main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classic themes in Star Wars: Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Pondscum, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    Is anyone else bothered by the overuse of The Force Theme and other familiar pieces of music in Rebels? I've only just started getting into it and overall I'm impressed and surprised at how close it comes to evoking the atmosphere and appeal of the OT.

A big part of that is the music of course. But it seems that themes that would be used for pivotal or poignant moments in the films are thrown into every episode to punctuate just about anything that could use a nice bit of music. It seems like the Force Theme pops up just about every time someone uses the force.

In and of itself I don't hate it, but I worry that in the run up to TFA it might be diluting the effect and poignancy of the moments these pieces of music make their grand returns.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I must agree with how I feel it can be overused. In the saga itself, it's really only used in key moments regarding the Force that advance the story either literally or thematically, and that's what makes it special. To fling it out every time someone so much as lifts a pebble with the Force makes it meaningless

darskpine10 likes this.
  3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I wouldn't mind it if they used familar pieces for scenes related to the music, like in TCW. Eg. the walker music from ESB in the walker scene in Rebel's Resolve.

I don't like it when they put random music wherever they feel like it. Eg. the music from when Rune and Nute are arrested in TPM plays at the end of Fighter Flight. There's no linking there whatsoever!

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I love the use of the themes it's the timing of usage that is sometimes jarring. Rebels feels nothing like the OT for all their heavy-handedness. It's a shame.

5. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    It seems like the Star Wars animated shows have yet to hit their groove when it comes to musical continuity. The Clone Wars didn't reference the previous themes nearly enough and Rebels referenced them to the point of nausea. It doesn't help that Kiner's original material is completely forgettable, especially when compared with the robust memorability of the previous themes.
    It's too bad they couldn't bring in a composer with a better track record like Mark Griskey for the series.