main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC CIII FanForce hotel booking... Back to Square One. :)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by stateless, Jun 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    At our last meeting, I mentioned that there was a possiblity of FanForce getting a block of rooms for Celebration III. Below is more information from jedi_master_sal, who is putting all this together. Please read through this entire post, including Sal's message and my comments at the bottom. I know that this requires a little bit of actual concentration, but I'm sure you handle it. ;)

Sal's message:

------------------

This is a formal letter regarding hotel room booking information for CIII. I have been told by Terry (aka: Rox) that I am authorized to negotiate a group rate for all of Fanforce. It is my hope to secure a full hotel connected to the convention center (by skywalk) for all of Fanforce before the general public is able to book rooms. I am fairly confident that this is possible.

The 501st already has a deal through them for 250 rooms, but I am confident that with the combined presence of Fanforce we will be able to have many more rooms requested, and could then present a valid case for special consideration in regards to discount rates and "pre-booking".

The room rates quoted to me so far (this was by one specific hotel so rates may differ slightly) were as such:

$134 per night for a single (1 person) 1 double bed
    $144 per night for a single (2 person) 1 king bed
    $154 per night for a single (3 person) 1 king bed, 1 roll out bed
    $164 per night for a single (4 person) 2 doubles

Should the actual rates be different (whether higher or lower) you will be notified immediately after I receive that information.

The bed size may vary by hotel. You will also be notified of that should it differ than what is quoted here.

The information contained in the replies I receive will figure prominently in the negotiating process and, as a result, will need to be as accurate as humanly possible since a contract will most likely need to be drawn up.

Do not "pad" your numbers. Only firm numbers, please. (The "possibles" may be taken into account, but I suspect that unlikely.) We, as Fanforce, can not be responsible for extra rooms not filled, so once again I urge you to be absolutely confident with your figures before you submit them to me.

Since this is just the beginning of the negotiation phase, I do not yet have any answers regarding who, how, and when you will be able to pay for rooms. Rest assured that I will post this information immediately after finding out, so as to give you and your respective members as much time as possible to make whatever decisions you need to make regarding payment.

If there are any questions regarding CIII room booking, please PM me for now and I will ensure that a special thread be made for this, which will include a FAQ.

-------------------------------

If you are interested in getting in on this, here is what I need from you. I need to know a) how many people are definitely going and want to get in on this, b) how many people are maybes, and c) how many rooms you need.

Let's say you have six people who want to go and you need two rooms, you would tell me that you need:
    1 room, 4 people
    1 room, 2 people

You need to let me know if you are definitely commiting to this or are just a maybe. (Obviously the more people we have that are definites, the easier it will be to negotiate a better rate.) I need this information by June 20.

If you're interested, please PM me with the requested information. Also, if you have questions, you can PM me or jedi_master_sal.

2. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    BUMP! :D

Just a reminder that I need responses by Sunday or Monday early AM at the very latest. I've received a few already (kudos for not waiting till the last minute!).

I know it seems early to start thinking about accomodations for something that happens in April of next year, but it's not. If you wait till the last minute to think about hotel, you probably won't be staying anywhere near the convention center... Even I'm not procrastinating on this. Hehehehe.

3. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    you know I'm going. :D I just wish the rooms weren't so expensive.

4. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Expensive? The above prices are really good for downtown. You can always stay outside the city for really cheap, but then you have to find a way in and out of the city every day.

5. Velvetdragon

Velvetdragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2004
    Ok, just sent you a PM. Me and another person are a definate.

And the price isn't much differnt than Shoreleave, really. Actually, isn't the Hunt Valley Marriot more expensive?

Velvetdragon
    aka Chrissy

6. Isildur_42

Isildur_42 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 7, 2002
    1 4 person room for me, boboefett, and 2 others (whoever wants to join in.)

7. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    The prices seem pretty much par for the course for a con in a city center. I'm in!!

8. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Absolute last chance to get back to me as I'm gathering the final numbers now. :D

Thanks to all that responded already; we have quite a crew!

9. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    The deadline for submission of numbers has been extended to July 1st. (Yes, I'm the person negotiating this)

So, if you haven't as yet said you were going, you have another week to do so. (PM stateless.)

The negotiation for rooms is taking place before they are being offered to the general public. This is for rooms at one of the connected hotels to the convention center.

In the event we cannot negotiate a deal for either cheaper rates or pre-booking or both, there is no harm no foul since this will be decided upon before the actual booking takes place.

Just a side note, the price before GenCon's discount would have been $200 or more per room, so we're already quite a good discount. Though I'm trying to push the envelope just a little further.

Thanks Valerie for your submission. Remember there's one more week left now to say if your going.

Look forward to meeting you folks at CIII!
    Thanks and MTFBWY!
    -Sal

10. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Ok, since the deadline has been extended, if anyone else would like to get in on this, please send your information to me by June 30. That way I can prepare the final numbers for Sal by the 1st. Also, if you've already sent your numbers but you want to change them, please do so by the 30th.

Also, for those of you that sent in 'possibles', it will be better if you can find out if those are definite or not. For example, if you reserved a room for 2 definite and 2 possibles, it would be better if you could find out for sure if the two possibles will be there or not. That way you are guaranteed the number of beds that you need in your room.

11. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Hey all, I'm off the British Isles board (your sister board, yay!)

Was just wondering who was going from your side? As far as I know there is only one other person going from the UK board. Seems a little lonely for me to be heading out there all on my lonesome!

12. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    As far as I know, pretty much everyone here intends to hit C3! Don't worry, you won't be lonely. There will be thousands of fellow fans to keep you company. ;) And it would be nifty to meet someone from our 'sister' board! :D

13. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    sweet! the British are coming!! :D

14. Isildur_42

Isildur_42 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 7, 2002
    I found the other 2 people for me and Oboewan's room, two friends from the arizona fan force.

15. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Alrighty, if they are definites, then I will updates your numbers.

Thanks!

If anyone else wants to add on or update, please let me know TODAY! :D

16. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Here are two updates as to the CIII room booking situation. Both are good!
    -----------
    For everyone's information:

The proposal has been sent to GenCon. I am awaiting their response.

We had a late push last Thursday (July 1) and our totals nearly doubled.

We have 34 chapters who have signed up, more than 100 rooms requested for, accounting for several hundred members from 5 countries.

The exact breakdown will be posted later as I have time.

Now we sit and wait for a response. If I do not receive one by Thursday, I will follow up then. It is important that we give them adequate time to respond back. We do not want to rush this to a point where they are offended and back away.

In the meantime keep your fingers crossed. At worst if they say no, we are in no worse position than we currently are in. Which is to say that when the rooms become available to the general public, we would have to fend for ourselves.

You will know, IMMEDIATELY upon me finding out ANY information regarding the proposal. It is my sincerest hope that we are able to come to an agreement with GenCon for the rooms, but were we not to succeed, at least and honest, earnest attempt has been made.

May the FORCE be with us in this,
    -Sal
    --------------
    Here's the second and even better update! The response!
    --------------
    Sweet mother of Anakin we have an initial response from GenCon and it's very promising!

Here is the response (the person's name sending it to me has been withheld) This in part so that they are not getting calls from everyone and their brother, hope you understand. Anyway here we go:

Hello Chris,

I'm going to discuss this with LucasFilm and will get back to you with reference on how they want us to handle the housing requests for large groups like this.

Talk to you soon.

NAME WITHHELD

This is actually GREAT NEWS. At the very least they did not say no from the get-go. That was the biggest hurdle to jump. Good news is that she carbon copied this to a person at LucasFilm for whom I've spoken to directly in the past and that person now works under Steve Sansweet, with whom I spoke to last month on the phone and have had two e-mails with.

This all plays out well for us. It's a good step in the right direction.

We're still not out of the preverbial "forest of Endor" (woods) yet, but we can see the bunker (light)...

-Sal
    ---------
    End of updates... for now.
    -Sal

17. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    shoot, i should come on here more often. there is a good chance i might be at CIII. oh well, i guess ill find my own room.

18. KnightThomas

KnightThomas Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2004
    Yeah, I'll be there too most likely, and probably severely underfunded lol. I'll have to scrounge around to find some way to get by.

19. stateless

Jul 30, 2002
    Ok guys... it would seem that the request for an FF block of rooms has been denied. Sal tried very hard to get this to go through but unfortunuately it was not to be.

So we're on our own in the quest for rooms near the convention center... Should be fun, especially for non-hyperspace members!

20. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Thank god I'm in the 501st!!! I have a slight lead over those non-hyperspace people. ;)

21. kenobi420

kenobi420 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2002
    Hyperspace is sweet... :cool:

:D

22. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    this sux, i guerss ill be in motelling in chicago then. all the hpotels near by will be booked.

23. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    It's nice when your boyfriend has hyperspace. :)

24. Velvetdragon

Velvetdragon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2004
    Wait a minute, everything is sold out already? Or just taken up by someone?

Also, is there anyone that needs to share a room? I'll be happy to pitch in for even floor space.

*frowns*

25. kenobi420

kenobi420 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2002
    No, nothing's sold out yet; none of the rooms are even available for reservations... We're talking about how Hyperspace members will get first dibs once reservations do open up. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.