main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

could star was have been a stand alone film?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by mrfootball, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfootball

mrfootball Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
  2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
  3. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I also say yes.

4. Snaggleass

Snaggleass Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    I already made a thread like this way back. Use search bar, son.

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    keyword being "way back" - I can't even remember it. Besides, poor guy was locked in Saga already :p
    If you find it, PM me the link and I decide if it's recent enough. Make yourself useful if you really want to contribute something - which you haven't so far...

and while I'm at it:
    mrfootball, you could have at least copied your opening post from the Saga thread in here.

6. Darth_Devilkin

Darth_Devilkin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2003
    Although George wanted it to be a saga he had no idea it would be the success it was. In fact many thought it would bomb at the box office, which is why I believe he made a couple tweaks in the script to make it work as a stand alone movie while leaving things open to continue the saga if it did succeed.

Which thank Christ, it did...

7. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    So in essence, yes, and it proved it by doing so.

After which GL decided he could go ahead and do ESB and RotJ. Which were a succes at least partly because people fondly remembered the first movie that set up an interesting and likebable set of heros and a good villain.

About a quote from severian28 in the locked Saga thread Vader escaping in ANH ecshewed the stand alone idea, in my mind. I think people knew they were going to get more just with that single shot in ANH.
    Don't agree. It just made a good ending: things turned out for the good, battle won, but that doesn't make everything okay, it just means the war could be won at a later time.
    I think that with that being the end of Star Wars I could have lived with it. As opposed to for example ESB which clearly needed a followup to wrap things up.

8. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    It could have been. But I'm glad it's not.

9. MoldyBread

MoldyBread Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 10, 2000
    Seems how it was nominated for Best Director, Best Picture and Best Screenplay for the '78 Academy Awards, it was seen a a stand alone film. At the time, people didn't know it would become a saga.

10. BATTLELION

BATTLELION Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Who would watch such a hokey movie? Robots, laserswords, wookies, come on.

Just joking.

For a while, it wasn't called Episode IV or anything. It wasn't even called A New Hope. It was just STAR WARS.

And Lucas was skeptical it would succeed. It was a low-budget far fetched imaginative movie that took a big chance. He thought it would have flopped. Boy he was wrong.

I'm kinda glad, too!

My mom and dad saw that movie SIX TIMES IN THE THEATRES TOGETHER WHEN THEY WERE DATING.

Maybe they got married becuase of Star Wars!

11. Snaggleass

Oct 6, 2004
    It's been done son.

12. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    At one time it was...

...and it blew most people away.

13. CommanderJamesBond

CommanderJamesBond Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2005
    I doubt Star Wars would be as popular today, had it been just one film.

14. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Then what would this forum be called? "Classic Movie"? :p

15. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    It very easily could've been a stand alone movie, in fact it would've been most likely if it had bombed.

16. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    It was made to stand on its own. You can't bank on sequels to tell your story. Not everyone gets their trilogy guaranteed.

L8r

17. Z-95

Z-95 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2000
    yup.

18. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    The way the story was presented;

Hero comes of age.
    Villians defeated.
    Happy ending with smiling rebels...

Yeah. Very easily could have been a single movie.

Lucas knew that too. Ergo why we have two Death Stars...

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    If Lucas had made the movie the way he initially wanted, Star Wars would have been one movie, but it would have been about 3.5 to 4 hours long, and he knew that studio would never go for that so he broke it into third and expanded each part into a full length movie. As Darth Digital has already mentioned, it also explains why we have two Death Stars, since Lucas was aware that there was every possibility for the movie to be a huge bomb, he needed some sort of resolution at the end of the first movie, in case in ended up being the only movie.

20. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    If star wars was a stand alone movie, even though the rebels win againts the death star, Luke doesn't have a teacher anymore so he could become a jedi.

Obi was suppose to live, but lucas descided to kill him off. Maybe thats why lucas made obi a ghost. So even it was a stand alone movie, people could assume that obi would teach luke as a ghost.

21. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    While it is designed to fit into the narrative and emotional fabric of the other pictures in the saga, "A New Hope" is perhaps the only "Star Wars" film to be more or less completely self-contained - in a sense, this was a necessity due to the fact that Lucas was unsure as to whether or not he would be able to proceed and complete the other two films in the trilogy. All five of the existing pictures can be enjoyed as delirious visual feasts which tease the senses with their cascading wonders, but the other films, particularly "Return of the Jedi" and the two existing prequels, contain events which rely on our familiarity with the other movies in order to attain a complete synthesis of emotional resonance. Each of the movies can be watched either seperately or as the part of the grand saga - such is the richness of Lucas' universe.

22. Snaggleass

Oct 6, 2004
    it was alone. How many here saw it in the drive-in back in the 70's?

23. jade_saber8000

jade_saber8000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 18, 2004
    Star Wars would've been screwed standing alone. ~gabs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.