main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Breaking News: Top Gear's Richard Hammond "critically" ill in hospital after high speed crash!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Aquila_Skywalker, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    The producer of the show said if the bbc make them tone it down, he will leave. If the bbc ask them to continue without hamster, he will leave.

So basically it all rests on what richard says and what the bbc says.

IMO i think for the time being, they should carry on without hammond and just have jeremy and capt slow. Then if hammond makes a good enough recovery to come back, carry on as normal. If hammond can never return to the show (please dont make this so [face_praying] ) then i say broadcast this upcoming serise as the last, with the last episode being a tribute to hammond and a 2 hour special, showing all the best bits from down the years.

If top gear is going to end, give it a proper send off bbc, dont just cancel it between serise.

2. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    :_|

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, I assume the new series has Hammond in it, at least up to the point where they film him testing the jet car, which judging by the release date must've been near the end of the filming of the series.

So, I assume if it runs, it will be much like old Top Gear.

Whether they make anymore after this remains to be seen.

4. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    If Jeremy Clarkson has anything to say about it Top Gear won't end he said in his column in the SUN that he's going to fight to the end so Hamster has a program to come back too.

5. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I have a feeling, given the amount of support the public are giving him, and financial aid to the Air Ambulance Services, I think Richard Hammond would...not feel obliged to, but would want to come back to say thank you, knowing that he has a strong fan base rallying behind him...and the public WANT him back dispite what has happened! Top Gear makes Sunday nights fun and interesting!

Even if he doesn't get behind the wheel of a car on the show, he could still present. It would just require altering the format of the show to accomodate this, that's all.

I wouldn't fear the end, not just yet...I hope! [face_praying]

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah, Hampster could do the studio parts more, while Jeremy and May go out and do the stuff.

Although, the challenges wouldn't be as fun, but you can't have everything.

7. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I think he would still play a part in designing the stunts. He could come up with the challanges like a ringmaster!

I'm sure they'll figure out a way around it until he is in a position where he wants to get behind the wheel of a car again.

EDIT: Have a read of this! Class! [face_laugh]

8. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Please note though that I was speaking based on my limited knowledge at the time. The latest pictures would appear to indicate that the initial reports of the car breaking apart were inaccurate (as always seems to happen with the news these days, no integrity in reporting the facts anymore) and that the roll cage did remain fully within the car. Also, I agree that it was true that he had to be cut out of the frame to be moved.

9. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Jeremy's artical was briliant. And he's right, now comes our fight to make sure there is a show for hammond to come back to!!

if anyone comes across any online petition sites, post the links here. I will not stand idly by when my favourite tv show is beign threatend with cancelation!

:mad: TOP GEAR WILL STAY ON THE AIR!!!

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Agreed, it must return.

No worries with the info Phill, most newpapers or shows say different things. You only know what information is given to you.

[face_laugh] @ that article. Clarkson is a funny man, and makes good points.

11. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    I dont want the show to be canceled either, but signing online petitions are about as useful as going out to your back garden with a sign post saying 'Dont cancel Top Gear', they just dont work.

12. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    * anyway.....

...I cant lead you to a petition site for Top Gear (although I would vote myself!!!), but I can lead you to the fantastic people of the Yorkshire Air Ambulance service who helped save Hamster's life. Yorkshire Air Ambulance Site

Can I also commend Mr C for praising the NHS too - they deserve a pat on the back under the load they work with and the constant critisism they get.

13. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    =D= @ Clarkson, was a great article and was a lot more true than some of the other stuff I've seen on the situation, but then its what you would expect from a man right in the middle of things, when all is said and done no one has a right to decide if this was a step too far other than the presenters taking the risks. I mean could you imagine if someone tried to cancel F1 because of a crash, or Football coz someone gets knocked out by a nutter elbowing him in the face, or his leg broken by a reckless tackle?

And Jace, I agree, though the problem with the NHS isn't the staff but the management.

14. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Clarkson's article in The Sundays Times made me laugh [face_laugh] it's pretty obvious that they are all really good mates

I first heard of the accident as I was doing a rather pedestrian 175mph in an Aston Martin round the programme?s test track in Surrey. The producer, Andy Wilman, called from the central London edit suite to say that Hammond had had what he called ?a big one?.

But there was no sense of urgency. Yes, on his previous run he?d reached a speed of 315mph and there was every chance he?d been doing a similar speed when the accident began. And yes, he?d rolled over several times before coming to rest upside down with his helmet full of soil and his head buried in the earth. What?s more, he had been unconscious when the paramedics arrived.

But he?d come round, insisted that he should do a ?piece to camera? and had even had a fight with the air ambulance crew who thought that on balance it?d be better if he got on the stretcher to go to hospital in Leeds. Richard?s like that. He spends most of his spare time fighting.

Clarkson talks about his hamster

15. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    GO ON HAMSTER!!!

That's what I call having a pair! TOP STUFF!!! He wants the show back, even if he has to do it from his bed! =D=

16. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    In a bid to save the motoring show, the 36-year-old is also prepared to appear on television live from his hospital bed as BBC bosses have said they will only screen the new series if Hammond is well enough to appear on it.

Hah score +1 for loopholes. :D

17. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    He's got some moxey to pull that out of his hat!

The BEEB would be foolish to scrap the show. Look at the support he has got from the public! Knowing the BBC, the only thing they care about is ratings...could you imagine the figures for his comeback show? o_O

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Ratings is exactly why they will keep it, it's popular.
    It's stupid to axe a high-ratings show.

But the BBC do have a habit of finishing some of their best stuff.
    They dropped 24 after only two series. They axed Robot Wars, and they sold The Simpsons to Channel 4.

They do have odd ideas sometimes.

19. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    They should so bring that back, was such a great show.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Channel 5 bought it for one series, then axed it.
    It had become crap by then, but the formula and entertainment value was still there.

The Techno Games Robot Olympics as also good, but they also axed that.

The BBC won't axe Top Gear cos the ratings for it are big. They may just change the format.

21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, it was bound to happen. Richard Hammond Jokes (which should be fine seeing as he's getting better and he'd be the first to laugh blah blah blah) Do not read if offended blah blah blah

What's the difference between Richard Hammond and a VW camper van?
    Only one of them dies in top gear

What do Richard Hammond and Kate Moss have in common?
    Both got smashed on top gear

22. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    Robot wars had had its time. it was getting repetative and boring

23. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005

lmao!!

24. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004