main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Child of the Dark Side

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Raissa Baiard, Apr 8, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    "Gell and Daiex made it a continous loop; the water flows into the pool and gets pumped right back up to the top--and the whole system is powered by the waterfall's energy."

So perpetual motion devices are possible in the SW galaxy? ;)

Other than that, great posts!

2. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Raissa's Writing Tip #2: Never try to fake expertise in a subject you know absolutely nothing about; someone will catch you at it. :eek:

Ok, obviously I'm not an engineer (perhaps Luke isn't either?) I wasn't even thinking of perpetual motion; just that it seemed like a waste to have this ornamental waterfall sucking up energy for no good reason. Apologies to the laws of physics; I'll edit that part out before archiving it.

Jeesh--I'm writing more apologies for factual errors these days!!!!! I think you just enjoy catching all my mistakes, Jeff42! :p

3. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Lucya might actually like Mara now. Cool!

4. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Good Post...hope Lucya likes Mara now. I thought maybe she would have taken Lucya's hand and let her feel her baby brother. That might also make a difference in their relationship. I have a sneaking suspiscion that Callista's *student* was behind the snakes, etc.

5. Luke_and_Mara_4ever

Luke_and_Mara_4ever Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    LUUUUUVed the part with Lucya and Mara, the poison aminals in the house SCARE me!! Callista is up to no @#$%$ good...sabatoging the house MY TWO FAVE PPL WILL BE LIVING IN!!!! Has it ever occured to her that she might end up hurting Luke instead of Mara?

6. Purple

Purple Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2000
  7. Luke_and_Mara_4ever

Aug 8, 2000
    Um, okay, when will we see more?

8. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    The clatter of stone on stone shook Callista out of her contemplation; she glanced up sharply to find that Raksha had upset one of the piles of stone disks she was balancing. Again. Theoretically, it was possible to move the stack of disks from one spot to another in a set amount of moves. Achieving that goal wasn't easy when you had unlimited time to plan. Raksha, laboring under the added distraction of deflecting the training remote's beams, was finding it well nigh imposssible. Callista had intended the exercise to teach Raksha a greater control over the Force and to make her concentrate under pressure. Obviously, it wasn't working. The Shistavenen cringed under Callista's scowl. "I'm sorry, Master," she rasped, bowing almost to the floor.

Callista waved a petulant hand at her apprentice before she could whine anymore. "Start again," she ordered. "And this time, try to get it right." Raksha groveled for another few moments, murmuring her thanks, and Callista sighed. Humility and deference to one's master were virtues, but since Raksha had disgraced herself, her subservience had become nearly too much to bear.

Raksha seemed more disappointed that she had failed to kill Mara Jade than Callista was. Callista had foughht her several times and knew how strong her opponent was. She would have been willing to forgive simple failure. But she couldn't forgive or forget the fact that Lucya had nearly been killed in one of Raksha's attempt, and that, worse, Mara Jade had been able to take advantage of the situation to sway her daughter's feelings. The rescue had destroyed all but the deepest roots of hatred that Callista had sown in Lucya's mind; now Mara Jade had acheived hero status in Lucya's eyes. She would rather the snake had bitten Lucya than watch her fawn over that red-haired witch. When Callista finally defeated her, Mara would suffer that much more for stealing her daughter's affection.

In the meantime, Raksha would atone for the mistake that allowed it. Callista put her through endless rounds of lighsaber practice and coutnless concentration exercises. Raksha, being the dutiful apprentice that she was, carried out her penance without complaint, determined to make up for past failures. She was so eager, so very willing to carry out her master's commands, Callista reflected as she watched Raksha evade the seeker while sliding the largest disk into position with the Force. But it would take more than good inentions for Raksha to succeed in her tasks, and though she'd found her strength in the Force, she still lacked the control necessary to fulfill her potential. Raksha balanced the second and third stone successfully, but just when Callista thought she was going to succeed at last, the seeker swwoped in from behind Raksha as she placed the fourth disk. It stung her arm, and Raksha yelped in pain, losing her concentration. The disk fell to the floor and rolled off into the temple's shadows. Her ears flattened themselves to the sides of her skull as she crouched low in shame.

"Enough for today," Callista sighed. She gestured for the Shistavenen to join her at the bench on the side of the temple. "Come, tell me what you've learned today." Raksha bobbed her head in acquiescence and slunk to Callista's side. She knelt in fron of the bench, barely taking her eyes of the floor as she spoke.

"Master, I know I've failed at the task you set for me today, but I beg you to let me make another attempt on Mara Jade's life." Raksha flinched automatically at the end of her speech, waiting for Callista to refuse. When Callista was merely silent, she slowly raised her eyes. "The disks reminded me of the stone tiles Jedi Lajos is using at Skywalker House. If a stack of them were to topple?"

"It won't work," Callista snapped. "She'll sense it before one sliver of rock can land." Had the wolfman learned nothing in the course of her failures? Mara Jade had the most abominably keen reflexes. That, coupled with her fabled danger sense, made her nearly impossible to surprise.

Raksha duck

9. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Nooo! When will Callista learn. Something bad will happen. I just know it.

10. Luke_and_Mara_4ever

Aug 8, 2000
    "She would rather the snake had bitten Lucya than watch her fawn over that red-haired witch"

I feel sick. How could any woman, Dark Side or no, feel that way about her own CHILD?!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!

11. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    oh, please kill Callista! Have Rashka accidentally kill Callista with the stones. This story has been around for a long time.....That was a good post.

Wouldn't Luke's danger sense kick in if the stones changed direction?

12. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    up please! Raissa, please post another post soon!
    I last replied to this a week ago. Last post was last week.

13. Luke_and_Mara_4ever

Aug 8, 2000
    MORE MORE M [face_shocked] RE!!!

14. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Hi everyone! This is just a quick note to ask you to please bear with me. I know I haven't posted on this one in a while but I've been suffering from a case of writer's block and trying to channel my writing energy into a new post for "A Parallel Star Wars Universe," which has been even more shamefully neglected than this one! (last post was more than a month ago, and the story's been in progress *blush* over 3 years) I promise I won't make you wait that long to see the end of CotDS, but I'm to a point where my decisions are going to have a big effect on the next chapter of the story (yes, CotDS part 2, tentatively titled "Family Secrets," is in planning!) and I want to make sure the next few posts are as good as they possibly can be. I have some ideas for the next post and I hope it will be worth the wait.

Thanks for for all your support! Your kind comments are truly appreciated! :)

MFTWBY,
    Raissa

15. Luke_and_Mara_4ever

Aug 8, 2000
    Well, I guess I can wait....how patiently remains to be seen.

YAY!!! THE ADMINS MADE A LUKE/MARA ICON!!!!!! PRIASE THEIR NAMES!!!!!!

16. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Come on, Raissa, we're not that bad! It's been over two years, but not three! (Still rather embarrassing, though. ;))

I'm looking forward to the next post, whenever it comes.

17. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    You're right (as usual ;) )Jeff42! It's only been a little over 2 years. Seems like I've been on TF.N longer than that! (The Paralell Universe was one of my first stories)

For my anxious readers, I apologize for a) not getting this to you sooner and b)only posting half a scene this time. This scene has been a real bear--restarted it 3 times. I thought that maybe half a post would be better than none! I'll work very hard on getting the rest of it written this week.

Oh, and I apologize in advance for any factual errors in this one-- notably on the subject of Mara's pregnancy, as I'm going from second-hand experience for those
    details.

Anyway....
    Summer brought the rainy season streaming across Yavin IV. At first Mara found it entertaining to watch Luke watch the rain. He was fascinated by the storms, amazed to see more rainfall in a day than he'd seen in 18 years on Tatooine. But after the first week or two of showers that drizzled off and on for days interrupted by storms that cascaded down in sheets, the small amusement Luke's farmboy innocence afforded wore off. The alternative forms of entertainment for the rainy season to be counting raindrop, twiddling her thumbs or catching up on administrative details. Neither of the first two held much interest for Mara, and she could only handle so much paperwork before her mind glazed over. Restlessness soon closed in. Cilghal and Luke frowned on the idea of Mara braving the rain even for her daily walk to the house, so even this small relief was denied. Not that there was much pointing to visiting the site, really. Work on Skywalker House had slowed to a crawl in the inclement weather. Its crew of student workers was at loose ends while they waited for the world to dry.

Mara sympathized with the students when she saw them wandering through the Academy's halls or watched them peering bleakly up at the sunless sky. They weren't the only ones who were anxious to have the house finished. She used to mark the days by the progress that had been made on Skywalker House; now Mara could measure time by the amount her suite had shrunk from the previous day. She was nearly into her seventh month of pregnancy, and she felt as big as a Hutt. Mara expected that any day now she'd wake up to find that the only clothes that still fit her were her shapeless Jedi robes-- unbelted. Luke, when pressed, assured her that she looked as beautiful as ever. Mara had sifted his thoughts thoroughly when he'd made that particular statement, but fortunately for him, found no trace of evasion in his mind. She could only conclude that, at least in Luke Skywalker's case, love truly was blind. It made knowing that her waistline was just going to keep expanding almost bearable.

Her sense that the Academy was shrinking around her had only been intensified today when the Solo children, as bored and fidgety as Lucya when she had to play with the same toy for more than five minutes, showed up at their door. Cramming two adults, three lanky teens, an energetic toddler, and an astromech droid into the suite's tiny conversation circle brought the room from cozy bordering on crowded to downright claustrophobic. Jacen didn't even make it through one telling of "The Little Lost Bantha Cub" before it became apparent that there were too many bodies packed in too small of a space. Lucya wanted to be everywhere at once; every available centimeter was already occupied, but she didn't let that stop her, scrambling over anything and anyone in her way. Mara, wedged between Luke and Jaina, began to feel uncomfortably warm, and Pheylan, in response to his mother's discomfort, grew restive, too. After a few pointed looks from Mara, Luke suggested that he take the boys to the great hall for lightsaber practice.

When the men had left and Lucya had been distracted by the suggestion that she make a picture of the Little Lost Bantha Cub for Jacen while he was gone, Mara poured a glass of Ralla mineral water and drank it in one long swallow. She sank back down onto the couch

18. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Half a post was definitely better than none! I love the thoughts of the pregnant Mara; very well written. The second half of the post should be interesting.

19. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    shame on Mara for manipulating Luke's mind. She should do that when the baby is born and he needs changing. Or if she needs a backrub. :)

Good half-post by the way.

20. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Aaargh! This is the scene that will not end! It seems the more I write, the more I have left to write. This stll isn't all I intended to write, but here's the next bit of the scene (slight overlap with last time because I modified a paragraph or two at the end) I will finish this as soon as I can, but I also owe a post to Her Brother's Keeper, so that's probably going to be next on my agenda.

Anyway...hope you enjoy part 2 of (hopefully)3!
    MTFBWY,
    Raissa
    Lucya protested her chief entertainer's departure, but was soon distracted by the suggestion that she make a picture of the Little Lost Bantha Cub for Jacen while he was gone. Once she was settled on the prr'san rug with her water frame, Mara poured a glass of Ralla mineral water and drank it in one long swallow. She sank back down onto the couch with a sigh, rubbing her abdomen and humming soothing thoughts at Pheylan. His movements slowly became less agitated, and he finally curled up to suck his thumb contentedly. Jaina watched Mara while she calmed the baby, wearing an expression of interest she usually reserved for appraising starships. Mara smiled at her niece; it didn't take any great insight to sense that Jaina was intrigued by her aunt's pregnancy. An uncharacteristically pensive look flickered in Jaina's eyes whenever she was around Mara, a glimmer of wonder about her future and what it might be like to carry a Force-strong child. But she seemed hesitant to broach the subject; perhaps she was uncertain how to--or even whether to-- frame all the questions she had.

It was therefore the duty of a good aunt, Mara decided, to take the matter in hand. "Sorry for the interruption, " she told Jaina. "But Pheylan kicks like a tauntaun when he's excited. If he ever gets tired of being a Jedi, I'm sure he could have a great career as a netball goalie." She paused for a moment, gauging her niece's curiosity with a sidelong glance. "Do you want to talk to him?" Mara offered.

"That's okay, Aunt Mara." Jaina quickly shook her head and waved away the suggestion, but Mara could sense a host of questions bubbling through Jaina's mind at the idea. "It's alright," Mara assured her. "He's awake. Mostly." Mara didn't wait for an answer this time, but took Jaina's hand and placed it on top of her stomach. "All you have to do is reach out to him in the Force."
    Jaina gave her a crooked smile-- half apprehensive, half eager -- and tentatively stretched out her feelings.

Over the months, touching Pheylan's presence had become second nature to Mara, as easy as reaching out to Luke. She gave him a gentle nudge. *We've got a visitor, you cousin Jaina.* Pheylan stirred in the sleepy twilight where he lay curled. He stretched and looked around drowsily until he noticed Jaina's presence hovering in the distance. Pheylan's curiosity awoke at the appearance of a new friend. The term "cousin" held no meaning for him, but, linked with his mother, he could feel Mara's affection for her. He smiled at Jaina, a welcome without words.

Jaina's answering smile was reflected in her Force presence. She slowly, gently extended a tendril of the Force to brush his awareness. Ever curious, Pheylan reached back; Mara had the impression of a tiny fist wrapped around one of Jaina's fingers. "Wow," Jaina breathed. "He's so?perfect. So?." She brought her unfocused gaze back from the distance looked up at Mara in awe. "It's like seeing you and Uncle Luke in the same place, only?.different. More?." She shook her head and shrugged helplessly, unable to supply the necessary adjective.

"More Pheylan," Mara finished for her. There was no other way to sum up the qualities that combined to create a unique whole. "He may have bits of me and Luke in him, but he's quite an individual-- and getting more so everyday. It still surprises me sometimes," Mara continued, and she knew a trace of the amazement in Jaina's expression was mirrored in her own. Seven months of pregnancy hadn't diminished the wonder of sharing in Pheylan's life. Unconsciously

21. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    I've been reading your stories for two years and I'm still in awe of how good at writing you are. Keep it up! :)

22. Luke_and_Mara_4ever

Aug 8, 2000
    Awwww....that was so sweet, Raissa!

23. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    You did just fine describing the awe and wonder of pregnancy. Glad you had time to write.

24. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    11 days and no updates? Raissa, where are you? I can only up this story so often.......

25. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Actually, I'm at a conference in San Antonio, Texas, right now! (home is Illinois) I'm just checking e-mail at a cybercafe (no laptop, darn it!) so I won't have a post until at least the weekend. I've got my trusty notebook with me, though, so I can at least jot down ideas. I'll get a new chapter to you as soon as possible.

Until then, MTFBWY,
    Raissa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.