main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Brand Spanking New York Yankees Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Yanksfan, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Moby...I feel for you...and I know what you have to go thru.

I being a Dallas Cowboys fan living in NJ. I grew up in Giants country...and have lived in Eagles country for 16 years...

It is brutal.

Nelson is back on the Yankees. :)

2. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Not for nothing...I am still a little pissed that Mondesi is gone. Yeah his bat wasn't the greatest, but he had a RIFLE in right that was the best on the team. Bernie is an ICON but doesnt have the arm anymore. Godzilla's is ok. It takes a natural gift like that to hold triples to only doubles, and doubles to long singles.
    Damn I'll miss him.

~DG~

3. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    Gary...Mondi is a decent player...but he is a cancer.

He would have caused even more problems had he stayed.

4. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I agree. Mondesi had a great arm, but I think his negatives outweighed his positives. And I like Dan Delucci. He's only played a few games for us so far, but everytime they put him on that field he plays his ass off. He's not a selfish player, and I really respect that.

Do wish we had atleast one arm out there though. Makes me wish we had held onto Shane Spencer actually. He had a decent gun.

5. JEDI_SMURF

JEDI_SMURF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I agree as well. Dave Dellucci is proving to be a worthy replacement for Modesi in right. He also gets along with his teammates.
    A commentary on ESPN. Go hide the women and children. Your negativity directed at the Yankees is not only unwarranted, but annoying as well. You think the Red Sox would just waltz on to a division title, leaving the Yanks in the dust based on the trades made. You fail to realize that the Yankees' trades were just as good, if not better. Before the trade deadline, the Yanks were only up 1 1/2 games. The Red Sox have lost ground in the division race. Also, your comments about Mariano Rivera last night on SportsCenter were completely one-sided. He has not had a set-up man since Jeff Nelson was traded to the Mariners. In Mo's history of closing, he usually lets in a run or two in the ninth when he is up by 2 or more runs. When the opposition is only down by a run, he shuts down the door. He has won championships for the Yanks before and will continue to do so. If you want to talk about the ineffectiveness of Mo, then compare his stats when the Yanks did not have Jeff Nelson to when they do.
    I am leaving for New York City and will be there tomorrow to see the Yankees-Mariners game. GO YANKEES!

6. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    He has not had a set-up man since Jeff Nelson was traded to the Mariners.

What about Mendoza and Stanton? And lets not forget high the Yankee brass was on Contreras. However, that being said, I still think the Nelson trade was the best deal the Yanks made since the season started. It cost them no prospects, a player they had for a couple of weeks, and some cash. And in return they got a guy they should've never let walk in the first place.

7. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    I am glad to see the Yanks did well while I was away in what seemed to be Diamondback turf. I did not know how the Yanks were doing but I did get to see on CNN that the Yanks got Nelseon back. I was like WOW and was quite pleased to read that. :D

8. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Not for nothing...I am still a little pissed that Mondesi is gone. Yeah his bat wasn't the greatest, but he had a RIFLE in right that was the best on the team. Bernie is an ICON but doesnt have the arm anymore. Godzilla's is ok. It takes a natural gift like that to hold triples to only doubles, and doubles to long singles.
    Damn I'll miss him.[\b]

This coming from an Astros fan ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again....Mondesi was a flash in the pan for the Yankees. It sucks that Ventura is gone, but I think Aaron Boone is a great addition to the team, as is Delucci.

9. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    Marie...are you telling us that Gary is a poser? :p

10. JEDI_SMURF

Nov 20, 2002
    I'm back from my first trip to Yankee Stadium. I am quite pleased with the atmosphere and the crowd. I sat in the Tier seats in front of the left-field foul pole. The only area I could not see was in the left-field corner. I'd go again in a heart-beat. It was a fabulous experience.
    I'm glad Mondesi is gone. He keeps proving he is lockerroom poison with his comments about Joe Torre. Hey Raul, have fun in the desert. And no, they won't let you swim in the pool during the game, so don't even whine about that.

11. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Thanks for the support everyone! Nice to finally hear some freindly comments! A quick update on the standings:

____________W L PCT GB
    NY Yankees 70 45 .609 -
    Boston......68 49 .581 3

Still four back in the loss colunm isn't it great! :) In another two weeks it will be six back in the loss colunm and by the middle of September they may be as far back as ten games. I love this time of year when the Red Sox fade.

12. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    Moby...that is what we are here for...

speaking of which...I need to get back into the Boston thread

13. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Nah, I'm only kidding. He's a Yankees fan :) He's wicked smart.

14. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm making a prediction now. I predict Boston will finish 1.5 games back behind the Yankees, earning them a Wildcard spot.
    However, my itch to see Kansas City win means I predict they will win a first round series against the Sox should they play, and Seattle will mop the floor with them.
    Sure it's part prophecy and part speculation, but that's the fun of baseball threads!

15. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    What the hell happened last night?

I saw the Yanks were up 5-1...later when I took my daughter home I turned on 880, and Matsui had just driven in Bernie to make it 8-7...

16. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Bullpen.

Freakin' bullpen.

*Again*.

They're killing me, here.

17. JEDI_SMURF

Nov 20, 2002
    Have the Yankees won the World Series since Jeff Nelson was traded after the 2000 season? No. it's all about the championships, baby.

That bullpen is a disaster. There is no excuse to score 5 or more runs a game and lose. ?[face_plain] The starters have been great. The bullpen stinks! :eek: My kingdom for a descent reliever. Their play in late July and August could haunt them if the Red Sox can win consistently with anyone on the mound besides Pedro.

18. Ghosts_Of_Anakin

Ghosts_Of_Anakin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    That Hitchcock has got to go. What a train wreck he is. You know...Steinbrenner tosses Benitez after only a month...ok so he blew a game but he didn't do THAT bad...and yeah I love Nelson...but yet after Hitchcock has blown about 5 or 6 games ALL YEAR SO FAR he STILL remains in pinstripes. What is wrong with this picture?!?!??! The guy's a starter and right now I don't even think I'd trust him with that.

Anybody else remember the good old days in 1999?

Jeff Nelson
    Mike Stanton
    Ramiro Mendoza
    Mariano Rivera

Now that was a fearsome foursome. Who the hell is Chris Hammond and why isn't he gone after giving up that homer in Boston???

19. Jedi_Satimber

Jul 3, 2002
    Mike...we can not toss RP's out after everytime they gave up runs.

I mean, it happens.

Does it happen on a consistent basis? No.

And how about the '96 season...when Mo was the set up man...and Wetteland was the closer?

20. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    I need to ammend my prophecy. After realizing how good the rotation is in Oakland, they've got the wildcard, again...

21. DarthMoby

Apr 10, 2002
    Can prophecies be amended? I think there are rules against that.

22. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Sure, as long as it's not already written out on paper. Or it could be a forked prophecy, where one result triggers a whole different prophecy. Or you could in theory expose me for the charletan I am. But where's the fun in that?

23. DarthMoby

Apr 10, 2002
    *almost falls from head spinning*

Forget I asked! :) 8-}

24. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Mowahahahahaha. My blabbering is unstoppable! Great game by Mussina last night. You have no idea how much is miffs me that he could've been a Met for a few million more.

25. JEDI_SMURF

Nov 20, 2002
    I know how I am going to die. I will suffer from a brain aneurysm watching Jeff Weaver pitch. They will find me dead on my couch. Every pillow I own will be hurled at the TV. A blood vessel in my head will explode and kill me instantly after I find out there is no more pillows to throw. My TV remote will still be in my cold, dead hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.