main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends At the Foot of the Bed - Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan holiday challenge response

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: At the Foot of the Bed
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Summary: Obi-Wan, newly accepted by Qui-Gon Jinn as his apprentice, worries that something is wrong with his Master.

At the Foot of the Bed

Obi-Wan looked at his Master with some concern. Qui-Gon Jinn, it seemed, had lost his mind, at least if Obi-Wan?s observations were correct.

The normally reserved and serene Jedi Master sat across the table, grinning widely though Obi-Wan knew of no reason for his Master to be quite so cheerful. ?Master?? he asked carefully. It might be best to leave him alone, but Obi-Wan knew that he had to at least try and find out what was wrong with his Master.

?Yes, Padawan?? Qui-Gon returned, quirking one brow and sounding only mildly curious.

?Is?is something?wrong?? Obi-Wan asked warily. Besides the fact that you?ve got a Padawan you did not want?

They had not been Master and Padawan for very long, and the boy could not shake the memory of their rather troubled start as a pair. Qui-Gon had not wanted to take on another Padawan, and it had only been through the direct intervention of the Force itself that he had done so. Sometimes, Obi-Wan worried that his Master still had not accepted what the Force had willed.

?Wrong, Padawan?? Qui-Gon asked in obvious surprise. ?What would make you think that??

You?re sitting there grinning like a madman, Master, that?s all. ?Nothing, Master, nothing at all,? Obi-Wan murmured and then pushed his plate away. ?I?m not all that hungry, if you don?t mind.?

Qui-Gon stared at him. ?Not hungry? I?d better call the Healers if Obi-Wan Kenobi isn?t hungry,? he replied with yet a wider grin.

?No, no, I?m fine,? Obi-Wan said hurriedly. ?Just not hungry, that?s all.?

The two considered each other over the space of the small table for a moment. ?Very well then, Padawan,? Qui-Gon said at last. ?Just put your dishes in the cleaning unit and get ready for bed.?

?Yes, Master,? Obi-Wan answered dutifully. ?I will.?

With one more assessing glance at his Master, Obi-Wan did as he was told. When he got to his room he closed the door behind him with no small measure of relief. ?He?s finally gone over the edge,? Obi-Wan whispered and then immediately felt guilty for such a traitorous thought.

He would clean his teeth later, he mused. After Qui-Gon had gone to bed. Obi-Wan toed off his boots and placed them in a corner, then he shrugged out of his tunic, removed his leggings and slipped on some sleep shorts and a shirt. As he did so, he glanced at the chrono beside his bed.

?Festival of Life,? he whispered. Tomorrow was the first day of the Festival, which would last five days. When he had been in the crèche, the younglings had gotten some small treat on each of the five days. When they became Padawans, they were told, it would be up to their Masters if the Festival was to be celebrated.

Apparently, Qui-Gon Jinn did not celebrate the Festival of Life ? and that meant that Obi-Wan would not either.

Pushing aside his small regret for the lighthearted celebration, he closed his eyes. I?ll get up in a few moments and clean my teeth, he thought sleepily. Just a few minutes?

Obi-Wan fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

Obi-Wan woke slowly, wondering why he felt a bit depressed. Sun shone in through the tiny window of his room, only partially blocked by the towering buildings that rose all around the Temple. Sliding out of bed, he padded to the window and peered out at the day.

Bright and sunny and beautiful.

And the First Day of the Festival of Lights. Today was the Gift of the Past Days, he thought. He tried to tell himself that he was not disappointed that there would be no celebration in their quarters, for he had nothing to give Qui-Gon in return. Yes, it was for the best.

Then he turned and saw a small package, wrapped in palest blue. Unable to help himself, he laughed and ran to the bed, picking up the package and turning it over and over in his hands. Then he quickly untie

2. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Amazing! I loved the beautiful gifts--so understated and elegant, yet expressive and meaningful.

I loved the characterization, too.

*looks at my Christmas list in a new way*

Lovely. Just a lovely story.

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was beautiful

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

I loved how alike young Obi and young Ani were. Both so sure their Masters wouldn't celebrate the holiday and both proven wrong in such a wonderful way.

I hope Anakin appreciates his gifts as Obi-Wan did.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

4. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Well, you just totally delighted me with Tapestry, and now here you are bringing tears to my eyes. You certainly have been busy this morning, Kim! :p

How incredibly rich your inner life is, and how lucky we are that you share so generously!

I especially loved the little messages that came with each gift. And Obi-Wan's new padawan days setting the context for his continuing the tradition with Anakin, with all the emotion implied in the 'something's lost and something's gained' that surrounded both his acceptance as Qui-Gon's padawan, and now Anakin's acceptance as Obi-Wan's ... omg, just blow me away. Just blow me away. @};-

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    One word: perfect. [face_love]

6. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    =D= [face_love] =D=
    Beautiful, great, amazing... just perfect!

It was such a simple thing, really. And yet he was mortified to feel tears prick at his eyes. He reached inside and was surprised at the weight of it, the cool strength of it.

Jinn/Kenobi.

I also had tears in my eyes, that was so wonderful! [face_love]

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Again you are a master with words. Loved it@};-

8. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    This was wonderful! =D=

I especially liked the part with the name plate - Gift of the Heart day. [face_love]

The green wrapping paper made me think of Qui-Gon?s lightsaber. :)

I loved that Qui-Gon was willing to celebrate this holiday and yet he didn?t want any recognition for the gifts he gave to his padawan, and also that he himself didn?t want Obi-Wan to feel the need to get him anything by telling him ?I don?t like gifts much myself.?

With a small shake of his head and rueful smile, Obi-Wan placed a tiny box wrapped in pale blue at the foot of Anakin?s bed.

It was wonderful that Obi-Wan carried on the tradition with Anakin. Only this time, he gets to be just as elusive about the gifts as Qui-Gon had been. ;)

9. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Jinn/Kenobi.

No note this time.

It didn?t need one.

Those two words said everything that needed to be said.

:) Aww! That was just lovely. A perfect holiday story, very creative and believable too. My heart's in a tidy little puddle right now. ;)

=D= @};-

10. wolf_kenobi

wolf_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2007
    This was so wonderful! The gifts were so perfect. I loved that Obi-Wan carried on the tradition. Well done!

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved this. It was so sincere and heartfelt that I was just smiling the whole time. I really loved the little notes Qui put in with the presents and the nameplate was just perfect. This was so adorable.

Great, great job!

12. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I can just see a smirking Qui-Gon thinking of gifts. And they're just right. Wonderful story, Vadey. :)

13. Master_Tigris_Leigh

Master_Tigris_Leigh Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    Sniffle. The nameplate brought tears to my eyes. Absolutely beautiful! =D= [face_love] =D= [face_love]

14. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Aww. I loved this! It was so sweet. Aha, I love how Qui-gon would try to deny the fact that he gave his Padawan the gifts. Aww, and the last one, aww that was so neat, it meant so much, so much said with those two words. Aha. This entire story was quite lovely, I enjoyed it. Great job!

15. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Aw, this was absolutely lovely. Each of those gifts was so perfect, especially the last one. Great job, and thanks for brightening up my day. :)

16. dark_jedi_lover

dark_jedi_lover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2004
    This was lovely =D=

I especially liked this part:

Jinn/Kenobi.
    No note this time.
    It didn?t need one.
    Those two words said everything that needed to be said.

Beautiful!

17. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    :_| brought tears to my eyes.

What a wonderful little snippet.
    I must check the foot of my bed;)

=D= =D=

18. Nimloth

Nimloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2007
    I loved very much the sweet wisdom of Qui-Gon´s presents...:)
    BTW, it´s this Festival of Life all yours or it´s inspired in some tradition from somewhere?
    Nice story!=D=

19. padawan_learner86

padawan_learner86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    =D= Absolutely wonderful. ^^
    At times, tradition can be a wonderful thing, especially if it has such personal touches to it.

20. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Lovely story! What thoughtful gifts. [:D]

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Those gifts were sweetly touching, cutely fun, wonderfully wise!!!!! Huggles to Vadey for such a delicious ... gift to this reader!!!! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

22. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Past, present, future, spirit, heart....very nice gifts and holiday. It sounds very contemplative and perfect for Jedi. The name plate was a lovely last gift. And I wonder if Anakin is going to get socks? :)

23. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Adorable, well thought out, and touching [face_love] This is a wonderful fic that shows the master/padawan relationship of Qui and Obi perfectly. Well done, I enjoyed it very much! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.