main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq BrotherHalo's C3 Report

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by BrotherHalo, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    DAY 1 REPORT:

Yes, the lines here are frickin' crazy!

We spotted Roman and David for the first time across the street taking pics of a fan-made Chewbacca while the 501st were lining up for their parade.

Then on the way to get in line for entrance, as we were walking down the street, I spied this fella who looked amazingly familiar, despite having a ballcap pulled low over his brow. I stopped, walked back a few steps and sure enough. Temuera Morrison - Jango Fett - was working with a camera crew. I went up to the guy and asked if I could shake his hand. He smiled, stuck out his hand and said "Pleasure to meet you" in that slick deep accented voice of his - and man, that dude has a strog grip. Naturally, that was my first geekgasm of the day. After that, he walked up the steps of the FC entrance, and a few people looked upset as to why this guy was just going up there. It took everyone a few seconds to finally realize who it was and I just smiled as some of them pointed looking at Tem. What a cool thing to see and the con hadn't even started yet!

We saw Roman and David for the second time while we were lining up for entrance in the Fan Club line. What a joke. That line wound all the way around the back of the building, up onto the roof, and bent around the backside of the RCA Dome. And the wind was a blowin' like nothin' else. It was COLD. But the line finally started moving, and we FINALLY got into the center by about 1:30. There were still other fan club members behind us in line. The non-FC members were going to be let in at 1:00, but all FC members had to get in first. I don't think any non-FC members got in on Thursday until about 3:00. It was a madhouse.

After seeing Roman and David at line for the C3 Store, talking to jedibb123 off and on while they were in line, we knew we weren't gonna be able to do it on Thursday, so we didn't try. We ran around the Exhibit hall in the afternoon. Oh. My. God. The MR Clonetrooper helmets are AWESOME. I'll take some pics of them tomorrow and post them. They freakin' rock. I also took some pics of the upcoming Vader and Maul Koto statues and some other Code5 and MR stuff. The Gentle Giant display was mouthwatering, as was the Lego setup. They had some Lego builders in there working on a SUPERSIZE Episode III Republic Battle Cruiser. Holy cow it rocked my world. Hasbro also had all their stuff out - figures, playsets, Attacktix, you name it. The mini-blind people were set up - wow. And of course, all sorts of vendors from all over. Including those scalpers Brian's Toys. Whoa, did I say that out loud? Anyway, that room is too overwhelming for one visit, so next time I hit it, I'll take more pics. Sweet jebus that room is full of goodies designed to make your pocketbook ache with emptiness.

We checked out the Fan Fair Hall. It had Road Squadron, the WOTR X-Wing, life-size origami sessions, the diorama builders - Jess, you would've gone gaa-gaa over the Death Star Hangar Bay scene - I'll post that pic as soon as I can. A few collector clubs and FF chapters had tables, the 501st had a table, of course. The stormtrooper olympics were going on. And it was all pretty cool...

Oh yeah, walking around to and fro, at least twice I ran into Leeanna Walsmann. She's a lot shorter in person. I didn't stop her either time I saw her as she was quickly passing by. She probably preferred to remain safely anonymous without fans stopping her, since she lacked any sort of entourage...

Since the C3 Store line was a wash (and the "Fast Path" idea sunk like a stoe - supposedly, they ran out of Fast Path bracelets all on Thursday and nobody ever caught onto the concept) we decided to just grab a bite to eat and wait for the Opening Ceremonies. At this time, I knew Roman and David weren't gonna make it since they were still in line. Ben, Sonya, and Destyni still might, since they were closer up front. Well, we waited outside again for this line - almost on the roof. Rather, this time, just the stairs. This was limited to 5000 seats, and people were pretty upset at the length o

2. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    DAY 2 REPORT:

Okay, Day 1 was a wash. We were overwhelmed, we had decided NOT to take the stroller for either Matthew or Jonathan to sit in (BIG MISTAKE), and decided to plan better. Now that we had a better understanding of the sheer terror of organization for lines, we knew we would be spending the day doing one or two things. First and foremost - SPEND MONEY. So while Julie and her cousin dashed off for the C3 store, I dashed off to the Exhibit hall to get in line for the GG Sandtrooper Corporal Bust. When I got in line, it wrapped halfway around the room. And it's a big room. So it was a big line. And this was just the line to get a ticket to get the bust. Sadly, only one ticket per person per day. And the limit QUICKLY passed by. So, Joseph, I got your bust. Jess, I'm still working on getting you one. I can't say that I can guarantee it, though, but I'm trying!

After that, I headed over to the Store line to see if I could get in. For some strange reason, they were a bit unhappy to let people into the line. Yes, that was sarcasm rearing its ugly head. Well, the 501st DST let me in and I got in line for the goodies. Julie had been in line a little after 9. By the time we got our stuff, it was 1:30. So it wasn't too bad, but I felt sorry for the people who were in line behind us. Both Thursday and Friday, they capped the lines, as Roman said. Good thing they did. By the time we bought stuff, a lot of other stuff (Framed Pin Sets, Stuffed Yoda plushes, and others) were already sold out. Not sold out for the day, but COMPLETELY sold out. Some shirts were sold out - others had limited sizes. The Vader hooded sweat shirt and Yoda hooded sweatshirt were sold out. Yoda sold out on Thursday. Things were selling like hotcakes. But they had some nice stuff.

After that, we lugged out the lewt and made the call to go see the costume pageant instead of the Episode III Spectacular with the goodies that Rick McCallum was going to show. He has another session Saturday, so maybe then... So after grabbing something to eat, and gawking at the amazing costumes, we headed inside the 500 Ballroom for the pageant. Wow. Just - WOW. My fave? The General Grievous costume. Or maybe it was the Vintage 12 back Luke figure... I know, I'm just teasing you all without posting pics, but I'm gonna empty the memory cards from my camera and go to sleep. I'll try to post them asap.

Well, after the Pageant, we decided to call it a day. The boys were tired, we were tired after running full-tilt the day before and the HOURS of standing in lines today. We met up with Ben, Sonya, and Destyni and headed over to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner and split afterwards.

Tomorrow, Day 3. We're skipping the Lucas Presentations. They plan on handing out tickets at 6am. So if you aren't in line at that time, don't count on a ticket. Problem is, people plan on lining up overnight. Linda told me some Idaho FF people were camping out overnight - literally. They had a tent and everything. They're letting her get tickets. She told me to use my RSA powers, but I don't quite have the clout she does.

So yeah, the people I met today? Nobody "famous". I finally met Charles and Tauni Orndorff from the Mountain Garrison. They were in the C3 store line behind us. Very nice - I just wished I got to talk to him more. And I finally met MJF! At the pageant. She was sitting with some friends, I saw her standing up and ran up to her. What a sweet girl she is! We chatted it up and had to break up before the pageant started.

Tomorrow the 501st is having the Droid Hunt. I'm thinking of participating, but depends on what else happens. Regardless, I'm in armor tomorrow. And Sunday, too, since the Legion picture was rescheduled for Sunday morning.

Until laters, folks!

3. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    Wow, it sounds like you guys are having a great time! Man, how I wish I could be there [face_jealous]. Thanks for the update Bob, and try not to think about the fact this event which you waited so long for is already half over. :p

4. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    I know! Time is certainly flying here. I was hoping to see a bunch of things here, but quickly realized that ain't happening. Too bad, but it's still a great time!

We'll see as much as possible, meet some new people, take lots of pics, and have some good memories. Unlike some of the whiners on the C3 board.

edit
    Oh yeah, I've talked to Wook several times. She got in Thursday afternoon, but I haven't seen her yet. She picked up Gary from the airport this afternoon. But I hope he already has a pass. They temporarily suspended ticket sales for tomorrow. Don't know why though. I'll have to try to get a hold of her tomorrow...

5. black_8ight

black_8ight Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2004
    I wanna be there so bad :_|

6. Jerahl

Jerahl Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2004
    Don't we all .. .. But the closest thing we can get to it is the pics taken be the people there so Take tons of pics guys!!

7. bobasparxx

bobasparxx Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2003
    I know what you're going through BOB. Lines...lines...and more lines! Lines to the bathroom, lines to the exits, and lines to the back of lines! Hope you're keeping your sanity. If you can, try to grab some freebee exclusive happymeal style give-a-ways. Take care-Jason.

8. JediMexx

JediMexx Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2004
    Great post Bob! I think you summmed up all of our experince as well. Funny enough David got the 499th of the 500 Yoda plushes available (I got one too) and I got like 260 out of 275 for the frame set. The 501st part was a blast!!!! Tons of the actors were their and we got to drink it up. David got some really nice photos to show. Our fanboy moments were when we got some photo ops with the actresses that play..Baris..Shaak Ti....Luminia (however you spell it)..and Ayala' As you will see from the photos these Jedi's couldn't resist the dark side!

The absolute highlite of the con has to the the Spectacular!!!!! I won't post the contents but man! They basically cut about 20 minutes of scense from EIII to make a a trailer that starts from the begining of the movie to the end! Man!!!! I got chills!!!!!! They showed us the regular move version then the digital .... man the digital is pure awsome!!! I can't wait.

We also caught the Lucas forum which we waited in line from 3AM in the cold rain! It was pretty cool...Lucas promised more of the animated series, the films in 3D, and a live action TV show that takes place between E3 and E4.

As Bob said ... we are tired but having fun! We also ran in Wook, Bob, and Ben as well today. It was good to see some fellow peps from ABQ!

9. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    A TV SHOW!!! That's amazing. It brings hope for life after Episode III. More of the cartoons will be nice as well.

10. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    where have you been! i havent seen you yet and its ending soon.

11. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hey all!

I'm glad to be back...feet tired, and I'm still having dreams of standing in line..;).

Bob - sorry we never saw each other! I only ran into David & Roman a couple of times, and Ben & Sonya & Destyni right before I left for the airport. Pure craziness.

Thursday got to the airport and met my friend PJ who I've only talked to on the boards, so it was great to meet her in person. By the time we got to the hotel, the line for the opening ceremonies was huge, so we booked it down there pronto. Ray Park stopped to say hello to our group - as nice as ever. We finally got into the ballroom and got pretty decent seats. We sat behind the Puerto Rico FF club. One of them was videotaping a lot of the presentation, so I'll post his link (if it works). The jazz band was playing "Imperial Funk" which was really groovy. The highlight was the video montage of the new soundtrack. One word - omygodgoosebumps.

Friday morning got up and fully caffeinated. [face_tired] We stood about 2 hours outside in the outside in the freezing rain, but Rick McCallum did come by and said hello. My hands were so frozen I couldn't even feel the handshake. My goal on Friday was to get into the Hayden interview (although it was a phone feed only :( ). Temeura Morrison hosted as well and despite some of the bad phone connection (Hayden was in the middle of nowhere Italy) He took questions for about 30 minutes or so. Really down to earth guy and excited to see how it all ends up on the big screen. Finished the day shopping at the dealers hall and picked up the rest of our missing MicroFleets and some Lego sets.

Saturday we got into the E3 spectacular. OH.MY.GOD. The first time it played, something was messed up with the digital projector, so Rick played it again. I think I held my breath the entire 6 minutes. The visuals and effects are just incredible.

Gave up on ever getting to the c3 store when they told us it was an 8 hour wait. Although a guy outside the store was selling his Vader figs for $60/ea. They really messed up on the whole store. People were walking out with piles of figures etc., while the rest of us never even had a chance. That was the only sour note in the whole weekend.

Saw Star Wars in 30 minutes which was freakin' hilarious. The guy who played Jabba the Hutt/Admiral Ackbar had us rolling. Caught the Archive room and watched some of the Fan Films..."Figure Club" (a take on collecting & Fight Club) summed up the figure hoarding mentality perfectly....

The best part of the weekend was meeting so many cool people that shared a common obsession. It was the fans that made this convention special. Even with the crowds, the lines, the snafu with the store, everyone was pretty friendly. One of the cops patrolling the con was talking to us and he said that they have arrests even at bible conventions, but they never had an arrest at a Star Wars convention so far. :)

12. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Wook! Yes, the SW in 30 minutes was HILARIOUS! Admiral Ackbar/Jabba made me nearly split my gut. I thought it was funny when he was "dressed" in his Jabba costume, but when he had to go and lick Leia on her cheek! OHMIGOD! You couldn't hear anything for a while after that the laughing was so loud!

13. DarthJen91

DarthJen91 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    C3 was awesome. Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you all but it was crazy. The highlight for me was getting to see Ray Park's interview. Very cool stuff! Getting his autograph was also awesome. :) Just wish I could have been there all 4 days. Lines were crazy - it was like a very bad day at Disneyland!

I made my friend who went with me get outta bed at 4 am on Saturday so I could try to get in line for Lucas. Got there about 5 and the guys from the 501st were telling us that the line was huge - people had been lining up since 9pm the previous night. Gave up on that idea and decided to wait out the freezing rain to try to get into the store and then later found out the line was elsewhere. :( Actually worked out in the end though as they pulled us from line to fill the room for George. I never did get into the store. [face_frustrated] That was probably the most disappointing thing for me. Other than that I had a great time.

Didn't get to see the 30 Min Star Wars but definitely enjoyed the One Man show and the Musical Edition.
    I agree Wook the EP 3 footage was great! I got goosebumps. I can't wait for May 19th!

All in all it was awesome. I'd wait out in the freezing rain for the chance to do it all again! :D

14. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Here's a random assortment of C3 pictures:

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mitchellnm/Celebration3/P1010702.jpg]
    Barriss (my friend Terry) & Dexter.

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mitchellnm/Celebration3/P1010687.jpg]

a cool design on one of the Star Wars Cars?

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mitchellnm/Celebration3/P1010700.jpg]
    Carded Luke costume

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mitchellnm/Celebration3/P1010688.jpg]
    Darkside car

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mitchellnm/Celebration3/P1010698.jpg]
    Lego Star Destroyer..huge!

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mitchellnm/Celebration3/P1010692.jpg]
    Da Man

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mitchellnm/Celebration3/P1010693.jpg]
    Ep3 costumes

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mitchellnm/Celebration3/P1010674.jpg]
    Star Wars Diorama

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mitchellnm/Celebration3/P1010681.jpg]
    Sith Sister Car

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mitchellnm/Celebration3/P1010678.jpg]
    Millenium Falcon..pimp style

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/mitchellnm/Celebration3/P1010694.jpg]
    Wookiee skins

15. obi_dave_kenobi

obi_dave_kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    It rocked!!!! had a lot of fun, got to talk to Dave Prowse, Kit Fisto, Saase tin, Mos ameda, Ray Park, and others at the party. Also took my picture with george lucas (kind of) How hot is that? Met some of the people from the C2 MTV special and saw some of the Star Wars guys from the NY premiere that came out on conan.

16. jedibb123

jedibb123 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2003
    Well, we made it back. Had a great time (besides standing in line for 6 hours at the store). It was great to see so many fans and all the great costumes. We also saw SW in 30 minutes and it was great. The Episode III footage was SPECTACULAR!!! I took many, many pictures. I'll take them to the next meeting/BBQ.

17. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    Ok, first real time I had online. It's fun piggy backing on someone else's unsecured wireless internet connection! :D

DAY 3 REPORT:

Well, costume day for me and the boys. After dropping off Julie's cousin at the airport, we made our way to the con. The day was cold. FREAKIN' COLD. And windy. Oh, did I mention, COLD? Luckily, in the flightsuit and armor, it was nice and toasty. But before we even got inside, one of the parking garage attendants asked me to wait to take a pic. And then two other groups of people had me wait so they could snap a pic of me. And FINALLY we got inside. First stop - weapons check. All realistic weapons had to be checked, although not everybody did. It was rather cool that I did, though. On the little walk to the east end of the center, I got stopped no less than three times to take pics with some kids. It's pretty neat having the kiddies recognize the Scout Trooper. I guess we have Battlefront that helps with that!

After the weapons check, we went to the Kid's room. Talk about chaos. There were about a dozen kids up on the small stage raining blows on each other with lightsabers. Naturally, Jonathan and Matthew wanted in on that mayhem, so we let them for a bit. And more kids and their parents asked to take pics with me. It was awesome. But since we weren't in there during any scheduled activity we left. And this was after hearing that Dave and Roman stood all night in the rain to make sure they got into one of the Lucas presentations.

After the kids room, we wanted to either check out the Fan Fair Hall for some various things, the One Man Star Wars show, and the Costume Pageant. We managed to also watch the Star Wars Musical, which was a lot funnier than I was afraid it wouldn't be. The pageant was amazing. Most pics I took came out blurry - didn't manually adjust the camera, which I should've. Argh. But the highlights were probably the Grievous costume, the two different Tauntaus, the AotC Threepio, and C3-PX. That was awesome. Oh, and of course, the carded Luke that Dave already posted a pic of. That costume was the shiznit. We also managed to catch the LAST showing of the Episode III Spectacular with Rick. He managed to stay two whole days and do Q&A's for all the sessions. What a guy! It was awesome. The footage didn't really show anything in context - no dialogue either, just filler music. But it was wicked sweet to see, nonetheless. So much for my attempt at being spoiler free.

Well, after being cooped up all day in armor, we were planning on going to go get something to eat. Well on the way there, someone grabbed me and asked if I wanted to be part of John Knoll's Honorary Induction into the 501st, so we ran upstairs to the Saga Ballroom and stood outside waiting for Dean Plantamura (501st.com webmaster) to ask his "question" of John Knoll. The first thing that happened was the Imperial March blared and down the carpet strolled Lord Vader, flanked by two stormies. The Scouts led in the rest of the troops and we stood in front of the stage while Dean gave a small speech, and presented John Knoll with the plaque. It was pretty awesome marching in with other 501sters from all over the country to stand in front of a huge crowd with flashes snapping away at all of us at the presentation. Definitely a highlight of that day.

That night was the Celebration at Celebration III Party. My god. There had to have been way too many people in that room. It was crowded, there were lines for everything (t-shirts, games, snacks, bars, etc). So we walked around a bit, took some pics, chatted with different people, got the obligatory picture with Kenny (Elvis Trooper), and watched Jonathan get the snot knocked out of him on the inflatable joust thing. He wanted to and had fun. But there was too many people, I had already spent 11 hrs in costume - the longest for me - and it was time to crash. Especially since the Legion photo was in the morning...

18. LetoQuorme

LetoQuorme Mos Alba FF Chapter Rep star 4

Nov 11, 2001
    -"If we are lucky there will be one man checking for guns."
    -"And if we're unlucky?"
    -"There will be many men."

Weapons check. I love it. ;) :p

19. BrotherHalo

May 12, 2003
    DAY 4 REPORT:

Ahhh, Indianapolis, how we loved you!

Nobody will predict what I have to say about the Legion photo.

I WAS LATE!

Of course, you say in unison. Thankfully, not THE latest person (or even scout) there, but still, my record for lateness has not yet been broken!

Anyway, the pic was decided to be inside (CRAP!) because it was cold and windy Sunday morning. It had snowed the night before - YES, SNOWED - and to prevent any people from getting cold, getting sick, cars wrecking, etc, they decided to move the photo inside the Fan Fair Hall. So we all marched inside. And like the Energizer Bunny, the line for troopers kept going and going and going and going ...

Once all inside, they had all the ranks assemble - Emperor, Sith Lords, Imperial Guards, Officers, DSTs, TKs, TDs, CTs, TBs, TIs, AT-AT Pilots, denizens, and customs. It took forever getting everyone in line, but as the pic posted by Jess shows, it was awesome. At the last picture, which I haven't found a copy of yet, we stood there for about a minute, buckets raised chanting "501!" while the doors were opened to the Fan Club members. After the pic was done, I ran over to meet up with some fellow Mountain Garrison folk. We only had a half-dozen around so no garrison pic. BOO!!!! Oh well...

After that, I went back to the hotel and packed up the gear. We had to check out so we packed the van and headed back down to the center. More leisurely day - we managed to get into the Archive room before they closed it. I wished they had more, but what they had was awesome. The saber display, the Wookiee costumes, the weapons from Episode III, and the Falcon miniatures were incredible. We also managed to catch the Star Wars in 30 Minutes show. That was hilarious! And some parts were just plain wrong. Jabba. Overweight guy. Laying down. Topless. Licking Leia on the cheek. Shudder. But he does a damn good Ackbar impression! [face_laugh]

After that, we hung out in the Fan Fair Hall for a while where I got to meet up with some fellow FF compadres - Darth Jurist, Jedi Master Rafa, Hama, Bobafett25, NabootyCall & Dajuan again, and a couple of others. We stood around and chatted for a while. Thanks to Heather for taking pics of me and the fam in front of the X-Wing.

After watching some kids do some junior Jedi Training, we decided to hit the Exhibit/Dealer's hall one last time. We got in and walked a bit. Saw plenty of goodies still, took some pics of some of the goodies, and we also ran into Warwick Davis (who was in the middle of purchasing a Star Wars Monopoly set from the Borders booth). Jonathan got to shake his hand and Mr. Davis asked him if he had been having a good time. He then signed the back of Jonathan's badge! Jonathan got really excited at that. But then, *sniff* it was time to say goodbye. We strolled out of the dealer's hall. Gen Con had already started stripping things down - bad form in my opinion. So we made our way back to the exits, as was everyone else. It was a bittersweet moment. We were all glad to not have to stand in any more god forsaken lines. But this could easily last a couple more days and you STILL couldn't see everything that went on.

It was a great experience though. Talking to other fans in line in the rain. Talking to other fans inside, in line NOT in the rain. Having people take pictures with you. Taking pictures with other people. People asking to take pictures of the boys in their costumes. Looking at all the cool stuff. And wishing you had more money to buy buttloads of stuff in the store, dealer's room, and everywhere else.

*sigh* It was fun. And I hope they do it again.

20. obi_dave_kenobi

Sep 10, 2004
    Speak for yourself Bob, I loved being out in the rain on friday from 8AM-11am and Saturday Morning from 2:30AM-5:30AM

21. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
  22. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Check out this one too...

http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/ffsweden/Celebration%203%20OA%20camera/?action=view&current=076JarienVeritasUk.jpg

23. obi_dave_kenobi

Sep 10, 2004
    can't open the link. interested in seeing what I was doing.

24. Gecko_Fett

Mar 1, 2003
    Copy the URL and paste it...then connect the last letter with the rest

25. obi_dave_kenobi

Sep 10, 2004
    Hey it's the people from Britain that I met, yeah, I was drunk, right on!
    The swedish girls must have snapped it when we weren't looking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.