main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Come with me if you want to live: The Terminator Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Jan 6, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Maisie can take over in T6 as they flashback to young Sarah and Pops. ;)

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah. that was the biggest problem of the movie. John Connor deserves far much better as the great hero of the franchise.

3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Don't know if this has already been posted earlier in the thread, but it put a smile on my face:

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think I did, but it's always a hoot to see again.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Was scrolling through the Terminator: Genisys FB page (sometimes when I'm bored I dig through movie FB pages that been updated sporadically since the release) and here's probably one of the better looks at the specs of the "T-3000". Which I literally did not know that was the moniker for it until right now, I just thought of it as John Connor Terminator and or Skynet. (Or the wayI see it he's an Alternate Universe Skynet who basically bombs into the original T1 timeline which is where the entire flick comes from)

[​IMG]

I will say, I think the Connor twist is one of the better things the movie does in the 2nd half (which isn't as jumping as the 1st half) and, it's an easy callback, but I kind of love how twisted it is when Sarah is unloading explosions on "John" and he pulls the classic "I can't be reasoned with, I can't be bargained with" speech (which Jason Clarke sells rather effectively)

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Random, but whatever happened to Darth Ignant?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  7. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    i really want them to make another terminator that is actually a good movie

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You want a good movie? That's out there.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Fascinating.

Diggy and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The intention was that "Rise Of The Machines" and "Salvation" were supposed to form a duology, way before they were ever actually made. One movie would show how it happens and then the other would be the future war. When you watch the final films, there is some carry over of what was intended. "Salvation" makes references to "Rise Of The Machines", even if the direction of those stories weren't entirely what was intended.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the "carry over" references were simply a result of vague continuity- WB was still distributing the films and they weren't going to ignore the last movie they put out. However, completely different production companies were involved in making each film so I would cast doubt on any significant creative intentions carrying over from one project to another. Those trace amounts of continuity are probably the result of the same writers as T3 writing the initial screenplay but that got rewritten extensively (IIRC, Alan Dean Foster actually rewrote his novelization after he finished it because things had changed so much).

I wouldn't doubt that there was always an intention for T3 to cause the war and for T4 to show the war but Salvation was definitely designed to be the first of a new trilogy- it was directly described as such (and McG wanted to direct both T5 & T6). However, the T5 McG supposedly proposed would have involved sending back HKs to the present day so that evolution or transition might have only occurred briefly (at least during the second film).

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  12. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I remember when the movie came out, two videogames were released simultaneously. One was the events of the movie, while the other was in the future. I don't remember whether the future game had a campaign or if it was just online multiplayer, but if the tie-in merchandise already focused on the future war, that seems to indicate that they already had a sequel in mind set in the future.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I think the series has run its course. They tried a future war film, and it failed. They tried rebooting/bringing Arnie back, and that failed even harder. Let the rights revert back to Cameron.

14. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It should have ended with T2.

But at least the 4th movie brought us this

15. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I just want a future war movie that takes place in the exact same environment and the same tone as was depicted in the first two films (which Salvation utterly failed to do). Humanity is on the brink of extinction, it's too dangerous to move around in daylight, HKs everywhere...seriously, those Reese flashbacks are still the scariest post-apocalyptic world that's ever been done in sci-fi.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Would Cameron do anything with Terminator once he gets the rights? I think that's sort of fated to happen because Paramount doesn't seem to want to do anything with it. But Paramount just put up the cash, I think the company that owns it is still Megan Ellison's company. Although the rights might be a bit twisted at this point because the rights Cameron has would be for the 1st film and maybe not the 2nd, etc.

I keep cracking jokes about Avatar Vs Terminator come Avatar 5 but, dangit, if he has the rights back in about 2 years, do something with it.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't think he'd do anything. He's never made an effort to get involved in doing more films, nor with the television series. The most he's ever done is be a creative consultant and watched the films, or at least read the script ahead of time.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I think Cameron's last interest in the franchise was pre-Titanic when he was positioning T2-3D:BAT (just so we have to distinguish from the 3D T2 coming out) as being a T2.5 stepping stone towards T3. After Titanic, though, I think his interest waned or was overcome by his exploration interests instead.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think it's a bit of both.

20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Maybe it's just me. But if this series were to continue, isn't it time to move past Sarah, John, Reese and Arnold Terminator. Just look at Genesys.

21. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Well, since all of the movies except Salvation have been in the present, they never could be about anyone else, because nobody else but them know what's gonna happen. And since the war was postponed yet again at the end of Genisys, that's still the case. It can only be about anyone else if it's set in the future, and to its credit, half of Salvation is about Marcus Wright.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Why are they still making these? Should have stopped at T2. Everything beyond T2 has been a complete dud.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  23. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Yes I think the franchise has run its course. Back in 84 when T1 was released ( man I feel old! ) Nuclear war was very real & A.I., drones & self driving weapons still seemed impossible. Now we have all that & the military is just over a decade away from real bipedal robot warriors. Probably by 2030. Nuclear war is now close to impossible.

I say one last movie. Maybe SKYNET sends back a few infiltrators and they take over a key business. Overthrow some third world nation & move up from there.

Incorporate some modern geopolitical stuff in the next film.

24. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Yeah. The themes and allegories for T1 and T2 were good for their time.

I can understand them wanting to have a T3 with older John, because you know, trilogy, but they ended it with the war back on target.

I agree, they need more allegories to current political climate to make it relevant agin.

Always this series will continue to go downward.

Darth Basin likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, again, I think TSCC did an excellent job of continuing the franchise and making it relevant (focusing on emerging AI, etc). The movies just never moved beyond imitating T1 & T2- and the only time they really did (T4), it was an incomplete misfire suffering from a split-character focus from a rewrite.