main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada official insults Bush

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Southernjedi, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Here's attempt No. 2 on this topic. If it doesn't work out, feel free to lock it, anyone. :)

Francroise, Ducros, the chief spokeswoman for Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien, called President Bush a "moron" because she claimed he was using the NATO summit to gain support for war with Iraq.

She made the comment to a reporter, in what she said was a private meeting. But at least one other reporter overheard her, and it got reported, of course.

Her comment touched off a furor, of course, and she offered to resign, after sideslipping and saying she didn't remember saying any such thing. Chretin refused her resignation.

As an American, I'm offended. Of course someone has the right to criticize our government, but her remarks weren't very professional, nor very bright. If she intended it to remain private, she should have made sure no one else--especially a reporter--was in hearing range. You don't dis the leader of another country in public or around a reporter, not when you're an official of another country.

Bush would have fired any of his staffers on the spot who did such a thing. It's just part of his character. Of course, the U.S. will brush this off, as we brush off other such instances.

Canada does $2 billion in business every day with the U.S. Seems like that would be powerful incentive for Chretin to make amends.

2. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    What do you expect from a country that lets anyone claim "refugee" status if they wish and enter?

3. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Nothing good will come from this thread.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    This is a prime example of the off-kilter present government in French-Quebec. They need to just secede and get it over with.

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Well, if Bush wasn't a moron I could understand your concern..........however..............

6. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    Was it rude? Definitely. You only get to call elected officials stupid in public if you?re in the media, preferably a newspaper editor. Was it something that a lot of people around the world feel to be true? Definitely. But that doesn?t mean that it is true. Was it highly inappropriate for a senior government official to say? Definitely. I won?t try to justify any kind of appropriateness.

However, is it really a big deal? I don?t think so. What?s Bush going to do? Invade Canada over a lone stray remark? Why not invade liberal newspapers offices all around America itself while he?s at it, and stamp out those nefarious individuals who think he?s an idiot. No, while this incident is something that we Canadians should feel ashamed of if we are to have any justification behind the claim that we?re a polite people, it?s not a major international incident. It?s scandalous to a degree, embarrassing, but not dangerous.

7. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
  8. POLUNIS

POLUNIS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, if Bush wasn't a moron I could understand your concern..........however..............

Why don't you prove he is an idiot? Oh...I see. You don't have any evidence.

9. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, as far as I'm concerned she's right, and she said what most Canadian officials think privately. Still, it doesn't make her comment appropriate. Relations between Canada and the USA are already shaky.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999

Why don't you prove he is an idiot? Oh...I see. You don't have any evidence.

That statement can't be directly proven, but if you look at American presidents of 100 years ago or so, you'll see that they wrote their own speeches and ran their own governments rather than being a mouthpiece for the advisors. They also didn't randomly accuse neighboring countries of being responsible for everything from terrorism on U.S. soil to increasing American unemployment.

Anyway, I agree that it wasn't a very politick remark to make, even in what seemed to be confidence, although it's probably a common opinion among Canadian politicians.

11. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    You don't have any evidence.

oh, where do I start ? :D where's that photo of him looking through binoculars with the lense cap on ? LOL

but, I don't think thats what this thread needs.

malkie

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I hate to nitpick, but few presidents in the last 50-60 years (possibly longer) have single-handedly authored their speeches without any revisions and re-writes by professional speechwriters.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    ... that's why I said 100, Kyle. :D But Bush is an especially salient example.

14. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Dang. I was about to start this thread. :p

15. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    "where's that photo of him looking through binoculars with the lense cap on ? LOL"

You'd be amazed at what one can do with Photoshop.

link

16. POLUNIS

Apr 3, 2002
    That statement can't be directly proven, but if you look at American presidents of 100 years ago or so, you'll see that they wrote their own speeches and ran their own governments rather than being a mouthpiece for the advisors. They also didn't randomly accuse neighboring countries of being responsible for everything from terrorism on U.S. soil to increasing American unemployment.

[sarcasm]Wow...you have done a great job in proving your assertion.[/sarcasm] Randomly? Hardly...why is Hezbollah, a terrorist organization, allowed into Canada?

Increasing unemployment can be attributed somewhat to the rampant illegal immigration; Mexican illegals working for bottom dollar certainly can take positions from naturalized citizens, especially in tough economic times.

Mouthpiece for his advisors? PPOR!

Your post was high on the rhetoric and short on the facts. Have you ever discovered his test scores and academic performance or are you just making a dogmatic assertion based on your own dislike of him?

17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Polonus, I suspect DLM can provide ample reasoning for her views.

Might want to change your approach here ;).

18. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Uh, the point of the Lens Cap thing, is that George W Bush's lens caps....are OFF!!! You can see them hanging from the bottom of the binoculars. It is Bill Clinton that viewed the DMZ with the Lens cap's on.

19. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    ok ok, wheres that WAV of him trying to get a simple expression out and making a complete mess of it ?

HMMMMMMM ?

it was on the JC a few months back when he did it.

fool me once, shame on you
    fool me twice, shame on me

its not hard george

malkie

20. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Red-Seven: I did a quick glance through that thread and must have missed it. My apologies. Lock this thread if you feel it redundent.

Never mind that the comment was rude. Never mind she should have expected it to get out to the public. She said that at a meeting of NATO allies. U.S.-Canada relations already have been strained, and this doesn't help.

Like Jon_Snow said, it's nothing big in the long run. I've vented all my frustration by now (I think this was a way for me to vent frustration over several unrelated issues, especially work). I just find it more funny now than anything, in how liberals can't find anything legitimate to complain about on Bush and have to resort to simple personal attacks.

21. POLUNIS

Apr 3, 2002
    oh, where do I start ? grin.gif where's that photo of him looking through binoculars with the lense cap on ? LOL

but, I don't think thats what this thread needs.

malkie

Another brilliant Candian riposte... [face_plain]

You are absolutely right; this thread does not need any ridiculous Bush-bashing.

22. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Proof Bush is a moron, the above mentioned sound byte of Bush making a terrible attempt at a simple expression.

Here it is

BUSHLEXIA

I'm just defending the honourable canadians perhaps accurate comment.

This is a debating forum - I'm standing with the canadian on this on.

Prove me wrong.

malkie

23. POLUNIS

Apr 3, 2002
    Polonus, I suspect DLM can provide ample reasoning for her views.

Might want to change your approach here wink.gif .

I highly doubt it, Knightwriter. If that first post from DLM was any indication, I would say this debate will be "all too easy".

Yoda has this to say: "Do not underestimate the powers of POLUNIS or suffer countless others' fates you will."

I am offended and rightly so with people insulting my President in such a fashion. I voted for him in 2000 and, if given the choice, I would vote for him again. Does this make me the Jar Jar to Chancellor Palpatine?

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    So certain are you...

Just take my word for it ;).

Aside from that, everyone please keep it civil here. Thanks.

25. POLUNIS

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm just defending the honourable canadians perhaps accurate comment.

This is a debating forum - I'm standing with the canadian on this on.

Prove me wrong.

malkie

This is indeed a debating forum and you are losing. The honourable canadian?

Even if all the quotes were genuine (and that is a big if), what does that prove? Does it prove he is a moron? NO, it does not. [sarcasm]I am sure you have never misspoken before in your life.[/sarcasm]

BTW, assuming for argument's sake that he does have a learning disorder (as that second website of yours appears to assert), does not make him a moron. There are highly-intelligent people who have learning disorders. I am suspected of having a non-verbal learning disability (diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, to be exact), but I have an IQ of 135. Does that make me a moron?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.