main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Castle] Storming the Castle-drabbles, ficlets, and other stuff.(Non UDC) Updated 9/9/11!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Author note: I started this thread because on another site, I strayed from the UDC them words and the 100 word limit. I have 4-5 chapters completed and may well continue this thread for the time being and let 'Detective Friction' chill for a while. I hope you enjoy what you find here.

Castle Drabbles for Christmas

Introduction

It was the flurries which drew him outside; the wind tossed pixies of frozen moisture which zigged and zagged foreshadowing full blown snow. Rick Castle stood on the exterior balcony of his loft looking to the sky as heavier flakes began overwhelming their predecessors.

The child in him charged the surface inspiring him, almost involuntarily, to open his mouth and stick out his tongue. To hear Beckett tell it, the child didn't have far to go to get to the surface; in fact she maintained that the child lived at the surface and the mature man was the one who had to the long journey to make himself known.

Love-

Castle and Beckett lean against a counter in a downtown coffee shop sipping gingerly from their cups. They are watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade. They huddle close as the spot they share is right next to the door. Every time the door opens, they are assaulted by a chilling burst of arctic wind. Castle shifts his stance, positioning his broad back to the door. It would not do to have his wife any colder than she is at the moment.

She leans into him and places a small kiss on his lips. "How chivalrous."

He smiled mischievously. "My way of taking one for the team."

"I love you, Richard Castle," she said, touching he forehead to his.

"Saying 'I love you, too' just doesn't seem sufficient," he replied. "I could write a book?"

Light-

When Castle and Beckett returned home to the loft, they were met with a strange sight; festive, but strange. Both Martha and Alexis were dressed in Santa costumes specifically designed for the Rockettes. Castle had seen his daughter in a miniskirt before, but there was something oddly salacious about the outfit.

"What is this?" he asked, truly surprised.

"Seriously, Dad?" Alexis admonished. "Don't tell me you forgot?"

"Of course he didn't," Kate interjected elbowing Rick to jog his faulty memory.

"Of course not!" he proclaimed, uncertainly. "What am I supposed to do?"

Alexis rolled her eyes. "Nothing , Dad. Just come to the performance. Gram convinced me to help her with a Christmas Charity event."

"I'm all in," he replied with a smile. "Not sure how I feel about that outfit though. It's a little low in the front and high in the back. Is Ashley gonna be there?

Kate hit him with another elbow. "You look great, Sweety. When do we leave?"

Dark-

On the night before Christmas, Castle was awakened by the sound of movement on the first floor. His first thought was of Kate, who, coincidentally, was not lying next to him in bed. Furrowing his eyebrows in puzzled concern, he threw off the covers and hopped from his bed.

Just in case, he pulled an iron from his golf bag in the hall closet. When he reached the top of the stairs he surveyed the landscape below. There she was, his wife, kneeling before the Christmas tree feeling, shaking, and placing gifts up to her ears.

It was adorable.

But it could not be allowed to continue.

"Unhand that present, FIEND!" he boomed from behind her. He had silently descended the stairs and approached her without her noticing. So he thought.

The flannel clad woman shot a leg out behind her and whirled with uncanny speed to push her palms into his chest. He toppled involuntarily and landed with a dull thud on the couch.

She was on him in a flash; straddling his waist.

"You, Mister, of all people, should know better than to sneak up on me," she said short of breath.

"And miss this?" he replied, placing his hand on her hips. "It was my plan all along."

"We used to open a present on Christmas Eve," she said, raising her fingers to the top button of her pajama top.

"Who am I to break with tradition," he said, pulling her into a kiss.

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I love your Castle stuff, really, brodiew. :) I need to be better at commenting. [face_blush]

Introduction: I can just picture this! Castle really is a kid at heart. [face_love]

Love: Best. Last. Line. Ever. "I could write a book?" indeed! :D

Light: Castle as a parent is always hilarious. [face_laugh] I love pretty much every interaction he has with Alexis (she really is a great addition to the show, and a route I'm glad they took).

Dark: [face_laugh] Kinky. [face_mischief]

Past: Perfect Christmas, n'est-ce-pas? :D

I'm looking forward to more. :)

3. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Just a quick word to tell you I really liked those glimpses into things that have not yet come to pass. Seriously, Castle is just so much fun to watch (and read). Please keep on with the good stuff.

Oh, and I totally LOLed when I read the title, too. A reference to a certain detective our dear author killed in the first episode of the series, maybe?

Cheers,

Lauré :)

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    have fun storming the castle . . .

[face_love] [face_dancing]

It has been too long since we heard from you, Brodie!! [:D] Your Castle stuff is always a treat to read - but I think I have said that before. :p

Introduction: I think that I may have to agree with Beckett there. [face_laugh] Sod it all, though, and just stick your tongue out. Everyone has to give in to that urge every once in a while. [face_love]

Love: Awwww. "write a book" indeed. [face_love]

Light: [face_laugh] I love it when Castle goes into dad-mode. :p

Dark: [face_love] Something tells me Castle may have wanted to be tackled. [face_devil] Veeery nice. [face_mischief]

Past: Perfect. [face_love]

Please, feel free to PM me when you update these, brodie! [:D]

~MJ @};-

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Happy wriggles! Castle ficlets! And they're married! Bless you brodiew! [:D] !!

Yes!!!

If you're making a PM list, I'd love to be on it for when you update.

:)

6. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Idrelle_Miocovani: Thanks for reading, Idrelle. I'm thank that you posted a review. I think 'Dark' was was my favorite of the set. I had with the characters on that one. But 'Past' was nice too; peaceful. Thanks again. I'm glad you've enjoyed them. More to come. :) P.S. I like Alexis, too.:cool:

laurethiel1138: Hello Laure'. I'm so pleased you decided to stop in a leave a comment. Funny you should mention Derrick Storm. He actually wasn't on my mind for the title, but there is a coming reference in a couple of chapters I think you'll enjoy. I'm glad you are enjoying these. Castle is a mighty fun to watch and write.

Mira_Jade: well it's nice to be back, too. I miss this place. I'm gad you enjoyed the set. It was fun to write. 'Dad' mode is fun.:D Asis a little hanky panky. [face_devil]

Jade_eyes: Hi Jade!;) Yes, they are married and so much fun to write. I think Beckett can be more of a kid and Castle can be a little more mature. Happy to supply a few SQUEES! [:D]

Author note: This series is more of a grab bag than a continuation of the previous Christmas themed set, but never fear, Christmas will return!

Break Away

Richard Castle wasn't an athletic man, but he had been known to shoot a few hoops. When Esposito began baiting him for a one on one match up, he put the other detective off, not wanting to show him up in public. Esposito's taunting became so rife with arrogance that Castle decided to show his friend what was what.

It had rained the day they decided to play and this was the excuse Castle used when the other man stole the ball and ran the length of the court to lay in the first basket of the game. By the time Esposito had seven and Castle had one, the writer was faking and ankle sprain to get off the court.

"I was hoping for more of a challenge, Castle," Esposito said. "That was sad."

"I said I could shoot, Javi," Castle breathed. "Running is another thing altogether."

Heaven

Reciprocation. That was heaven for Rick Castle.

To cook for her and see blissful satisfaction spread on her face as she eats.

To touch her hand, as they walked, and feel her fingers curl around his.

To hug her and feel her head rest on his shoulder as her hands meet as his back.

To start a sentence and have it completed without skipping a beat. Sometimes.

To feel her lips and teeth pressed against his as they kiss passionately.

To feel the give and take of their rhythmic lovemaking; the heat and ecstasy of two people truly giving of themselves for the other.

Innocence

Castle wondered who Beckett might have been had not her mother been killed; had not her dreams been stolen and her heart haunted by the ghost of senseless murder.

Would she have been an astronaut? It wasn't hard to imagine Beckett in one of those orange space suits. He smiled at the idea of her floating in zero g. He can see her smiling as he spins.

Would she have been a teacher? On this once he was torn. He knows well what it is to be 'hot for teacher', but he could still see a sternness about her; an instructor who challenges her students and does not let them quit.

Would she have been a veterinarian? No. Though she does have a tender side, he didn't see her working with animals?

A lawyer or doctor, maybe? Possibly. Though Kate's dark side rose with her mother's murder, he still sees her as being a consummate professional. Her work ethic would not have suffered. Perhaps, a doctor. Lawyer seems a stretch.

Drive

It was a Sunday afternoon and there were no cases pending which demanded immediate, ongoing attention. Castle sat in his chair next to Beckett's desk and watched her.

She smiled at his attention, but soon grew suspicious as his lips spread in a mischievous grin.

"What?" she asked, truly interested in what might be catching fire in abstract brain.

"Let's go for a drive?" he declared with a smile. "Somewhere upstate."

Her eyebrows cinched in disapproval. "There's nothing but farmland up there C

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Heaven -- sweet musings and reciprocation is wonderful.

Rick's thoughts about what other paths Kate might have taken - very natural.

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004

Break Away: [face_laugh] I empathize completely with Castle. [face_laugh]

Heaven: Aww! For the love of Squee, brodie, you know you have me with that one. [face_love] [:D]

Innocense: This was a neat vein of thought to explore - and some fun career options, all of them. :)

Drive: I love the bantering mixed in with the softness of a relationship. That was lovely. [face_love]

Love: More Squee!!

Thank-you so much for these. :D =D=

[:D]

~MJ @};-

9. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    brodie you are getting this [:D] just because of how awesome these are.

I am a huge Castle fan, and you might have even gotten me started on them!

But for the love of...

Those were awesome!

Squee!!!

10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Jade_Eyes: I knew 'Heaven' would be in your wheelhouse, Jade. Mira's too. All those who love to SQUEE! I enjoyed writing that one too. Trying to think of potential career paths for Beckett was fun, but challenging. I kind of like the idea of her as an astronaut. :cool:

Mira_Jade: Thanks for always showing up, Mira. I love it that you do. Heaven was good. I really like that one. It's genuine; a quality I try to lace through all the banter and relational stuff. 'Drive' was just Castle being Castle. It never mattered where they went as long as they went together. :p

Master_Jaina1011: Welcome Master_Jaina1011. I'm thrilled to have a new reader; and one so enthralled with the material. Thank you for reading and taking the time time to write a review. I hope you will write some Castle. This board needs a fresh perspective.

Tree

It was the fourth year in which Rick had gone outside the city to get his Christmas tree, but the first in which Kate had come with him. Duncan's Tree Farm was a large and rather confusing maze of trees of all shapes, sizes, and varieties.

Kate would have preferred to grab a small tree from a corner lot not far from her apartment, but Rick wouldn't allow it. Using his arms in grandiose gestures, he extolled the virtues of the Grand Fir, its rich Christmas smell, and fun of cutting your own tree. She had to admit that the experience was fun, if only to watch Castle lying on the ground, huffing and puffing, as he cut the tree with a rusty hand saw.

Memory-

He didn't care if it was the longest running , most joked about production in the history of Broadway, Richard Castle liked CATS! It was mostly for the faster numbers, but the detail of the set design and the fantastic dancing always left him satisfied in the end.

Then there was Beckett. She ran with the 'in crowd' and took every opportunity to tease him when the topic arose. To his consternation, she would sing verses from his least favorite song of the show, 'Memories'.

"Memories all alone in the moonlight...like Castle at an outdoor production, she would jab. He took it stride knowing that his revenge would be sweet as soon as she revealed a similar guilty pleasure.

Insanity-

"They say that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

"Not 'them' again, Castle," Kate replied, wearily. "'They' get you into trouble."

"It's an age old proverb, Beckett," Castle replied congenially. "Does it bother you?"

"Only a few things bother me, Castle," She said raising a mischievous eyebrow. "And you are on that very short list."

"The word 'bother' has many meanings. Do I bother you in a good way?"

"I abstain."

"Abstaining to such a question is tantamount to an admission!"

"It does not," she grimaced. "No way, shape, or form."

"So are you hot and bothered?" he advanced.

"Castle," she said, suddenly serious. "Thin ice."

"How thin?"

"Cracked."

"I must really be insane," he declared.

Smile-

"Boys are jerks!" Alexis exclaimed as she plopped down on the couch next to her father. "Boy, Specifically."

"What's he done this time, Sweetheart," Castle said, turning to his daughter to give her his full attention. "And what makes this about 'boys' generally, rather than 'Ashley' specific?"

"Did I say anything about Ashley?" she retorted.

"No, but I knew it couldn't have anything to do with me? I'm an angel."

"Sure thing, Dad," she replied. "You're right, though. It's Ashley."

"What is it?" Castle asked with keen interest.

"He cheated!" she stated matter of fact, color rising in her face.

Caught off guard by the declaration of the worst possible sin in any relationship, Castle gaped in shock.

"He what?"

"I don't think I'll be playing Twister with him again any time soon," she said folding her arms over her chest and frowning.

Castle continued to gape, the fact that the cheating was only at a game relieving him only a little. The knowledge that his only daughter was playing Twister wi

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Memory ;) -- now that song's gonna be stuck in my head :D

Insanity [face_laugh] -- [face_laugh]

Cracked ice -- [face_mischief]

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I remember reading these at ff.n. :cool: And they were just as fun to read as they were now. [face_love]

Tree: That is THE perfect mental image. [face_laugh]

Memory: And that song is the only redeeming quality about CATS. :p

Insanity: Then that is the perfect definition for Castle. [face_laugh] He's just to precocious for his own good - it's impossible to stay annoyed with him when he is in such rare form. [face_laugh]

Smile: I was with Castle here - my heart was in my throat as my mind ran in a completely different direction. :p :( I'm glad it was merely Twister though - just a different reason for a dad to worry there. [face_laugh] :oops:

Silence: Wonderfully atmospheric! A great wrap. =D=

~MJ @};-

13. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Jade_Eyes: I'm glad you enjoyed these, Jade. It was a fun light set. This one is too.

Mira_Jade: I knew you knew these, Mira. I'm honored you reviewed them a second time. Yes, I threw a twist with Twister. I'm glad it landed well.

Author note: Now, for something completely different. This week, I decided to shake things up a bit by bending time, space, and genre. I use this same technique in a single drabble earlier in the thread, but this time I took to the next level. I hope you will enjoy this week's offering of war, westerns, vamprires, pride, and prejudice.

Questioning

Richard Castle stood underneath the narrow awning outside the Allied Command Center to avoid the rain. The invasion of France had been delayed, now, for two days. If they didn't go soon, their window of opportunity would be lost; as would the story for the Army newspaper, Stars and Stripes.

The door next to him opened so quickly, it smacked him in the arm. Kate Beckett, his contact on the inside, looked around not noticing that she had just hit him with the door.

"Right here," he said, throwing a wave around the door frame.

Beckett regarded him skeptically. "What are you doing back there?"

"Waiting for you," he answered amiably. "Seems my lot in life these days. What's new?"

"Not much I'm afraid," Beckett said, wearily. "There's a lot of hand wringing going on in there. Given the weather, no one is willing to make a final decision."

"How's Ike?" Castle asked, tipping up the brim of his cap.

Beckett smiled sympathetically. "Conflicted."

"Really? 'Conflicted' is all you have? I need more than that!"

"It's all I've got, Castle," she said frowning. "I'm not actually sitting in on the meeting. It's officers only."

"I know. I know. I can only imagine all the factors which have to be considered. But, I'm about as frustrated as the boys sitting on those ships."

"I have a feeling it will be soon," Beckett said, holding his eyes. "The Brass can't afford to wait."

"I trust that feeling, Kate," Castle replied. "But I can't print it."

"Then you'll have to do what you do best."

"Which is?" he replied, perking at a possible compliment.

"Wait."

Blood

Rick Castle truly resented that fact that he had been turned into a vampire. It sucked. And the pun was so totally intended. He had always enjoyed the nightlife, but it really put a crimp in his ability to work cases with Beckett and the boys.

He was lucky that first crime scene after his own 'death' was at night. He was raw in his new sensations? and his new urges. He was invigorated and all five senses sang with amplified intensity. These new feelings would definitely assist in his writing, but the detractions were much more pressing.

Beckett leaned over the body of dead woman; stabbed multiple times by a rather large knife which remained imbedded in the woman's ribcage. As she examined the wounds, her head turned spotlighting, from the street lamp above, the muscle and porcelain white skin of her neck.

Squatting to her level, he involuntarily licked his lips and leaned toward her.

"What is it?" he asked.

She looked at him and immediately pulled away, almost falling over backwards.

"Castle," she said, concern evident in her voice. "You look like death.

His gaze was still locked on her neck and his heart was thumping in time with hers.

When he finally looked up, Beckett was staring at him. "Yeah, I'm not feeling so hot. Probably shouldn't be here."

"Gone home, Castle," she said, slapping him on the shoulder. "Get some rest. We can handle this one. Let me now when you're feeling better."

"It may be while," he said sadly.

Under

His eyes traced what seemed the interminably long barrel of the rifle pointed at his chest. At the other end, he found angry eyes squinted to be sure of the accuracy of her shot.

It was a hot day in Stormfront; the kind of day where a man could be soaked with sweat by walking across the street. The fact that his former friend and partner was pointing a gun at him only

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oooh, the ones where they were like special agents/spies -- how cool!

The one where she was the sheriff :D ;) =D=

But the Pride and Prejudice ones -- oh yes!!!!! [face_dancing] \:d/

Very, very nice!

15. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Some very nice ficlets here, Brodiew.

The last bit was intriguing, and I really liked the way Castle and Beckett kept their own characters in very different settings.

But when I read the "Musical" bit, I could not help but think that The Phantom of the Opera might be more to Castle's taste. You know, what with the love triangle, the mysterious notes, and the genius/madman/murderer in the cellar. Though as a literary person, I understand he might also be tempted to do a complete comparative analysis of the musical and Gaston Leroux's original novel...

Cheers,

Lauré :)

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    SQUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEE!!! Be still my heart, but the P&P ones . . . My soul, Brodie. :p

[face_dancing]

Just . . . yeah. :D [:D]

First off, you have a knack for writing people out of their time and place - I enjoyed it with your Trek drabbles, and I am certainly enjoying it with these. [face_love]

Questioning: I really liked the spin of writer and informanet - especially in that historical context. Very nice. [face_love] =D=

Blood: How . . . delicious. [face_devil] I liked the low, sinister feel of this, and the rather obvious puns on 'sucks' and 'look like death.' Veeery nice. [face_mischief]

Under: [face_laugh]!!! There was so much to love about this one - I loved Castle's cheeky banter, even when she was leveling a riffle at him with every reason and intent to shoot. [face_laugh] He's the same in any universe. :p

Grey and Fortitude: Is there more I can say about these than a startling lack of control over emotes? [face_dancing] [face_love] [:D] :D [face_dancing] :p Just . . . I adored the banter, and the involuntary noticing he does, and his thoughts on social climmers and her 'brazen manner'. [face_love] I would love to see more in this universe in another set of drabbles!! :D

. . . just a little, anyway. ;)

~MJ @};-

17. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Author note: This week's subject was partly born out the events of the recent episode "Nikki Heat" and a question that popped into my head: What would break Kate Beckett? There are only four themes this week as they are related and the next word on my list was not. Be warned: Angst alert! Character death.

War

The first bullet hit him high in the chest, below his right shoulder. The second and third were tight in the center of his chest, while a forth entered his left leg just above the knee. You can forget slow motion. As Beckett watched, Castle danced macabre jig, surprise registering on his face for a split second before his eyes rolled up into head and he dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Beckett fired at the suspects until her gun was empty. She hit one of them, but it wasn't enough to bring him down. She still held her gun in the firing position; her back to the body she knew lay behind her. Finally, she let the gun drop to her leg and turned. Slow motion. She didn't want to see it; see him, bloody and pale. Would he be gurgling and panting? Did he have something to tell her? Was he already dead? Why wasn't she running to him? Why wasn't she trying to save his life? She knew it was pointless. She saw his eyes roll.

When she turned, his body was obscured by Ryan and Esposito trying to breathe and pump life back into him. She walked toward them, no staggered; the gun hanging in her hand like a little girl absently holding her dolly.

His torso was completely covered with blood. Esposito's CPR had blood pooling and draining at Castle's throat. A trickle had escaped his mouth. His eyes were closed and there was a peacefulness about him even as he shook with the pumping Ryan was doing on his chest.

She stared at his face. She knew she should be doing something else, but she couldn't look away. She couldn't move. She wanted him to say something, to crack a joke or give her his trademark smile. She needed him to sit up and tell her it was just an act, a terrible horrible practical joke.

She fell to her knees next to Ryan. He was yelling at Castle with each compression and, between breaths, Esposito was tapping his cheeks, and calling out to him. She saw their mouths moving, but couldn't hear what they were saying.

A flurry of emotion welled inside her. She couldn't name any of it. She just stared at his face and wondered who would bring her coffee tomorrow.

Tears

Beckett entered the precinct flanked by Ryan and Esposito. All three had blood spatter on their clothing, Ryan especially. Their eyes were red rimmed; each trying to keep their emotions from spilling over their fragile control.

Beckett was sure she could keep her feelings bottled up; that she could get through the day. But she couldn't even make it to her desk. She sank into a chair in the hallway usually reserved for guests. She put her hands to her face slowly shook her head. He?just?couldn't?be?dead.

It was Ryan's touch at her shoulder breached the levy of her control. She tried to shrink into herself; to become invisible as she began to shake and sob. Esposito sat next to her placing an arm around her shoulder. Ryan stood like sentry daring anyone to stare or linger too long in the hall. Both men had lost a friend, but, in this moment, they protected her instead of indulging their own grief. It was good of them, but, strangely, of little solace. A surge of denial caused her to stand suddenly.

"We have to go to the hospital," she demanded, swiping at tear stained cheeks. "He needs us."

"No?he doesn't," Esposito said softly. "He's gone, Kate."

"He can't be gone, Javier," she whispered as he drew her into a hug. "He can't be."

Sorrow-

It had been a week of lonely nights.

A week of avoiding phone calls.

It had been a week of going through the motions.

A week of unchecked murder.

It had been a week without coffee.

It had been a week without innuendo.

It had been a week of staring at book bindings and comparing his author pictures from the oldest to the most recent.

A week without Nik

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, how deliciously angsty. [face_devil]

War: This was . . . this was one of the best pieces of writing I have ever seen from you. You captured her battle high and her denial perfectly. The slow motion vs. too fast, and the bewildered last line of who would give her coffee. This was . . . this felt real, more real than some other death scenes I have read, and I am really just . . . Wow. :eek:=D=

Tears: Oh . . . :(

Sorrow: The repetitious style of your sentences made this powerful to read. Very, very powerful.

Time: Oh, sweetie!! I didn't even think of that, I was so wrapped up in Beckett's pain. :( I would love to see a continuation of these with Beckett and Alexis.

brodie, your writing was amazing here! Heartfelt and heartbreaking, but beautifully written, nonetheless. =D=

~MJ @};-

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= =D=

Very much sensing the regret and loss. Very well written. @};-

20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Knockdown Roundup

Javier

Esposito sits in an uncomfortable, stationary chair awaiting the next question. He frowns, knowing what it will be, but not being able to stop it.

"So, how did it make you feel?" the therapist asks with an almost robot cadence and matching drone.

"I think I'm more stressed in this session than I was in the warehouse," Esposito half jokes. "Aren't you supposed to be helpful, Jack. You look and sound like you want to be somewhere else. It's not like this is a party for me either."

"How are you sleeping, Javier?" asked the police psychologist, whose notebook rested on his thigh, right on top of the case file and Esposito's police record.

Folding his arms in defiance, he said: "I cry myself to sleep every night."

"The only way we're going to get through this is if you're honest, Detective?"

Esposito had seen this scene before. Wasn't it almost cliché for cops shows and movies? He couldn't blame the Doc, if he was a doctor. He was the one playing the tough cop. Wait a minute, he was a tough cop, but he didn't have to make it hard on the guy who was just doing his job. Truth be told, it was his job too.

"It sucked, Jack," Esposito said, forcefully. "My partner could have died. I could have died. It sucked."

Kevin

He didn't like that she was coming to the hospital. He wasn't ready to see her yet. He wasn't ready to absorb the impact of her hysterics. He had a few hysterics of his own he was trying to work out. He still needed to talk; talk to his partners, not his fiancé.

Jenny knows the life she's chosen; even thinks she understands. She can't. But this will be the test. This will be the cold slap to her face where she will stay or run. Could she handle the fact that his life would be in danger on a daily basis? How many times would she be able to take a visit to the hospital or the knowledge that he had been in a shoot out. He didn't like these thoughts. He didn't like doubting her. He loved her. She loved him. He hoped she loved him enough.

He's not ready to face her. Either way. Damned if an hour later, he's still shivering. His chest hurts. The EMTs said it would for some time. He didn't much care if she saw his weakness. That was love. But he had to work it out before he saw her. He had to know he was alright.

He lay in a hospital bed, gown and all. Javier was there. Castle and Beckett too.

"Did you see this clown," his partner said, pointing at Castle. "Jumped from the ceiling like a damn monkey."

Ryan looked at him with a weak smile. "Don't let her in here, Javi," he whispered. "Not yet."

Esposito's grin straightened. "You got it, Bro," he replied, solemnly.

Rick

She was wrapping his hand?personally. He was impressed how she stepped in and, with graceful force, told the EMT to 'help someone else'. He liked it a lot. He liked even more that she was grateful to him for saving her life. 'Thanks' went a long way when it came from Kate Beckett. But what he liked most is that they kissed. BAM! There was no denying it. Though she would. Not that they kissed; that was not in question. The denial would arise when he popped an altogether different question: Did she like it?

He looked, wistfully, into her eyes as she applied the fastener to his firmly wrapped wrist.

"So what do you think?" he asked nonchalantly.

"About what?" she replied easily, clearly not sensing the coming ambush.

He tried to play it off as passing curiosity, but it was impossible to escape the magnitude of the event. Or, at least the magnitude of the quake in his boots as the kiss ended. "About the fact that we kissed."

Kate Beckett blinked. She looked down at his hand which she was still holding. "I hadn't actually given it much thought. So much has happened since then. Getting Kevin and Javier out of there was our primary goal."

"Okay," he agreed eagerly. He knew now was not the time. In fact, there really wasn't ever a right time. Why not now? He had almost spilled the beans at her apartment earlier in the day. She had asked him point blank. But i

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, this one was powerful on a few different levels. =D=

Javier: I love, love, love that you chose to tackle these two POVs. Having him with the therapist was inspired - that was such a powerful piece of plot development and characterization with those torture scene, and you captured that brilliantly here. The sarcasm was very in character as well - it's a coping mechanism for things that run much, much deeper than that. :( (And on that note, I would love to see some Javier/Lanie bonding post-knockdown)

Ryan: This was another interesting look - his relationship, and that weight and strain that it would cause. :(

And then Castle and Beckett's part was perfect! I adored how the BAM line was mirrored. :p

And then the closing . . . [face_love]

Perfect, brodie! [:D]

~MJ @};-

22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Author note: Hell, again, old friends. It's been some time since I posted to this thread. In fact, I had planned to leave it alone at entirely. In addition to that, I wasn't as inspired by the end of Season 3 as I was by Season 2. That said, this is my first Castle writing of the summer. I hope I'm not too rusty. Enjoy!

Revived

Castle resented the fact that he was not able to ride in the ambulance as Kate was taken to the hospital. She had been declared dead on the scene, but the paramedics were still working to revive her when the doors were closed in his face.

Shooting a desperate look to his family, he backed away, pivoting into a run for his car. If possible, he would beat the beat them to Emergency. Almost before his mad dash had begun, it stopped. He was suddenly and rudely reminded that this was New York City. No one got any where fast.

Relieved

When Rick arrived at Emergency, he expect to find the grief hardened faces of Beckett's fellow officers as well as the inscrutable faces of the doctors, nurses, and technicians assigned to her case. What he found was a lot of worried looks.

Esposito leaned against a post near Reception speaking softly into his cell phone. He gave Castle a nod of acknowledgement.

"I'll call as soon as I know more," the detective said. "It's going to be alright. She's going to be alright. I love you."

Esposito flipped his phone shut and regarded the writer with cautious hope. "She's alive."

Restless

Castle paced the waiting room long after most of the officers and other concerned parties had left for the night. Esposito and Lanie were still there, though Ryan had taken Jenny home a couple of hours ago.

It was hard to imagine what the two detectives were feeling at the moment. First they had lost their Captain and now they stood to lose their best friend as well. He had lost a friend in Montgomery as well, but it wasn't even close to the same.

And the thought of losing Beckett was not one he was even willing to entertain.

Repose

"You look awful," Beckett croaked, as her eyes fluttered open to see Castle slouching in a chair next to her hospital bed.

Yawning, he leaned forward, stroking the five day growth adorning his face. "I'm too much of a gentleman to call you a 'kettle'," he retorted. "And, by the way, even half dead you are a stunner."

She smiled weakly and fidgeted under the covers, before settling again. "You're shameless."

"And you're on some pretty good drugs."

"They are pretty good, aren't they," she agreed. "But I haven't forgotten."

"Forgotten what?" he replied, curiously.

"What you said, Mr. Castle."

Relentless

Kate Beckett didn't resent being shot as half as much as the resulting recovery. Being vulnerable and dependent was never her strong suit. She set her mind and gritted her teeth through physical therapy and the requisite down time.

Castle was a constant presence at her side; giving both unfathomable patience as well a place for her live. The laughed, they fought, and they hatched plans for her eventual return.

If she wasn't previously galvanized to find her mother's killer, let alone her owner shooter, she was now a raging bull of determination. No one would stand in her way.

23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I am so glad to see you posting these again - you have a real knack for Castle fanfiction. =D=

Revived: This was equal parts endearing and heartbreaking. Oh, you have his thought process down pat. =D=

Relieved: This drabble was a literal deep breath of relief. :)

Restless: I can feel him fighting the urge to pace here. :(

Repose: Great banter, great emotional punch, and great -

Relentless: THIS. Yep, look out, here we come. :cool:

Wonderfully done, brodie. =D=

~MJ @};-

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    what a pleasant surprise! and rust? what rust is that? :D !! Excellent coherent and warm Rick/Kate stuff here.

@};-

25. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Mira_Jade: Thanks for being a good friend here on the boards. You're encouragement is much appreciate. I think my favorite of the set is 'relieved'. I don't know how many times you've written 'he/she's alive', but sometimes it just doesn't work. I think it worked well, here.

Jade_Eyes: Thanks for your support, Jade. I really enjoy and appreciate your comments.

Savage

It was Kate's first case back on the job. A brutal killing; the body being discovered suspended upside down with knives protruding from the arms, legs, torso, and skull. Beckett regarded the corpse intently, looking for any clue or personal statement left behind by the killer.

Squatting, she came level with the dead man's face. She pried open his mouth with and smirked in satisfaction. She retrieved a small roll of paper and motioned Castle to her side before opening it.

In block letters, it read:

SUCH A CUT UP.

"Clever," Castle said, raising an eyebrow. "Apparently, our killer has a very sharp wit."

Beckett allowed her lip to curl in amusement. "Dark, Castle. Dark."

He smiled, obviously pleased with himself. "But you wouldn't have any other way."

It was nice to be back.

Secret

It was no secret that Captain Victoria Gates ran a tight ship. She had won an efficiency award in her last precinct, which stood proudly on a book case behind her desk. She was by the book; in Beckett's eyes, almost to a fault. Montgomery had always given her the benefit of the doubt; the proverbial rope with which to either be brilliant or hang herself. It generally worked in her favor. Gates, on the other hand, had already expressed her dissatisfaction with Castle working cases, regardless or his clearance rate or celebrity. He, in the Captain's eyes, was nothing more than a bright shining liability.

Scintillating

CASTLE SCALED!

Nikki Heat author Richard Castle was attacked, yesterday, by two adoring and amorous fans at a Barnes and Noble book signing. Castle had been signing for no more than ten minutes, two women stripped topless and threw themselves at the author. Though he has recently discouraged this kind public nudity, the writer was said to be smiling as his chair went over backward?

Detective Kate Beckett folded the newspaper sharply and placed it at the edge of her desk. Her face showed no hint of anger, devilish mirth, or scorn at his misfortune. She simply took a sip of her coffee and opened the case file on her desk and started reading.

"I wasn't expecting a picture," said a sheepish Castle from his chair overlooking the photo of his trademark grin and the bare back of an eager fan.

"Like that makes it better," Beckett said, matter of fact.

"What I meant to say is I'm sorry. I would never-I know it looks bad. Good God does it look bad. Given that we are now us and how this makes-"

"Forget it, Castle," she said turning to him and letting a smile break. "It'll be gone tomorrow, some other scandal in its place. But making you squirm is more fun than ever."

Sexy

"I once fantasized about doing it, you know," Beckett said to Castle over a glass of wine on her couch.

"It?" Castle inquired, suggestively.

"Flashing you at a book signing."

Castle leaned back against the couch's arm, conjuring the aforementioned image. After a moment, he nodded his head a couple of times and said: "That would have been cool."

Beckett laughed. "You say that like it wouldn't be just as cool if it happened tomorrow.
    Castle said nothing but kept his eyes locked on hers. It would do no good to let his hopes rise on such an off hand comment. He reached down to the table and picked up his wine glass and drained it.

"Or tonight," she added, low enough that he almost hadn't heard.

His hopes left Earth's atmosphere. But he made the conscious decision to play it cool. He didn't want to seem eager, though his desires were nothing new to Kate.

"I'm not sure it would be as enticing without the added element of exhibitionism," Rick replied, returning the empty glass to the table.

Kate stoo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.