main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Best Served Cold - a vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Title: Best Served Cold
    Author: BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon
    Timeframe: Inter-trilogy
    Characters: Vader and another familiar face
    Summary: Not everyone admires the Jedi and old enemies have a way of getting even.
    Notes: Originally written for a challenge on the "Before" board.

Best Served Cold

?The information?s good,? the man growled.

?I am quite sure it is,? the Dark Lord answered. ?However, the transfer of credits will wait until we have determined the usefulness of it for ourselves.? He paused and then added menacingly, ?Unless you feel yourself ill-used and wish to alter the arrangement??

The man scowled and shook his head. He leaned his head back, his eyes coming up to peer directly into the dark mask of Lord Vader. ?You?ll find that I am well aware with your powers, Vader. Surely you would sense any deception on my part?? The man?s voice was sly, as was the smirk he directed at the towering figure.

?You tread on dangerous ground,? Vader warned.

The man shrugged, his lack of concern evident. ?You?d lose more than I would if you choose to kill me,? he said.

Silence from the dark mask, except for the always present hiss of the respirator. ?You?ll be dead, so how could I lose more than you??

The man could tell the dark figure was amused, but he didn?t dare to think that his amusement would save his life if the Sith chose to end it.

?I am, perhaps, the only being in the galaxy that hates the Jedi more than you and your Emperor,? he said firmly. ?That makes me an asset.?

?Many hate the Jedi,? the voice rumbled.

?Many say they hate the Jedi because it is wise for them to do so,? the man corrected. ?Few will say with any truthfulness that they are personally committed to seeing every Jedi eradicated from the galaxy.?

?And yet you can?? Vader asked doubtfully.

?I can and I do,? the man replied. ?Search my feelings; you know it to be true.?

There was a pause but the man sensed no questing touch through the Force. The silence dragged on but neither of them would do so much as shift his feet. Male posturing at its worst, the man mused. A bark of laughter escaped him at last.

?You find this amusing?? The Dark Lord asked.

?Vastly amusing, Lord Vader,? the man said. ?I?ll wait for my credits since it seems I have little choice in the matter.? He smiled darkly. ?But I predict that you and your Master will soon be asking me to track down more Jedi for you and you?ll find my price has gone up.?

?You sound quite sure of yourself.?

?I?m good at what I do,? the man said. ?And I was doing it long before your Master decided that he wanted to settle his backside on an Imperial throne.?

?You do not show respect, bounty hunter,? Vader said without ire.

?I?ve got no time for social niceties,? he said as he settled his blaster more securely on his hip. ?I?ve got some Jedi to hunt down.?

?Tell me,? Vader said curiously. ?Why do you hate them so??

?That?s my own concern. I?ll get the job done and that?s all you need to worry about.?

?Very well,? the Dark Lord conceded. ?But you must not let your anger against the Jedi make you careless,? he warned. ?It would be a shame to lose an asset.?

The man snorted. ?And you?re one to lecture me about anger??

?There is the hotness of rage, which you harbor, and there is the coldness of revenge,? Vader replied. ?It is best to know the difference.?

The man?s hard blue eyes peered into the opaque blackness of the mask. ?My heart is cold, Lord Vader, rest assured.? He lightly touched the broken circle marring his face and then gave a jaunty salute to the Sith Lord. ?And when I come back I?ll have found another Jedi for you to destroy.?

2. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Nice vignette, BrokenNose. It's been a while since I've seen anything with Xanatos... I'm assuming that's who the other guy is. I don't think I know of anyone else who has that broken circle. [face_thinking] This almost sounded like the beginning of a longer 'fic, but it works as a viggie. I really like the interaction between the two. It would be interesting if Vader ever found out the reasons behind that hatred of the Jedi... Great work. :D

3. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    I remember that challenge! And this was great. =D=

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This was an excellent challenge response Broken! :D

5. wendynat

wendynat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    ?There is the hotness of rage, which you harbor, and there is the coldness of revenge,? Vader replied. ?It is best to know the difference.?
    I love that line!

This is a great challenge response, I really enjoyed it! Like some others have said, it works as a viggie but it could definitely be adapted to a longer fic.

6. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Wow...was that really Xanatos?

And what a chilling exchange! How fitting and twisted it would be for Xan to do this final betrayal of the Jedi... :eek:

Great job!

7. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    Oh, that was good. You had me giggling a few times at Vader, but overall the piece was quite powerful. :)

Xanatos? [face_worried] That could be interesting.

_PSK_

8. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    Sweet Force, how old is Xan?

Loved it!

9. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Nice fic, and hurray! Xanatos is in it!! I have a thing for fics Xanatos is in, and I've never actually read him in canon...very strange...

10. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    =D==D=

Wow that was a truly excellent vignette. Great job!!

11. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Oh, an excellent vignette! :D

I especially liked this!

I agree with the others, this would make a wonderful longer fic. hint, hint. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.