main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Child of the Suns - An Owen Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Bale, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Title: Child of the Suns
    Author: Bale
    Characters: Owen Lars, Beru Lars, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Summary: A reluctant Owen contemplates the daunting task before he and Beru.
    Timeframe: ROTS
    Notes: Read The Stars to Which I Pray by VaderLVR64

Nominated 2006 WFFA - Best Vignette
    Thanks to those who nominated it. :)

Child of the Suns

We wept the day we found out she was pregnant, then cried harder the day she miscarried and the doctors told us she could not bear children.

The life of a moisture farmer is not an easy one. Subsistence comes begrudgingly, luxury not at all. I knew it; Beru knew it; her father knew it. So it was reluctantly that her father agreed to let her marry me. And it was reluctantly that I succumbed to Beru's wishes after we received Obi-Wan's transmission last night. I saw the rekindled hope that burned in her eyes. I swallowed my fear and pride; I could not deny her that which her body has.

The twin suns were setting when Beru's Angel of Mercy appeared over the ridge, not on mighty noble steed, but astride an eopie. He came not as a Jedi Knight but the shadow of a broken man. In his arms he carried his swaddled gift, a child, Luke, conceived in love and born of bitter agony. He handed the baby to Beru, then disappeared like the suns we watch descend below the horizon. He has shed his burden; now I will bear mine.

It will be no easy task to raise another man's child, a man whose name will not be spoken in this house, a man claimed by darkness and hatred. Already, there is much to be done. Somewhere in this harsh world a soft place must be made where a baby can sleep. Cloth needs to be cut for diapers; milk from the livestock will be needed to feed him. Tomorrow I will go into town and spread the story we've contrived to explain his sudden appearance.

Beru holds him, looks at him, already loves him as if he were her own. She ignores the danger he holds. An Empire, even worlds away, has a long reach. I fear its wrath will soon creep even into our humble lives. Perhaps today it has. What if his father learns he is here? Soon this baby will become a toddler who will someday be a little boy. That boy will become a man. Then what? Is he preordained to the same fate as his father?

There are more questions than answers; I fear to know the truth.

Beru rocks the tiny newborn to sleep while I shut the power down.

Indeed, these are dark times.

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    An excellent glimpse into Owen's thoughts at the moment Luke came into their lives. You portrayed his fears and trepidations so realistically.

Well done. :)

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Absolutely loved this piece! An impressive work here, my friend! Bravo! =D=

4. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    It will be no easy task to raise another man's child?A man whose name will not be spoken in this house?A man claimed by darkness and hatred. Already, there is much to be done. Somewhere in this harsh world a soft place must be made where a baby can sleep. Cloth needs to be cut for diapers. Milk from the livestock will be needed to feed him. Tomorrow I will go into town and spread the story we've contrived to explain his sudden appearance.

Beru holds him, looks at him, already loves him as if he were her own. She ignores the danger he holds. An Empire, even worlds away, has a long reach.

You never really think about how difficult it was for Owen to accept and
    raise Luke And in the end, he and Beru paid for that kindness with their lives...

Wonderfully touching vignette! =D= =D= =D=

5. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    This was simply beautiful.

Short-but it has a powerful impact, and I love how you have explored the thoughts that might have crossed Owen's mind..

Luke, conceived in love and born of bitter agony

:_| :_| :_|

This really resonates...and lingers.

=D= =D=

Hmm... I think I'm going to haunt you. :D

6. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Owen's reflections strike a powerful chord.

Thank you for sharing this.

7. wendynat

wendynat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Amazing vignette! I really loved this one - Owen gets short shrift in fanfic rather often, and it's nice to see his thoughts and fears here in your story. Beautiful wording and sentence structures, too - I was starting to copy and paste my favorites, then I was cutting and pasting too much :D. Loved all of it!!

8. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Very touching.
    I've always be scared off by Owen's character--never knew what to do with him.
    This is great.

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Great story!! You did an amazing job getting into Owen's head.

Bravo!! =D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    That was pretty powerful, Bale. Nice work tackling Owen's character.

11. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    *bows* Wonderful job my Master.

This is truly very powerful, and such an interesting look into Owen's character. I can only imagine how hard it would be keeping Darth Vader's son safe, all the while wondering if he will become like his father, or if the Empire will come looking for him.

Again, amazing job, Master!

Ani-maniac

12. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Wow! Now here's a character that more often than not goes written as a total jerk, but you've done a wonderful job of getting inside his head, to make us understand him. Years of fear would change him beyond recognition, as he tries to keep Luke oblivious to the danger he truly is in, should Vader ever discover him.

This is a wonderful viggie, bravo! =D=
    Stormqueen

13. Obi-WansApprentice

Obi-WansApprentice Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2002
    [face_plain] :eek: [face_worried]

This was absolutely amazing, Bale! I think you captured the weight on Owen's shoulders perfectly! I never really realized how much he and Beru must have sacrificed and how much responsibility then had to take on just to care for Luke. I will proudly admit that your little viggie helped me to view these two wonderful characters with a new perspective...I admire them all the more now that I see them in such a different light. It's not easy to take on the difficult task of parenthood, which is even more difficult when it's not even your own flesh and blood, and I think that you captured that whole idea wonderfully.

[:D]

=D= =D= =D= =D=

Brilliant work, Bale!

Obi-WansApprentice [face_love]

14. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Gina: Glad you enjoyed it. I can sort of relate to Owen's fears so I'm glad it came across realistically.

VaderLVR64: I'm honored by your presence. Thank you for writing The Stars to Which I Pray! It was a huge inspiration in writing this piece. For those who haven't read her viggie!

Star_Drifter: Thank you for all of the help and encouragement for my writing!

JOINME: Thank you for reading. I'm enjoying your work as well.

Neo-Paladin: Thank you for reading!

Wendynat: Thank you for the wonderful compliments. It would be nice to see more pieces with Owen.

Oqidaun: Thanks for reading. I'm still trying to get caught up on your great work.

Kelia: You are too kind.

Exeter: Thank you for the compliment. To say I've been enjoying your work would be an understatement.

Ani-maniac: You are a great beta and a wonderful friend.

Stormqueen874: Thank you for the kind words.

Obi-WansApprentice: Wow! That was never my intention, but it's amazing to think my writing could have such an impact.

15. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Beautiful, truely beautiful. Well done. =D=

16. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    That was powerful and insightful. You helped me to understand Owen in a way that I had not found possible before. Thank you. Oh, and I liked the POV very much!;)

17. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
  18. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
  19. AzulSaber

AzulSaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Wonderful, realistic portrayal of Owen's thoughts upon Luke's arrival.

Great job! @};-

20. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Thanks to all for reading! Your comments have been very encouraging.

While not my best job, here's some cover art I've come up with for this piece:

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/Sphinxman4/CoScover2.jpg]

Aiel: This was definitely a different type of piece for me, so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Zonoma: Thank you for the wonderful compliments!

Star_Drifter: It is a pleasure to serve you, Mistress.

Karebear214: Thank you!

Azulsaber: I'm glad my characterization of Owen came off as believable. I was concerned that people might have a hard time believing that Owen had a somewhat softer side to him.

Thanks again to all of you.

21. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Nice cover art, Bale.
    I reread this piece and still love it.
    =D= again.

22. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    Bale
    Hey! I picked this up off your sig. This is wonderful! Very perceptive insights into Owen's world. You're showing us the forces that shaped the man we met in EP4!

23. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    Wow, that was a great read. I love the way you portrayed Owens emotions, his fears and his overall devotion to do what he felt was right for the woman he loved.

24. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Wow what a awesome little vignette!! I love how you got in Owens mind in this, I can picture him feeling just the way you potrayed him. =D= =D=

25. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    This is a touching vig, Bale. You have managed to penetrate the heart of Owen Lars. A sad man with one light in his life, Beru. He loves her and cannot deny her motherhood.

He may have been harboring some residual bitterness over not having a child of his own, a hatred for the child's father, and a fear of what the child might become. Bitterness, hate, and fear are not good things in a fledgling father.

He came not as a Jedi Knight but the shadow of a broken man. In his arms he carried his swaddled gift, a child, Luke, conceived in love and born of bitter agony.

You even managed to sum up Obi-wan's condition on coming to Tatooine.

Excellent work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.