main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph At The Movies (film discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, May 23, 2015.

1. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I actually didn’t like him at first. Collider had a watching the prequels series. That he didn’t like TPM is one thing. But no, TPM wasn’t the last film to use practice effects.

When I saw him and others do a spoiler-free review of Justice League, he said MoS was a near masterpiece. Out of boredom after finishing the 19 pre-A3 MCU movies, I started to watch anything DCEU-related on Collider to see what the problems were.

His knowledge and passion for comics changed my opinion of him and of the DCEU movies and got me back into comics.

This is terrible. He was pretty young and engaged to be married.

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I didn't always agree with him I don't always agree with any of there hosts but that's what makes this world so great we all have opinions! but deep down were all nerds and that's why I like podcasts like that its like hanging out with nerdy friends!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've never watched Collider, but I do know of Schnepp through his work on [AS], mostly Metalocalypse. Sad news indeed.

4. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Very saddened by the death of Jon Schnepp. SDCC weekend is always a time when you eagerly await each new bit of news or trailer to drop but the news about Schnepp's condition and now his passing has taken some of that usual joy out of all the anticipation. He'll be sorely missed.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was unfamilair with his Collider work, but just read about his involvement in Metalocalypse. Besides being a writer and director on the show, he actually designed the main characters (which are amazing since they each capture a certain metal archetype in a way that's both tribute and somehow funny in how specific they are without being an outright spoof). He apparently also provided animations for when the band toured "live".

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The flap over James Gunn's tweets is a "shocked shocked to find gambling going on in here" kind of thing. He's the guy behind Slither. He's sick and twisted. Brilliantly so, when it comes to his movies, I'd say, but anybody who's seen Slither would have predicted that his Twitter would be, um . . . not wholesome.

I mean, he got hired because of his previous work. And now everyone's shocked? I'm not defending his tweets, some of which were very gross, but all the hand-wringing and fake shock is annoying. I mean, Slither went too far for me in some areas; he can be grosser than I like. But in the context of art, I think he's kind of a genius. I mean, yes, Slither went too far for me in some scenes; I still give it four stars - it's a truly glorious piece of balls to the walls horror. On Twitter, these things do play differently, I get that, and no one's going to say that the tweets in question are "art." But come on - he got hired because of the perspective he brings to his movies and now he's getting fired for exactly the same thing.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    On the other hand, if Disney felt they had to fire Roseanne over her tweets, they probably felt they had to penalize Gunn.

8. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I was introduced to him through his documentary The Death of Superman Lives (which I highly recommend if how the sausage gets made in Hollywood is something you find interesting) and became familiar with him through Collider. He was a great host for a show that dealt with something he was passionate about because he had such a big personality that just spilled over and drove the whole thing forward.

He's never been a big name outside of the YT comic books/movies community but he's been involved with many things that people have heard of like Space Ghost Coast to Coast, The Venture Brothers, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and the animated Black Panther. I believe he's even mentioned that his first "gig" in Hollywood was as an extra in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  9. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    This is all news to me. I only know him from Collider Movies and Heroes. So I googled him and he has long wiki article.

I’m going to watch his Superman Lives documentary.

10. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    It's an at times fascinating watch. He's rather low key during the interviews in it (which isn't at all how he normally seemed) just sitting back at letting the various players tell their part of the story. And you will definitely see things in it that would eventually appear in current takes on Superman in the DCU.

Kevin Smith had him on his show after he finished the documentary to talk about the process of making at as well as his career in general.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  11. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Wow! Thanks! I had wondered if they had ever done a show together.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Lots of memorials from his colleagues about Schnepp, also ran across this one:

[​IMG]

Superman was a fan of his - I imagine that would bring him a lot of excitement.

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I've been waiting for an Unbreakable sequel for so long, but during M Night's slump I started to not really want one out of fear he couldn't satisfyingly follow it up anymore. But Split put him back in form and that trailer looks fantastic.

It may not be the Unbreakable trilogy M Night intended to make when he wrote the first film, but there's enough broadstrokes there that this new direction seems like it will work out in the end.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Diggy like this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Fantastic Beasts 2 Comic Con trailer.

Potential canon change: Dumbledore teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts? Possible change, or maybe he taught it before taking the Transfiguration post.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm kinda hoping Hayley Joel Osment has a cameo . (in Glass)

17. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Showed a lot more than I thought it would. May get more than 5 minutes of Godzilla

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So I just saw Unfriended: Dark Web which I actually liked (moreso than the 1st film) however scrolling through the wiki summary I got confused at a mention of an ending I didn't see but apparently this movie has two endings that air randomly. I like the one I got better compared to the one mentioned in the summary

19. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Okay. Looks like an Aquaman movie.

20. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Looks like they've reduced the eyes a bit. Still makes my uncanny valley alarm go off full tilt though.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I will see this movie. Just a question of whether or not I see it in 3D.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Hahaha christ that screenshot. It's like Cameron just doesn't realize how much of a losing battle he's fighting.

23. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    Just watched The Cured, an interesting twist on the zombie movie genre. What would the world be like if the infected could be cured? Would society be able to accept the formerly infected back into the fold after the horrors of what they did before they were cured? Really enjoyed this one. Will addend this post in a few days to include the link to a full review.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^I know, it's stupid.

I could see it if it was a tv project where they were hoping to create a series around the Bruce Lee character doing missions for British Intelligence (though that would totally be Shang Chi - Master of Kung Fu) , but to actually remake a Bruce Lee classic (and at least for me, the Bruce Lee classic) that is just so steeped in 70's ambiance as part of its charm, in the same format... it's stupid. At least when Fist of Fury was remade as Fist of Legend they had Jet Li in his prime and a bit more money to play with.

VadersLaMent likes this.