main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CANTINA - New England's Only STAR WARS Exclusive Shop

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by RikSMaximus, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RikSMaximus

RikSMaximus Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2002
    Please allow me to introduce myself...My name is Rik Grenier, and in May of 2002 I opened CANTINA, New England's Only STAR WARS exclusive shop. It's only about 1000 sq ft or so, but it's jack loaded with action figures, comics, trade paperbacks, books (novels HC/PB, reference, role-playing, screenplays, production), t-shirts, statues, posters, trading cards, etc.

WE DON'T HAVE EVERYTHING (some folks are overwhelmed by the shear visual upon walking in, and they say..."Whoa...you got everything...!") WE DON'T!! What we do have is a little bit of everything. Not packing too much in the way of vintage stuff either, but there is a consignment system, and from time to time vintage stuff does come in and out (take advantage of this if you want to sell something!)

There is also a 36" Sony Trinitron Vega SBR (complete w/surround system) that is usually rolling Episode I,II, IV,V, or VI...or a SW game on the PS2, in a comfortable 4 seat theater like area. My Mom or Dad watch the shop for me once in awhile, and that's the one time where there might be news on the tube!

We also have Episode I Pinball (5 balls for $0.50 - I like to see folks get their moneys worth), with a contest that if someone can beat my high score, they can take home a limited edition RAY PARK/DARTH MAUL autographed plaque (#111/500).

And the most excellent part of the shop: It used to be a store called THE BIKE DOCTOR, but it was more like THE BIKE FUNERAL PARLOR...it was awful when I bought it...but $35,000 in renovations later...well, let's just say that it was designed to look like a set from one of the 5 films (any of you who've been there keep it a secret, will ya!)

I guess that's it in a nutshell...just wanted to let you all know what's going on up here! It looks like I'll be hosting the local New Hampshire chapter of FanForce starting 12/7/02 - 7:00 PM (tentative), and I would like to extend an invitation to all who would like to come...no web sight at this time, but it's on the immediate horizon. Please call or email for "can't fail" directions...May The Force Be With You

Rik Grenier, owner

CANTINA
    225 Laurel St.
    Manchester, NH 03103
    603-626-JEDI
    CANTINACOMICS@aol.com

2. sith_lord21

sith_lord21 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    thats a bit too far for us to go to!!! but we will check it out

3. RikSMaximus

Nov 15, 2002
    Oh yeah! By the way...I work a full time job as a bio-technician, so the shop isn't open 7 days a week...our hours are:

Mon-Tues-Wed Closed

Thur 12pm to 8pm
    Fri 12pm to 8pm
    Sat 12pm to 8pm
    Sun 12pm to 6pm

4. Jedi_Knight150

Jedi_Knight150 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    Arthur, this is just my opinion, but it's usually not a good sign when a person refers to themself as "we".

5. sith_lord21

sith_lord21 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    sometimes what i refer "we" doesnt mean its gonna be the whole entire boston rebels. it could mean me and someone else!!!!!

6. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    We were told about your shop. It sounds like heaven :D . We're thinking of stopping up there in the future. Thanks for stopping by!

7. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Hey Rik,Thanks for the invite up to your store.The place sounds great.We were talking about it at the con this weekend.A group trip up there would be awesome.Get the 2 groups together for a day.Should be a fun time.

8. RikSMaximus

Nov 15, 2002
    That's cool that there was at least some buzz about the shop at the con...I really wanted to be there flyering but I had to work this weekend. One of the security guards here is a huge Trekkie, and he also has some ties to the organization down there...he said he had permission to leave a some of my flyers in a few key locations...I'm curious, is that how you heard about CANTINA this weekend? Also, I'm contemplating maybe doing a small time TV commercial....maybe like a 15 second spot that I could air locally on the Sci-Fi Channel, so I'll be looking for people to give the impression that there are actually customers milling around....! Talk to ya later.....Rik

9. RikSMaximus

Nov 15, 2002
    Hey TK7771, are you a part of the 501st Garrison, cuz I just had a brainstorm....instead of having regular folks milling about the shop in the commercial acting all like customers, how cool would it be to have a couple stormtroopers, officers, snowtroopers, etc. instead? Sometimes I amaze even myself...get back to me, alright? Rik

10. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    We found out about your store from Kriana and your posts in the NH forum.There was a flyer on our table about your shop,I think Carrie had it.I didnt see any others floating around.There couldve been some on the flyer table but I didnt see any.

Unfortunately,no I'm not in the 501st(not yet anyway ;) ).But if you do want to try and get em in your commercial,let me know.I can probably get you the info of who to talk to.Their a great group of guys and gals,wouldn't doubt they'd love to help you out.

11. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    It's a good idea but would the 501st even do a commercial for a business? They have a pretty decent relationship With Lucasfilm. Doing a TV spot may not make Uncle George very happy.

12. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
  13. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    need a jedi?? :D

oh btw i was on public access tv in my jedi robes from the providence IMAX footage :)

14. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    On channel 36?

15. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    oops sorry nope channel 13 here in RI. those sci fi journal people taped me

16. BH-1171

BH-1171 Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2002
    BH-1171 - Bob-A-Fett here... 501st at your service. 501st in a commercial for a store? Doubtful. We shouldn't be advertising for someone like that...like it was previously stated, we have a very good relationship with Uncle George and Lucasfilm and selling toys and comic books for someone on TV would most likely not be a good idea. Maybe we could come and hang out up there but anything more then that would be doubtful.

Of course, if you wanted to set something up where we took pictures with people for charity then that might be a different story. We made $430 for the Jimmy Fund at the Con this past Saturday. Not too shabby. Add that to the over $800 we made for charity 2 weeks before and we're doing alright!

Those fliers got on our table somehow as well...hmmmm....

17. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    Oops! My bad [face_blush]

I didnt even think about the whole Uncle George thing.Damn copyright laws and such :mad:

Anyway,If I was you I'd seriously consider the charity photo thing.That seems to be a big hit with people.Everyone loves getting thier pic taken with a Stormie :D.Wouldnt be bad for business either ;)

18. RikSMaximus

Nov 15, 2002
    Well, I completely understand the relationship with Lucasfilm and all. No big deal, it was just a thought...I mean, we weren't talking about some guy screaming in the camera "Hey!! This is CRAZY EDDIE the Stormtrooper, and do we have some comics for you!! But don't touch my helmet...DO NOT TOUCH MY HELMET!! CRAZY EDDIE here..."

I was talking about 2 seconds of mock shopping in a 15 second commercial. I don't know, what if CANTINA made some kinda donation to a charity or something...maybe that would work...The photo thing is a pretty good idea too...you guys are doing nice work there.

And I hope no one at the 501st gets offended, because I'm really a pretty good guy, but in truth it really bummed me out when BH-1171 referred to me as "someone like that". I'm just gonna be honest here BH-1171...I'm not Toys 'R Us, KayBee, or Wal-mart. You know what I am? I'm a loyal Star Wars Fan who opened up one of the coolest most unique shops I've ever seen, and I'm choking because no one knows where I am.

The heat, the lights, product purchases, phone...that's all coming out of my pocket right now, and most people would've packed it in...chaulked it up as a bad decision. But I have faith in the STAR WARS universe and my fellow fans. When I made the decision to open this shop, I didn't see myself as rolling in cash...I thought, "Wow this would be a really cool thing for all the Fans in New England."

When I hear you refer to me as "someone like that", that was about the same as me saying, "BH-1171...you're just a guy in a costume" I PUT MY ENTIRE LIFE ON THE LINE FOR THIS SHOP, AND FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS. Anyways, no bad vibes bro, it's cool. Maybe you didn't mean anything by it...
    My apologies if I'm mistaken....Rik

19. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    hey Ric,

Do you happen to have a website for the shop?Thats always a good way to advertise.Lots of people search the web to find stores like yours.

20. RikSMaximus

Nov 15, 2002
    Right now, I got nothing....Just don't have the money to have it put together. I do have a friend that's gonna do something for me (he used to be the web master for Saturn - the car not the planet!), but it's probably not going to be big time retail for starters. In the beginning it'll probably be a basic informational site; general contact info...directions...maybe a few photos of the interior of the shop, etc. Truth of the matter is, after the renovations, I don't have alot of cash to deal with so I guess at this point it's a matter of when my friend and I have enough time to collaborate.

21. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    I gotta ask.

Do we get discounts?

22. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    Probably not, cuz his life savings are on the line. Let's support him now, in his time of need, and then in the future, it's good to have the rapport built up through loyal service.

23. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Even with a donation to charity, I think Uncle George would frown on his copyrighted Stormies shopping anywhere he didn't ask them to be. Sorry.
    And even if you get on geocities or some such and design your own bare-bones functional website, it's better than nothing! :)

24. RikSMaximus

Nov 15, 2002
    Hey Theed & Darth, I was considering doing something, like a 10% discount for the folks who are starting a New Hampshire FanForce in the area, so I don't see why it can't be extended to some other folks as well. The problem is, being a little shop is tough as far as discounts from distributors go...Example: my price for AOTC action figures directly from HASBRO was $5.25 - THAT'S WHAT I BOUGHT THEM FOR (you have to commit to an order like 2 months before it is on the street). Wal-mart was SELLING them for $4.77! How do you compete with that? So as it is, some stuff is selling pretty much a tiny bit more than I paid for them. I don't want to sound like a whiner, I just wanted to let everyone out there know that I do have alot on the line here for the good of the STAR WARS community in New England, and that I'm not this profit hungry "somebody like that". So thanks for your support guys, and I hope to meet ya someday in person at the CANTINA....Rik

P.S: I'll try to get it together maybe on a home page to put up a few photos of the shop soon...Thanks again

25. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    If you want a domain name and free hosting, I can hook you up. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.