any tipps or good tuts (I only found so much useless stuff...) would be helpful
    (And: yes I know that I have to use the Brazil Materials, but...)

Edit:
    UPDATE (I replaced the last Pic with a newer version.)

6. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Yea... a GI renderer is not just a switch you flip on unfortunately... it does take a bit of know-how and practice to use it effectively.

You've detailed the back nicely. But were you gonna follow my one suggestion about the legs? The suggestion I had would greatly improve it and it is in the reference too. Didn't know if you could figure out what exactly I was talking about or not. Kinda hard to describe.

7. the_dig

Jun 6, 2002
    Erm... I am not 100% sure what you mean but I wanna redo the joints at the legs anyway...
    (What is a G.I. (letters: GI) Render?)

8. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I can't much tell the difference between a brazil render, a GI render and a faked brazil/ whatever render. They all look good to me.

-Matt

9. Dr. Jones

Feb 6, 2000
    Wrong, brazil is a GI renderer. GI mean global illumination. Brazil can make GI but only if youctivate it, that's why you don't see any diference. just put one light in you scene, and activate skylight an secandary lightning, in brazil luma render options, and you'll see a difference

10. the_dig

Jun 6, 2002
    Thanks Dr. Jones

This Brazil-Render is made with your mentioned settings.
    Looks quite different now (at-pt is the same from the last side):

[image=http://www.8ung.at/the_dig/atpt04brazil.jpg]

11. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    A GI renderer can make a HUGE difference. I think there are some pics in the WIP for Mos Espa Arena that show this. The huge main rock shows the diff. it can make. All the little details in the model it can bring out, all the diff. levels of shadows. It basically calculates all the diff. rays of light that bounce off the environment. There's not just one ray of light that hits and object. There are millions of rays that go in all directions and create all sorts of shadows. Creates color too by these rays of light hitting over objects of color and creating a new ray/shadow of that color. Hopefully that not only explains it well enough to understand, but also good enough to satisfy the experts here.

Let me know if this still doesn't make sense then I'll just send you the reference with some markings on it showing you what I mean.

The last leg joint the meets the body.. the big huge round piece... needs more detailing. It's like one big round cylinder now. What it needs is like the reference has... several circular rings around it.

Yea.. that rendering looks better.. and that's without textures still.

12. SevenJedi

SevenJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2001
    i hope this hasn't died

13. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    (hums the death march)

14. the_dig

Jun 6, 2002
    No-
    it definitely not died.

I have so much other things to do/learn - so I make a little break...

It also helps to see mistakes and other not so good things ;)

I´ll finish it soon...

15. the_dig

Jun 6, 2002
    All - I was able to do the last week:

[image=http://www.8ung.at/the_dig/atpt06.jpg]

(still not changed the joints - sorry ZOO ;) )

Edit:
    A very important modelling question: Every time I want to chamfer some objects, 3D Max has an error... It works with very simple objects, but if they are little more complicated the error occurs and I have to restart.
    Is that normal? I tried it in Win98 and Win2000 with the same error.

16. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Looking good

17. Dr. Jones

Feb 6, 2000
    No, it's not normal. I'm used to bevel a lot of edges, and I don't get problem with this. Yeah that doesn't really help you, but it was just to say the problem come from your max

18. Thewiruz

Thewiruz Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    oki that looks awsome!! have to ask ,how do you make the details??? Do you cut the polys and then extrude?? i need a very detailed explination,if its okay? Good work !!

19. Dr. Jones

Feb 6, 2000
    From the pics, I would say it's motly made of extrudes shapes, and edited primitives, but I may be wrong

20. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    I like the model a lot. Can't see nothing wrong with it. Good work. :)

21. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    You are saying you are running MAX under Win98... and tried W2K to test it out. I'd say this might be your problem too... especially Win98. It's not a very good OS and even more unstable with MAX.

22. the_dig

Jun 6, 2002
    No, I use Max 4 under Win2k and tried it under Win98, too. I never had problems with Win2k and MAX until now...
    I hate it, because if I could bevel the edges, some parts would look much better. I can do it by hand, but...

Thewiruz:
    Yes it is like Dr.Jones said. Many of the details are cut out and extruded. Many other details are extra modelled objects on the surface of the bigger parts (with auto-grid) (like at the cockpit, engines)

http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/index.htm
    On this page is a good shipdetailing-tutorial (It is for Lightwave but you can use it for other programs, too.)
    It helped me very much...

23. bobabert

bobabert Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2002
    I like it good details
    after my ATAT I'll try to do one(just for fun);)

24. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Sounds like MAX is just corrupted in some way. Like you need to reinstall it or something.

25. the_dig

Jun 6, 2002
    I had some huge problems with my computer (Max, Windows crashes) and not much time to fix them...

But I will continue tomorrow - and I think the at-pt should be ready this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.