main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    Terminator 3 was totally Bogan. You would expect John Connor from Judgement Day who is young and intelligent to not be afraid of a dog and a girl 10 years later.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  2. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

hulk goatse.
    [​IMG]

3. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Buttvengers.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

SithSense likes this.
  5. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003

Sometimes, the only way to fix temporal damage caused by terminators is MORE TERMINATORS

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Motion poster:

rumsmuggler likes this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Is Robert Patrick going to make a cameo?

9. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

Watch the trailer again.
    [​IMG]
    If it's not actually Robert Patrick, they must have hired that extra because of the resemblance.

10. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    So is there anyone else than me who likes Salvation better than 3? Don't get me wrong, I don't love any of them, but Salvation is a much better looking production than T3 and it at least has an original story. It doesn't make much sense... but it's original. Whereas 3 is pretty much a repeat of 2 until the end, where the inescapability of Judgment Day brings about a new turn of events. Unfortunately, that's where the movie ends.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    There should be no sequels after T-2, the ending of T-2 was perfect.

I always think T-1000 is better than T-800 as a villain.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, definitely- Salvation is much more watchable than T3. Especially Salvation's first hour.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    They should have included the Bale rant into the movie.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You can kinda "choose your own adventure" in the Terminator canon. T1 & T2 are a singular loop. T3 introduces the concept of alternate timelines with the Terminator simply saying "Judgement Day is inevitable". Sarah Connor Chronicles is a T2 sequel in a different direction (the introduction of Chromartie and Cameron are an offshoot of that timeline going all "Temporal Cold War"). Salvation is another alternate timeline, while Judgement Day happens I think pretty much the same time as T3 - basically - the timeline is different due to the introduction of the Terminators earlier into the war. And Genisys seems to be fully embracing the alt-timeline madness. Which I am totally okay with, I dig me some wackiness.

15. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

Because of the time travel element, sequels are kind of essential. Skynet still destroys most of the world, and John Connor still becomes humanity's champion. The only way around that would to have T2 end with Sarah Connor waking up in 1984, telling her roommate that he had a really bizarre dream, then going about her life as a waitress.

James Cameron painted the franchise in a corner.

16. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    Salvation's two biggest problems were a. they didn't delve into and embrace the Future War that we saw in the first two Terminator movies with the fields of bone and laser weaponry, opting instead to make what amounted to Transformers. Or Transforminators.
    b. It turned into the Christian Bale Show. There was really no need for John Connor to have more than just a cameo in the movie, but as soon as Christian Bale signed up, he forced them to re-write it so that he'd have a bigger role. McG was so gung-ho about getting Bale on board that he acquiesced...and the rest is history.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That's called ending the story. Because there's nothing more to say about it. Maybe people should have taken the hint.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Agreed. But I'd go further and say the story was ended in the first movie.

soitscometothis likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Only ended after the first film? Blasphemy!

... well, okay, the first film has a great circular ending but taken on it's own the first film ends on an incredibly nihilistic note (Sarah Connor driving away into an oncoming storm to give birth to John but, yeah, humanity is wiped out by robots). T2 is the super-mega-happy ending, even with it ending towards an unknown future. (Yes, it did originally end with Old John as a Senator but that was cut out, and rightfully so! Unknown future black highway is about as happy as this series can get.)

nice pull that Bale caused a bunch o rewrites on Salvation. However, even despite the "WHAT DON'T YOU %&*$%$ UNDERSTAND?!" Bale histrionics, I actually kind of like and think "Salvation" does a good balance between Marcus Wright and John Connor as the co-leads (their "face off" scene is pretty damn great). The character who ends up getting relegated to supporting duty in that is really Kyle Reese. But I still like Yelchin's performance as Reese anyway but I'll admit I like Yelchin in pretty much anything.

Somewhere in the multiverse there's a version of "Salvation" that I would assume has Reese and Wright as the movie's leads, and John Connor as a cameo. Also that original crazy kinda ending where Marcus kills Connor, or Connor dies and they graft his face onto Marcus so Marcus = John Connor. (There's also an interview where McG admits that was one of the endings they had, can't track it down now) Which is nice and twisty but a bit too much so. I kinda dig the "Marcus sacrifices himself for Connor" ending we have now.

I will fully admit there is not an installment in this entire Terminator series that I flat out hate. Just varying levels of "Dig" to "Outright freakin awesome".

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd ague that Cameron didn't end the story- but provided a possible ending if necessary. Keep in mind that even Cameron planned to make T3 eventually (as recently as 1995, where T2-3D was intended to be a stepping-stone to T3). It wasn't until the backhalf of the 90's where Titanic and his love of sea exploration turned him away from that path- but the original intention was still there.

I totally agree on the second point- you can tell the film suffers from a dueling focus forced upon it. Particularly during the Resistance base portion, which was the lowpoint of the film.

The first part though I would disagree with. If T4 was to be the final film and its intention was to wrap up the storyline with the assault on Skynet, then the setting you refer to would have been needed (...as would a focus on John Connor).

However, TS was meant to be the first part of a new trilogy that would eventually lead to the bonefield and shiny Skynet with plasma weapons. It was to begin the transition from modern warfare into sci-fi warfare. Laser guns don't just pop up overnight. It's function there, however, is severely undermined by the fact that the other two films were never made to conclude that purpose.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm just not sure what to think about this new one.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    In all honesty, I don't think they want you to do much thinking.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    On the plus side, it looks like Genisys is gonna flat-out start at the Future War endgame with all the plasma rifles and endosekleton warfare we can handle. So we've seen the beginning and the end of the Future War if you view T1 to Genisys as a single continuity. It's just gone completely sideways due to all the time-travelleing buggity-boo. So, actually, going back to T1 in Genisys kinda works. Well, at least to me. Hopefully. But bring on the time-travel, alternate timeline T-1000 in 1984 and Old Arnold vs. Young Arnold craziness.

Fun fact: initially T2 did start with a full-on Skynet Future War John Connor sends back Terminators and Kyle Reese craziness. (go here http://www.terminatorfiles.com/media/scripts/ and download the "omitted scenes" link to read that opening. I remember originally reading it on the freakin' T2 lazer disc extra features. I think this is a copy n paste of that info.) Cameron just dropped it after the scripting phase so all we get in T2 is that short opening bit of Connor on the battlefront. But it looks like Genisys is gonna do finally do a version of that opening now.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is it going to even do that well?

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It has the July 1st weekend to itself- but T3 & TS did eat away at the franchise and Arnie hasn't had a huge hit yet since his return.

On the other hand- the film looks better than the last two films, has way better trailers than T3 did and actually seems to be doing something new with the franchise. So that could pay off. I think the desire to embrace a good Terminator film still exists- the last two just didn't deliver enough for audiences to embrace.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.