main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indi, IN ATTACK OF THE CLONES: THE IMAX EXPERIENCE Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Qui-John, Sep 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elven_Jedi

Elven_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    I hope they start selling tickets soon. Do any of you guys know what parts of the movie they have decided to kirtale?? Cause I want to know what there taking out.

2. Qui-John

Qui-John Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 1999
    Like Ron said, the information on the tickets will be soon forthcoming. We're just waiting for the A-OK to actually tell everyone.

Here's a big hint to tide you over: I would really stress getting your groups together to determine how many people will be interested in coming, and also setting up some sort of framework on actually either calling in (to the IMAX toll-free ordering line) or showing up live or by proxy by the beginning of next week, so that if and when any announcement does come down, you'll be ready to go.

Dang it. There's so much that's still not quite in place but awfully darn exciting to tell you, but we just can't. And our friends at the theater are working just as feverishly as we are to get it ready.

[Obi-Wan]"Well, at least not yet."[/Obi-Wan] :D

But trust us, it's worth it.

More as we can....!

P.S.: Oh, and by the way, did I tell you that the trailers should be (if all goes according to plan) up and running for this weekend's shows? As my buddy The Projectionist says, "The trailers will tell all." That is, it will probably go a long way towards answering some of the technical issues like the aspect ratio (IMAX is a square screen, but AOTC was shot 2.35:1) and just to see what it looks like on the BIG screen!

3. EMERALD_GREENE

EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I'm not sure if anyone has said anything or not but I want to say 'THANK YOU!' for all the efforts you guys are putting in to make this a great experience for all of us.

4. NorvelleJedi05

NorvelleJedi05 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2002
    Could you tell me more about Pre-Opening Night info? Thanks.

5. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Okay, folks, here's some of what you've been ever-so-patiently waiting!

• First, we can now tell you that there is going to be a midnight showing at 12:01 am, 11/1. The Indy Knights have been allotted 200 tickets for this showing, and we'll be hobnobbing alongside Fox Entertainment people as well as other local media people to fill the 404 seat theater that night.
    • Second, we can also tell you that the ticket presales are slated to begin October 25, with ticket prices as we have listed already. Presales are available only by phone: (317) 233-4629 However, check out this thread to begin organizing the ticket sales!
    • Well, it appears that our Saturday night makeup may be shifting more towards the Rebel (and no, Ron, they're not the "Burlap Brigade", you old Imperial, you!) :) end of things. It appears that our friends from the Quad City order will be heading to the Windy City to show those slackers that JediJeff how it's done. :) Also, our compatriots in Columbus, OH just learned that they will be getting AOTC:TIE in their own town, and subsequently, it appears that the Cleveland gang will be heading there instead. We'll miss every single one of 'em, and we want to make sure they know that the invitation is always open to come for a visit! Fortunately, our good friends from Evansville will be joining us, but it's beginning to look more like the second weekend, mainly to avoid the large Opening Weekend crowds.
    • Let's see, what else? Oh, yes. I'm sure that everyone's seen the blurb at the Official Site about the Special "Bantha Tracks #0" that will be given away on Opening Weekend, right? Wait until you see the guys that are going to be handing them to you! :)
    • Oh, and did you know that on Friday, LFL will be providing IK.com with a 200x200 "official seal of recognition" that we can post as part of this promotion, hmmm?

Well, that's about it. I'm spent for tonight, and believe it or not, there are still a few things - potentially BIG & FUN things - that are still being worked out!

As always, more info as we get it!!

6. Unicron

Unicron Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    There will be six of us from Louisville coming on November 1. I guess we will try to get tickets ourselves via phone on October 25. We'll probably go to the 1:00 PM show that day. I know a lot of you guys will probably be sleeping off the 12:01 AM show, but we hope to meet at least some of you there. :)

Qui-John, thanks for all the continued information. It's really appreciated.

7. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Sleep!? Bah who needs sleep. When AotC came out, I got home at 3:30 am and got up at 7 and went to work all day, then went and saw AotC again with Jedimama at 5:30 p.m. after work!

[grumpyoldman]And I liked it! [/grumpyoldman]

8. Jorg_Sacul_from_C2

Jorg_Sacul_from_C2 Jedi Master star 3

May 30, 2002
    So, let me get this straight... the midnight showing is actually Halloween night, after trick-or-treat, correct?

9. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
  10. NyghtFyre

NyghtFyre Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2002
    Hi All! I am new to the Indy area and very interested in joining the Indy Knights. I enjoy everything Star Wars so it seemed only natural to me to get involved with other SW people. I would love to attend the screening to meet everyone...and see the movie again (of course!)

11. JediMasterDan

JediMasterDan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2001
    Nyghtfyre, make sure you also check out www.indyknights.com. It is full of information about the group and upcoming events.

12. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    Just a little FYI to how big this thing is getting for Fan Clubs like the IK, 501st and Rebel Leigon. This is a e-mail the LFL sent to all particpating IMAX theaters:

SIZE MATTERS NOT. EXCEPT ON AN IMAXâ SCREEN!
    STAR WARSâ: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES
    COMING TO YOUR IMAX SCREEN NOVEMBER 1ST.

We are very pleased to have you onboard as an official exhibitor screening Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones in your IMAX Theater. We think you?ll agree this is going to be a historic event. The following provides you with some insight on how we plan to market Episode II - The IMAX Experience followed by some general guidelines. As you will see, we have a great deal planned to make this an exceptional release.

POSITIONING

BACKGROUND

Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones has grossed over $300 million domestically with a worldwide gross of over $625 million and still counting. The film has been well received by the legions of core fans who feel that this chapter in the Star Wars saga recaptures the spirit of adventure of the original trilogy. As a way of rewarding these fans for their endurance and overall loyalty, Lucasfilm in collaboration with our distributor Twentieth Century Foxâ and IMAX Ltd. will release Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones in the full IMAX format for a limited run this holiday season. Two key challenges exist. The first is to convince these core fans that going to see Episode II in the IMAX format is worth the investment, particularly when those fans may have seen the film multiple times theatrically and, at the same time we are releasing the film in the IMAX format, we are also making the film available on DVD and VHS for the first time. The second challenge is to inform these core fans that this is truly the full screen IMAX experience as opposed to simply running a 35mm print on an IMAX screen.

STRATEGY

Leverage one simple idea as a way to address the challenges we face with core consumers: BIG. The whole reason to see this at an IMAX theatre is the experience and that experience is about seeing a Star Wars film in a way that you did not see it in a theatre, that you can not see it on a DVD and in a way that you will never be able to see it again. BIG, in FULL IMAX 15/70 The Imax Experienceâ. This also will help differentiate this release from the relatively small 35mm print experiences the core audience may have seen. TARGET AUDIENCE Star Wars Fans ? over 70,000,000 strong! Males and females of all ages who, attitudinally and behaviorally, have raised their hands and said, yes, I?m a Star Wars fan either through participation in the Official Star Wars Fan Club, registration on the starwars.com site, purchase of licensed merchandise, participation in Star Wars conventions, membership in a club (i.e. 501st Stormtroopers Costuming
    Club) or ownership of any Star Wars video product. These fans are the foundation of the entire Star Wars brand. They eat, drink and obsess about Star Wars and they?re always looking for new ways to touch the brand. Well, we?ve got a new way this November at your IMAX theater. Mobilizing our Fans Star Wars arguably has the largest, most dedicated fan base of any film franchise in history. This fan base transcends generations and includes both males and females, kids and adults, professionals and students. This past spring we had over 20,000 visitors a day at our 3-day Star Wars Celebration convention in Indianapolis. You might also recall fans lining up months in advance for the Episode II release - the most hardcore lining up in January for a May release! Our fans look for every opportunity to embrace the Star Wars franchise. Seeing Episode II on an IMAX screen is a dream come true. So we are putting out a call to arms to our fans, asking for their help and support in making the Episode II - The IMAX Experience an event. As part of these efforts and to get our fans into your theaters, we have developed a unique online & fan club program. We are mobilizing our fan-run websites and fan clubs around the country

13. whojedi

whojedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
  14. jcarlisle

jcarlisle Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2002
    Hello all.

This is Joe in Dayton.I plan on being there for the midnight showing.I do have a couple of question.1.Can the tickets for the midnight showing be bought on Oct 25 through the phone number that was posted if not where do we get them.2.From what I saw posted the Banatha Tracks 0 will be available at the mid night showing if I am reading that right.I want to say that I am realing looking fowrd to the IMAX showing with the IndyKnights.I have it seen in the regular thater.I have seen it at a digital thater and now IMAX.
    May the Indy Force be with you
    Joe

15. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Joe,

In answer to your questions:

1) Can the tickets for the midnight showing be bought on Oct 25 through the phone number that was posted?

Answer: Yes. That is probably the best way for you out-of-towners ;) to obtain tickets.

2) From what I saw posted the Banatha Tracks 0 will be available at the mid night showing if I am reading that right...?

Answer: Good question. EDIT: And the official answer is YES!

Hope this helps!

16. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Ron and I had the opportunity to stop down at the IMAX theater today to see the first showing of the AOTC:The IMAX Experience trailer today. All I can say is WOW!

So, anyway, here is my synopsis of IMAX trailer. Please understand that all of this occured within 51 seconds, and it just FLEW by, so I'm having to do this from my memory (see: rusty innards) of the one viewing:

<<Regular-screen sized "green preview screen">> (This looks so tiny on the IMAX screen, btw!)

<<Regular-screen sized Fox logo>>

<<Regular-screen sized "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...">>

Immediately into the full screen Star Wars logo and Opening Fanfare

The Logo then expands directly toward the viewer and off the screen, cutting to Yoda catching force-lightning.

<<"Size Matters Not">>

Shot of Geonosis battle with Trade Federation ship crashing into ground after being shot down

Shot of Clone Transport ships in battle

<<"Except for IMAX">>

Great shot of "Bruce Lee" Yoda

Flashes of arena battle

Brief shot of Dooku/Obi-Wan sabre battle

Shot of the Reek charging (presumably the shot where it's coming for Jango

Another shot of the arena battle

<<"Attack of the Clones: The IMAX Experience">>

It looks like they went with a compromise letterbox. Since IMAX has a square screen, and AOTC was shot 2.35:1, some adjustments just had to be made. Everyone that I was sitting with agreed that you don't even notice the letterbox at the top - it is very, very slight, and you'll never even notice. However, we also agreed that just a tiny smidgen of the L & R edges were likely trimmed, but none of us noticed anything that was noticeably cut off or missing. We figure it's probably closer to 1.85 to 2:1 in its aspect ratio. Basically, for all intents and purposes, AOTC looks like it fills the *whole* screen, which really should come as no surprise. And it looks really, REALLY good. I'd put the image quality up against a DLP anyday!

My, oh my, this is going to be a lot of fun...! :D

17. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    Check out this Link!!!!!

IMAX

18. Xizor@TheView

Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President star 3 VIP

Aug 9, 1999
    Talk about some ultimate SAOA......

OF course I would think that soon we would be linked directly from the front page at SW.com

:D

19. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Wow that is some pretty nice SAOA. Sweet...

20. NorvelleJedi05

NorvelleJedi05 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2002
    Qui-John: Hi John. I want to promote the IMAX showing of Attack of the Clones around businesses in Bloomington, IN. Could you send me some promo posters for the event so I can distribute them around Bloomington and the IU campus. Thanks. I really appreciate it.

mtfbwy

21. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Like I was telling Brian, Fox has been a bit stringent in their release of promotional materials. The theatre has a very limited number themselves, so they really don't have any to share as of right now. But, I'm going to check with them to see if it'd be alright for us to whip a little sumpin-sumpin up on Word (or the like), just to use as advert flyers (aka. things to tack onto posts, etc.) using the IMAX name and possibly the Fox Yoda logo that we're using on IK.com's IMAX page.

So, we'll see!

Also, I know that many of the costumed performers are hanging tight until word comes down about the local bars' Halloween costume contests, which is completely understandable (and a bit unfair - from what I've seen, our costumed folks would kick just about anybody's a....er, butts in a head-to-head contest!) ;), especially since the money you guys would earn would go a long, loonnnng way towards funding your activities for the next year. I'm just hoping that by, say, the end of this week or the beginning of next week I can start accumulating the names of any of you fine costumers that will be in attendance on either the charity event Halloween night (see Ron's schedule), or during Opening Weekend. (I've got a spreadsheet going - imagine that!) :D

So, just let me know as you begin to find out, and I'll get the list of costumed volunteers who needs free tickets to the theater!

Thanks again, everyone!

22. Wango_Jango

Wango_Jango Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2002
    Hey, did everyone see that you can buy the poster with the giant Yoda??
    http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2002/10/news20021022.html

starwars.com Collecting News Article
    IMAX Posters For Sale
    October 22, 2002

Fans who are current subscribers to Star Wars Insider magazine can purchase the Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones -- The IMAX Experience poster directly from the Official Star Wars Fan Club.
    The poster, available in limited quantities while supplies last, features a giant Yoda striding across North America, brandishing his lightsaber. Created by artist David McMacken for the theatrical release, these are the same double-sided posters that will be on display in IMAX theatres across the U.S. and Canada when the giant-sized version of Episode II opens November 1.

The Official Star Wars Fan Club will ship the posters with collectors' standards in mind. Posters will be packed with real white glove handling, with added protection to prevent damage. They will be shipped rolled in round tubes, packed with bubble wrap inside triangular mailing tubes. Posters will be shipped priority to purchasers in the U.S., Canada, and wherever Insider subscriptions are available.

The IMAX poster will be available only while supplies last. To order, Insider subscribers can go to the official site of Paizo Publishing, home of the Official Star Wars Fan Club.

Posters are $24.95 each plus shipping for US customers. Additional shipping costs and mailing addresses for orders-by-mail can be found at

23. jcarlisle

jcarlisle Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2002
    Hello to all,

Joe in Dayton.First,AOTC:IME is going to be alot of fun.I was just wondering if an offical start time for the events on Thursday night,Friday morning as been set.Once again,I am looking foward to all the things that are being planned.See you all there.

Joe

24. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Ron's schedule that he posted in this thread provides the basic framework of Halloween night. The details of the schedule are still being worked out, but they'll fall along very similar lines as to what Ron has already laid out.

Hope this helps!

And now, the big REMINDEROLA!

TICKETS GO ON SALE TOMORROW MORNING AT 9:00 AM, AND WILL BE AVAILBLE BY PHONE AT THE IMAX Ticket Line: (317) 233-4629

Get ready for a truly unique experience, everyone. And, you should buy tickets the same way they vote in Chicago: early and often! :D :D

25. Qui-John

Aug 8, 1999
    Ok, you guys just gotta read this, courtesy of your local IMAX projection magician:

"Morning John!

When we, Doug, arrived in the booth today, CLONES was there in all of its glory! 6 boxes, 35 1/2 rolls of IMAX glory! Minnesota ran the soundtrack last eve and said it was "thunderous". At normal levels, it could be heard though the glass in the booth! As quoted by you, "My, this will be fun"!

All I can say is: :D :D :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.