main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Blue screen costume" help......

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by AWB1989, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    Hey there.

I have decided to have a couple CGI characters in my fanfilm.

In signs and lotr they used a "bluescreen costume".

Below is a screenshot from the making of signs....it shows what I mean:

[image=http://mywebpages.comcast.net/awb1989/bluescreen_costume.jpg]

Well.....does anyone have any ideas on how I could buy something like this or buy materials and construct something like this for a relatively cheap price?

Now for those people out there that want to know why I want a costume like this:

1. I will use the bluescreen costume footage for realistic character animation...using the video as a viewport background in a 3d app.

2. I will then key out the bluescreen costume and take my black and white matte and invert that footage and apply it to the CGI character video and composite it all together that way.

Thanks in advance,
    Aaron

2. Seijin_Dinger

Seijin_Dinger Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2003
    well first of all you need to make or aquire a blue screen (or green screen which is now a days more comon)
    The easiest way to do such is with paint.
    I believe the proper blue is called Ultramat Blue and am not sure on the green, for you guys who know RGB values, you want a blue with a R,G,B Value of 0,0,255 or a Green with a RGB Value of 0,255,0

when you paint you want to paint the whole area at once, do NOT do it in sections because if the paint doesnt dry semi evenly you will get color discrepancies.

Lastly when you film in front of the screen, you want the whole area to be lit evenly, again color discrepencies and the camera are a bad thing, a simple unlit area will appear as a different color, same as one with a shadow over it, making blue/green screening also known as chroma keying a lot more dfficult because when you key out the color you are telling the NLE (Non Linear Editing) System to remove ANY color with that value.

Hope that helps some

3. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Try looking for a Danskin store or any store that sells leotards for dancers. Check with the 501st and find out where people get their black unitards for under the armor. This is basically the same thing, in blue.
    You can add the markers yourself pretty easily with masking tape.

Have fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.