main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST C-3PO and R2-D2 in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RepublicKnight95, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  2. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    The 3PO Band? ...the guy in the background looks like a drummer.

I cannot wait to see Goldenrod open his mouth and say something in that threepioish way about the odds or some other worthless but amusing fact.

3. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    I think maybe what has happened to threepio is that over time he's sorta turned into a semi-parody of himself. I dont' know if Anthony Daniels had anything to do with it, or the writers or what. But he's become a character that started out with a lot to say to now just being a "oh my!" and "oh dear!" over and over again. Which maybe has an effect on AD's speech patterns when playing him (he's sorta in the semi-permanent high pitch excitable state that 3PO is sorta "known" for)

It's a phenomenon that occurs with a lot of characters, I think. Even yoda. Look at his speech in the clone wars. It's ridiculously backwards 100% of the time. Wherein ESB, it had more nuance to it and sorta fell in and out. For example, he says, "No, there is another". He didn't say, "Another, there is."

I think even Doc Brown from Back to the Future suffers from this sometimes. I see how Chris Lloyd plays him in recent years (when he's on commercials or whatever) and he's sorta a parody version where he's super eccentric "great scott!" 100% of the time.

I think what happens is that the original characters inform the parody versions, which in turn, inform later versions of the character.

It's actually kind of an interesting phenomenon when you see how characters evolve, especially long lived characters.

Rickern, DBPirate, miasma and 2 others like this.
  4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  5. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Rookhelm
    Ugh... I really can't stand how Yoda talks in TCW. As you said, they overdo the "backwardness", and everything is so stilted and monotone all the time. When they brought in Frank Oz to do the voice for Rebels, it made a HUGE difference.

And yeah, I agree with you about C3PO. AD did say that the screenplay for C3PO in TFA is great, so let's see... maybe Kasdan remembered that the character can do more than just fret and say, "Oh dear!"
    I hope AD gets the voice right, though. When he appeared on Rebels last season, the voice was so high-pitched, it almost sounded like it was recorded at the wrong speed. (I understand, of course, that people's voices change over the years, but it was strikingly off in Rebels.)

EDIT: I just noticed that C3PO's "voice" issue was already being discussed on the previous page of this thread. It first sounded really noticably different to me in AOTC.

Rookhelm likes this.
  6. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I don't think it's necessarily Tom Kane's fault that nearly all of Yoda's lines in TCW were backwards. That fell more on the writers. 3PO on the other hand, I found was portrayed very well in TCW. His almost complete lack of screen time in the PT was disappointing to me.

Whenever I think of GL's quote that the story of Star Wars is told through 3PO and R2's eyes, I can't help but think that only the OT fulfills this. (or now that I think about it, the OT could be told from both droids' eyes while the PT would just be R2).

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2003
    Since C3P0 has a red arm, do you think we'll see a TC-4 droid walking around with a gold arm at some point? Maybe he married a TC-4 droid, and they exchanged their hand (and arm) in marriage....

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  9. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Agreed 100%. Especially on the absolute butchering of Yoda's speech pattern in the PT. If I didn't know better, I would have thought it was a parody. Does the impossible in making me dislike Yoda, and compelling me to mute the film anytime he's on screen.

10. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Yeah, the PT managed to turn 3PO into an obnoxious unnecessary sidekick. He's there for nostalgia but is not a real character.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    that's what he was in the ot!

Rabs and City Councilman Binks like this.
  12. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Sounds like Flanderization to me:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JabbatheHumanBeing and Vehgah like this.
  13. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014
    Yes! That's exactly what I'm describing. Funny that it's got an actual term

14. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Regarding AD's higher-pitched voice in recent years, it'd be cool if he played it an octave or two lower in TFA as part of his aging, the way a cassette tape can sound distorted and lower when it gets old.

Also, I'm kinda hoping they incorporate more of the "punching bag" character 3PO is in ESB, when he's at his funniest. Imagine how fed up Leia must be with him after all these years. Maybe she just ignores him entirely at this point.

15. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Sounds like nostalgia goggles. C3PO was just as "whiny" and "useless" in the OT as he was in the PT. The only difference is he didn't help advance the plot in any way. He was just "there."

Rabs and thejeditraitor like this.
  16. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    3PO's red arm contains Sith Lord Leia's red lightsabre :p

Force22 and themuzikman like this.
  17. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014

I've thought of this, too, but I'm not so sure. Yes, he definitely had his whiny moments in the OT, no one can dispute that. But perhaps what you say about he didn't have anything to do in the PT made his whininess more apparent there. And I think there's definitely "Flanderization" going on where his unique quirks have become exaggerated over time.

For example, in ANH....sure, he's bickering and being crabby with R2, but they're discussing where to go, whether they should go this way or that...then in the next scene he's talking to luke about the ship he served on, etc. Then of course the whole scene where he's re-enacting Star Wars to the Ewoks.

In the PT, it just didn't feel like he had much to say. When he did, it was sorta a distilled version where he's saying "oh dear!" a lot and so on. I'll be watching the prequels again in a couple weeks, so I'll keep an eye out on how 3PO is depicted and see where the major differences are.

18. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    In ROTJ maybe, but not in the first two.

19. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    He doesn't even act like that that much in the PT. The only time he really does is AOTC in the droid factory/Geonosis arena, but for good reason. He's getting thrown around and having his head removed and placed on a battle droid. In TPM and ROTS, he doesn't say much, in ROTS he talks to R2 after the battle of Coruscant saying he could do with a tuneup himself, and asks Padme if she needs anything after Anakin leaves for Mustafar, and then at the end a quick "Oh no.." when he's gonna get his memory wiped. He was much more eccentric in the OT, especially ESB and ROTJ.

And on the case of Yoda, his backwards speak was almost there 100% in ROTJ. George took it up a little bit more since that was a characteristic of Yoda that a lot of people noticed, that he talks in an odd way, and it became a staple for him, so of course he'd up it in future films/shows. This is the first time I've ever seen fans complain about Yoda's speech.

20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to see Han yelling at C-3PO at least once.

22. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Jeeze, they really could have made this look a little different from Yavin, huh? It looks so much like it.

23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    proves my point exactly.

There were some people who couldn’t stand 3PO in the beginning, there were some people who loved him, and they’ve grown up and go, “Oh yeah, I remember him,” and all that kind of thing.

Rabs likes this.
  25. KyloAwakens

KyloAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2015
    Please! Some of my favorite lines are Han and Threeps back and forth.

Also this just occurred to me:

With Kylo being a Vader fan, does he know that 3PO is his creation?

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.