main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best classic trilogy ending?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by mattalgrand, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattalgrand

mattalgrand Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2003
    my favorite ending so far is ESB. Its so dark and depressing that you just have to love it.

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Tie between AotC and RotJ.

3. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    AOTC, so dark.

ESB comes in a close second, cos y'know, the bad guys kinda won, and the bad guys never win.

4. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Original edition of RotJ. I love that Ewok song!

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

5. SithHolocron

SithHolocron Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2003
  6. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    ESB, because it's a cliff hanger and I loved those types of endings. AOTC is a close second, though.

7. jediknight_2033

jediknight_2033 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2002
    AOTC

You gotta love that action!

8. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    "You gotta love that action!"

Drama, too. ;) The meeting between the Sith Lords, the sending-off of the troops on Coruscant, the foreboding words shared by Yoda, Mace, and Obi-Wan, and the wedding, which is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful scenes of the entire Saga in terms of cinematogrophy and atmosphere.

9. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    A tie between ANH and the original ROTJ ending.

Alas...."begun this clone war has" is great too!

10. The___

The___ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I love both ANH & ESB endings.

What makes the ending of ANH is the damn good music.

What makes the ending of ESB is the damn good music.

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Tossup between ESB and the origianl ROTJ ending. I wish they did not get rid of the Ewok song!

12. The___

May 14, 2002
    "I wish they did not get rid of the Ewok song!"

Yeah, SW is not SW without a little Yub-Yub.

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I would have to say ESB...the mood is so dark and makes you feel drepressed just thinking about the characters' problems. Also, the music is just beautiful in this scene.

Although, ROTJ: SE comes in a close second.

14. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    "I wish they did not get rid of the Ewok song!"

Yeah, SW is not SW without a little Yub-Yub.

I disagree. The ROTJ:SE is the best SW ending and blows the original out of the water, the best change made by the SEs. The "Yub-Yub" ending was just silly and lighthearted fluff. The SE ending was much more epic and emotionally satisfying, the perfect ending to an incredible saga. It brings me to tears whenever I watch it.

The AOTC ending is a close second. It just reeks of impending doom and uncertainty.

I also like the TPM ending, it may seem cheerful and optimisic, but in reality is rather dark, punctuated by the chorus of kids humming the Dark Side/Sideous' theme.

15. The___

May 14, 2002
    "I disagree. The ROTJ:SE is the best SW ending and the best change made by the SEs."

I'm one of the few (or is it many?) who can't stand the SEs. I consider GL to be a SW blasphemer himself for messing with the OT (even though he is the creator). I was initially excited to see the SEs, but developed that negative opinion after seeing all three SE films.

"The 'Yub-Yub' ending was just silly and lighthearted fluff."

That's why I liked it. :D

"The SE ending was much more epic and emotionally satisfying, the perfect ending to an incredible saga. It brings me to tears whenever I watch it."

I love SW, but I don't get that attached (heh, kidding). I don't watch SW for the emotionally satisfying endings. The light-hearted fluff ending of ROTJ ended the saga on a more personal note IMO. I didn't feel the need to see the rest of the galaxy celebrating, because I don't know them. But I did know the main characters, and that's all I cared about.

But I didn't choose the OT ROTJ to be my favorite ending anyway, so what am I doing defending that ending?!!... 8-}
    Me = baka

16. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm not a fan of SE changes for the most part, but I do like the ending in the RotJ SE. It makes the victory that occurred at Endor seem like something of galactic significance (even if it's not very likely that the whole galaxy immediately found out Palpatine was dead). The scoring's also so moving.

That being said, I'm changing the title of this thread to indicate it's about CT endings only to make it appropriate for this forum.

17. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    The first time I watched ROTJ (the original) and it came to that Ewok song, I thought "What the heck?". But over the years that ending grew on me. I loved the way the ewok song slowly turned to John Williams' score. And it really felt as something more personal, like a family video. The SE has the same flaw as the prequels, it takes itself way too much seriously.

18. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    ROTJ is the best ending, because it nicely ties up the saga and balance is returned to the Force. Although I do love the ESB ending with so many cliff hangers and the overall darkness of it :D

19. midthomp

midthomp Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    Original ROTJ ending is the best of the lot.

20. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    The RotJ: SE ending is full of people we've never seen before. We haven't been following them through three movies. The original ending was about the people we've grown attached to celebrating witht he people who personally ensure victory. The OT has always been a more personal story than the epic scale of the prequels, and the Ewok song fits better in that sense.

Plus, I just plain love it. :p

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

21. ultimatejedi90

ultimatejedi90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2003
    I love the special edition end of ROTJ I mean it's so uplifting and inspiring I mean Anakin skywalker freed the galaxy of the evil sith and empire and no one knows who he is it's like in TPM he said

Anakin: I had a dream I was a Jedi I came back and freed all the slaves

in a way he did come back and free the slaves the galaxy was under slavery by the empire so anakin came back and freed all the slaves when I say came back he came back to the lightside that is why I love the ROTJ ending

22. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I like the ANH ending.

23. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    When does an ending begin? I personally like the ROTJ original ending if one says it begins with the scene unmasking Vader, leading to his burning by Luke on the pyre. Sebastian Shaw's brief bit ("Tell your sister you were right") is very touching and intimate. The original ROTJ ended just as it should have: events of galatic importance being distilled to the essence of family triumphs and tragedies, quiet and contemplative. The scenes flowed quite well through the Ewoks' song, to which I don't object, although I do object to the inclusion of Ewoks in general. Seeing the three Jedi ghosts, when the the PT has been completed, will bring the PT/OT circle to a fitting close.

I also like ANH's ending for the pseudo-Verdi music of the medal ceremony and ESB's for the dramatic, cliff hanger-like quality.

24. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    ROTJ (SE only).

Rick McCallum loves you!

25. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I also agree that the Return of the Jedi special edition has the best ending out of all the movies. It's the only special edition change I actually like, as it brings the saga full circle and gives us the epic conclusion we need.

And J-Solo, one of the things I disliked about RotJ as a whole was that it didn't take itself seriously enough. Star Wars is supposed to be an epic, not a tounge-in-cheek sci-fi B-movie, which is honestly the type of feel scenes like the whole Jabba's palace part or Ewok-Stormtrooper battle seem to have. If it wasn't for the excellently choreographed space battle and the excellently written throne room scenes (my favorite scenes in the series) I'd probably consider the movie in lower regard than TPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.