main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Critics' reviews for Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Palpadious, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    This is like the opposite of the Batman v Superman/Justice League situation you described.

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Global vs local thinkers. I tend to be a global thinker. I look at each movie as a chapter in a larger picture that all need to connect. Some are able to look at every film individually for its flaws and shiny spots and isolate them. It's how different brains are wired.

Critics, on the other hand, (hopefully) are able to isolate movies and look at their flaws and shiny spots apart from the larger chapters they are part of.

3. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    North American viewers (which critics also are) are more attached to the characters and the SW universe in general, and may be more easily swayed by some things.

4. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I thought the issue for a lot of them WERE about the characters tho? That's why I'm confused at the split in opinions.

The funny thing about all of this is Empire was kinda panned by a lot of fans at the time too. It obviously grew to be loved in time. ( not saying this is panned because the reviews suggest otherwise )

5. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015

the problem that can arise with "global thinking" is you are always looking at a story and then imagining where it could go before you see the entire story holistically. I agree there is a lot of fun in doing that (and that is why forums like these exist) but it also causes what we have seen around here. People who build the story in their mind and are not able to set aside their preconceived notions, come can do this some can't. I have theories for Rey and other characters, but if it does not go the way I want I refuse to let that affect my enjoyment of the movie.

To me I want the 3 movies to work together as a whole because that is what made the OT so great. The OT is greater than the sum of its individual parts. Each movie synergizes with the others and that enhances each movie also on the individual basis.

I obviously would want 3 amazing movies that synergize perfectly(like the OT), but if I had to chose I would rather have 3 great movies that have a few pieces that don't flow, than 3 ok movies that flow together much better.

I do not believe we can really say for sure if the ST has good trilogy synergy until we see EP 9. Now I do agree we can make some deductions based on what we see in EP 7 and 8. But we wont know for sure until after 9.

6. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Again, one can make an argument for that. Even Mark Hamill said that he didn't think Luke would say and do some of the things he ended up doing. Others have different opinions and that's how it always works.

Darth Smurf and MS1 like this.
  7. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
  8. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    This was identified more like 18 years ago. :cool:

MS1 likes this.
  9. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Interesting, good to hear.

Darth-Seldon and Trikuza23 like this.
  10. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
  11. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    Ehrlich calls " it f'ing phenomenal."
    and other people trash it so hard that it feels like the movie personally abused them. It's hard to understand what the heck is going on. lol So weird how diverse opinions can be.

12. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/cole-smithey/movies

well we know we have a rotten review coming from this guy. He has panned Logan, Dunkirk, It, Baby Driver, and well just about any very well reviewed movie for the mass market this year.... at some point it becomes clear someone is a click baiter and they should be decertified.

13. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    currently on a 30 straight fresh streak. I like 10 or 11 more fresh in a row and it will tick up to 95%, and at this point 1 rotten review would not drop it to 93%

also it is 51% of TFAs total reviews 190-378. So it order to drop below 90 at this point it would have to get an 85% or lower from here on out.

here is the most recent review dropped

http://www.reviewexpress.com/review.php?rv=1847

5/5 from someone who says they don't typically like SW movies much but obviously loved this one. And she highlighted John Williams fantastic score.

Strongbow likes this.
  14. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I just think that people take this movie very personally. Rian tooks some risks with some characters. It'll work for many, but not for others.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  15. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    just saw it...mind blown...a lot to process...it's a VERY BOLD and ORIGINAL SW movie. Some will love it others will be be disappointed. i think i really loved but i have to watch it again soon. Very bold. Very interesting if not flawess. It s epic and emotionally powerful..

16. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Darth-Seldon likes this.
  17. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015

would you say you went into it with an open mind? or did you have a mental picture of what certain character should do and what should happen to them?

18. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I'm willing to bet open mind, but I'll anxiously await that response along with you.

19. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I should note a few things here.

1. One of the reasons why GL trusted Disney, and I think he still partly does, is because of the fact that Bob Iger the Chairman and CEO of the Walt Disney Company is a long time friend of his. Keep in mind Iger was actually one of the few that actually backed Lucus back when he was was President of ABC and George and Steven wanted to do the Young Indy series. He's the one that argued for it and to let them make it their way. So in regard to that aspect GL still probably has faith in the company.

2. Thomas O. Staggs, is the COO, and came on 2 years after the Sales. He's the one that has issue with younger characters and the 18 year old version of the mains isn't the first that he's been known to go after. There were large, very large, fights with a few other prominent directors and other production groups. So much so that he was pretty much asked to leave as of 2016.

Now something to keep in mind. TFA and TLJ were under his watch, which means that the new person in charge will be in charge of Episode 9, and they haven't named one yet. So basically right now there's no one over JJ's head. And if he wants to put more of George's vision into the story he can now with out trouble.

20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

I would guess that particular friendship has been in the deep freeze since about 2013? ;)

21. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    "...FOR THIS FACELESS CORPORATION THAT IS PRODUCING SOULLESS STAR WARS PRODUCTS ON...*sigh*...ON A HAIRLESS CONVEYOR BELT." -- Seether oh he Whines

Strongbow likes this.
  22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    As the old saying goes.....you cant satisfy all the people all of the time, and you cant satisfy anyones headcannon everytime. :p

23. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I went with an open mind. i wanted something fresh and challenging and that's what i got. Actually the most "contreversial" leaks are not the parts of the films that cpunts as flaws to me, on the contrary they are all really great inventive visual/narrative stuff. There a couple of things im not sure i liked, but just details and one or two scenes, i'm not even sure i didn't like them, it's just that it's a very particular star wars, as i said, hard to process. There's some irreverence but in a good way. It's really an epic pop corn movie done by a real "auteur" with a vision. You love or hate the choices but it's not some souless product. And beneath all the actions, a lot of depth, some thought-provoking stuff about life, war, death, heroism, legacy, memory, good and evil, destiny, connection....a lot of cool psychedelic moments too. The visuals are wonderful. The acting is top. It's not OT vs PT, it makes the whole SW universe of past trilogies look coherent. And as i said it's very very epic and emotional, somehow lyrical -almost LOTR-ish, it really put the OPERA in space opera. A shakespearan cosmic tragedy...with some pulp adventures and offbeat humour that can distabilze the viewer haha. There's some crazy humour here and there, with a nod or two to mel brooks....i have to watch it again to have a definite opinion but it's a real piece of cinema. As i said it still have some flaws...some deux machina and story convenience...and, well, it's SO dense, it's hard to know how you feel about it sometimes, if what you see is good or bad WTF. But i think it's its force. It's something to see, then make up your mind. Go with an open mind. The controversial stuff are actually great and the Rey/Kylo dynamics is epic. Mark Hamill is just oscar-worthy IMO. A beautiful ode to Luke Skywalker.

In the end....better than TFA and RO despite its flaws. The "pros" are so awesome that even the "cons" can't undo them or waste them, if you know what i mean.
    I don't know what i'll feel about this movie in a week, or a month or in 5 years. It's....i don't know....Rian Johnson made a monumental fresco. It tries things, not always succeeds(or maybe he does? have to watch it again) but always touches someting interesting.

Now those who want status quo in SW may return to the old EU..nothing for them here :) And SW is not just a RPG, "the force can do this or that", this character has "such level of strength" etc....it all works in an emotional and thematic environment that serves the story and its characters. It's not entitled to a set of rules.

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  25. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah but were you wined and/or dined beforehand?

It's important--it makes it easier for us to determine whether or not your thoughts are, in fact, your own.