main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends At the Will of the Force (AU, time travel, Qui-Gon, Jaina, Valin, J/J)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lanta, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanta

Lanta Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2007
    Summary: Qui-Gon is rather surprised when, rather than dying, he finds himself in the future, helping an injured Jedi and her apprentice escape from their captors.

Characters: Qui-Gon, Jaina, Valin, and others. It is Jaina/Jag but that's only a minor part of the story.

Timeframe: Jaina's around 25, but it's AU (from near the end of NJO) so things are kind of different.

Notes: This is the first time I've written a Star Wars fic. I've been reading them non-stop for a few weeks now and kept getting so many ideas that I kind of had to write one of them. It is a one-shot, and I'm not planning a sequel - if anyone particularly cares to write one, be my guest. BTW, if you see any typos, please let me know!

-----------

It was very dark.

He had always thought that dying would involve a bright light of some kind, but apparently he had been wrong. He could see only faint shadows in the darkness.

He had made Obi-Wan promise to train Anakin, promise to guide the Chosen One. His padawan would not fail; of that, Qui-Gon was sure.

What would it be like, to be one with the Force? He supposed he was about to find out.

And yet? how could he be thinking these thoughts? Wasn?t something supposed to be happening? Greetings from dead Jedi perhaps, or a sudden knowledge of all the secrets of the universe entering his mind?

The shadows were becoming lighter.

Where was he?

As the room settled into a dull grey, he looked around him. This didn?t look like any kind of afterlife he?d ever heard of. It looked like? a corridor.

He stiffened, as he heard a cry. It was weak, as if the person ? woman? ? had been screaming for a long time, and her voice had almost run out.

He headed in the direction the sound had come from, touching his hand to his hip as he went. His lightsaber was there! Did lightsabers usually go with you when you died?

As he moved, he saw two figures leave a room, walking briskly away from him. He headed after them, but paused when he got to the door they had just exited. He looked through the small glass pane, and froze.

There, then, was the woman who had cried out.

He turned the doorknob, unsurprised to find that it did not open. He grasped his lightsaber, switched it on, and used it to break the lock before quickly entering the room. As he stepped in, a peculiar feeling came over him, one he did not recognise. It left him feeling vaguely ill.

The teenage boy sitting on the floor looked up as he came in. At first his face showed fear, and then it changed to surprise as he realised that his persecutors had not come back.

Qui-Gon knelt quickly, looking at the woman lying cradled in the boy?s arms. She was perhaps in her mid-twenties, short, dark haired, unhealthily thin, and covered in signs of beating and torture. He doubted she was conscious.

?Who are you?? whispered the boy in alarm.

?I?m a Jedi. Qui-Gon Jinn. What?s happened here; who?s doing this to you??

The boy looked at him strangely; perhaps not surprising, since he was evidently in the base of whoever had captured them. Somehow, he no longer thought this was the afterlife.

?The Sriilki,? the boy answered hesitantly, obviously not sure if he could trust Qui-Gon. ?They took us four weeks ago. They?ve barely touched me, but they hurt Jaina pretty bad.?

?I heard her scream,? Jinn told him grimly, and then surveyed them both. ?We need to get out of here. I can use the Force to lift her-?

?Not in here, you can?t,? said the boy unhappily. ?There?s ysalamari next door. If you?re a Jedi, you must have felt them.?

?Ysalamari? What are??? he stopped, shocked, as he realised what had been making him feel ill. He couldn?t feel the Force.

?The bubble should stop once we leave the room, we just need to get her out of here,? said the boy, seeming to understand what Jinn had just realised.

Qui-Gon started to speak, then shook his head. This could wait until later. Right now, he needed to get this child, and the injured woman, far away

2. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    I like!
    If your going to do PMs you can put me on the list!

3. Lanta

Lanta Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2007

Thanks :) I won't be doing PMs though because it's already complete ;)

4. Trickster-Lead

Trickster-Lead Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2007
    I liked this. A very interesting twist... Well done!

5. Nymue

Nymue Jedi Master

Jun 28, 2007
    It's funny, I was toying with a similar scenario a few months ago, only that one involved Mace Windu appearing on Tatooine during ROTJ. Don't think it will ever be written, though.

But ...

I love your take on this; and while I'd like to see more, it works fine as a one-shot story.

Great job!

6. Lanta

Lanta Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2007

Thank you, Trickster-Lead and Nymue :) I'm glad you both enjoyed it.

7. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    This was really interesting! I hope you will do some follow ups. I would love to see Qui-Gon interact with Luke.

8. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I know you said this was "finished" but it had great potential for a longer story. Would you consider that in the future? :)

9. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    Very interesting and original. :)

10. Lanta

Lanta Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2007

Thanks, you three :) I'm glad you liked it.

I'm afraid that I definately won't be turning this into a long fic. I've promised myself not to start any long fics, they'd be too likely to end up abandoned, or at least updated very rarely. I am thinking of writing more SW one-shots, so I suppose I *might* get inspiration for a sequel to this one, but I'm not making any promises.

Divapilot - I agree with you about Qui-Gon & Luke. I was originally planning to write it into the fic, but decided it would take the focus off the central 3 a bit too much. If I ever do write a sequel (again, no promises) such a conversation might well be included in it.

11. Jaina_Solo_Goddess

Jaina_Solo_Goddess Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 10, 2007
    It's probably a good thing that you won't be making this a long fic if you know yourself well enough to know that (like me) you'll probably end up abandoning/not updating regularly. I hate it when a fic I've really enjoyed just suddenly drops off and is forgotten, especially if it's at a cliffhanger. That's the main reason why I haven't done anything in the months that I've found this site.

This was a fantastic piece though, and it had almost no errors; a thing which I can't help but notice in other fics that kind of ruin them a little for me. The only thing I noticed was that quietened isn't a word, I think, in the phrase "but the efficiency with which he did the pre-flight checks quietened any fears", unless it's British or something like that, in which case I apologize.

All in all though, this was an excellent piece that I thoroughly enjoyed! I hope you can do more viggies, about whatever topic, because you're a very good writer!

~Jaina

12. Lanta

Lanta Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2007

Thank you for the compliments, I'm glad you liked it :)

Yeah, I hate it when fics are abandoned too... and it's kind of happened to two of my fics from a different fandom - when I started them I had time & inspiration, but now I'm doing an MA and my inspiration's all for *this* fandom, so they've just been sitting there unattended. So I won't be doing that again!

Quietened is indeed a word :) I just looked it up on dictionary.com to be sure, and it is apparently mostly British.

I do plan on more one-shots. I've had a few ideas, from serious angsty ones to silly things (I was quite tempted to do "Jaina goes back in time & becomes Wedge's mother" but I probably won't!) Who knows what I'll actually end up doing. I'll probably just get an idea (whether today or two weeks from now) and suddenly start writing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.