main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Luke is definitely a grey Jedi. :3

DeanVantis likes this.
  3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I suppose this is old news but I only just learned that Daisy is related to Private Godfrey from Dad's Army !

4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    There is no dark, no light, there is just The Force!

5. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    can you embed tweets?

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    New trading card for Rey:
    [​IMG]

7. GG.exe

GG.exe Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2015
    I'm taking this from another forum I visit. Thought it interesting. (i.e., Rey is a Palpatine)

-------

"Oh and one thing I noticed. Rey's fighting style. Her "stabbing" moves vs Ren. Go back and watch Palpatine use a Lightsaber and see the similarities. Probably coincidental more than anything."

"I only just heard this theory the other day and started thinking about connections. Then it hit me. Think about the parallels between these two scenes and what is going through Luke's mind in TFA."

Lulu Mars likes this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    "Rey Palpatine" sounds pretty cool :cool:

I do wonder if Rey's accent comes from whoever she spent her first five years with or from spending most of her life dealing with Unkar Plutt on Jakku...

GG.exe likes this.
  9. FanFromNY

FanFromNY Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 28, 2016

The Rey wax figure seems so realistic. She will be displayed at the Madame Tussaud's in London along with Bb-8 beginning August and then later in Berlin.

10. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    cerealbox and iluvkoalas like this.
  11. leopardhk47

leopardhk47 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 23, 2016

At the the end of the day, she beat Kylo Ren both mentally and physically to the point where she could've killed him if the planet didn't split between them. Mentally and physically, she dominated him. The way I see it, there's two broad options for Rey and the Force: either she's never used the Force before in her entire life and yet she was able to not only resist the mental assault of Kylo but also turn it against him OR she hasn't actively used the Force in over a decade and she still managed to beat a man who meditates on and uses the Force in some capacity every day of his life for decades.

How is Kylo going to be a threatening villain after losing to the protagonist TWICE in the first movie? People say that Kylo will come back stronger in the second movie and thus threaten Rey more than he did the first time. Well, given how Rey beat him when she was untrained, what happens after she gets trained? Kylo and (to a larger extent) Snoke, are supposed to be the mountains that Rey has to surpass in order to be the hero but she's already thrashed one of them in the first movie and Snoke already respects Rey in a way that Sidious never did for Luke. I just don't see this particular aspect working as a satisfying story, imagine if Luke had beaten Vader so handily in ANH? Would the same level of tension and dread be there in ESB when Vader toys with Luke? Would the iconic line "The Force is strong with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet." have nearly as much weight? I feel like people got so caught up in the "girl power" aspect of Rey beating Kylo that they haven't really stopped to think about what type of villain Kylo has now become.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Yeah, you're right. The same thing happened with the original trilogy, I presume. I saw ANH in which there's this imposing bad guy Darth Vader, but by the end of the film he has been put in his place by some old guy called Tarkin, only beat the old man Kenobi when Kenobi stopped trying, and then had his fighter shot out if the sky by a smuggler.
    I never bothered with Empire Strikes Back because for me there was no way that Darth Vader could be taken seriously as a villain after that.

FanFromNY and Esperanza_Nueva like this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Guys, let's knock off the belittling people who have issues with the Rey powers situation. It's clear that this is a point of contention for many (including myself) as a possible narrative problem. We'll have to wait and see whether those concerns are well founded or not, but someone isn't wrong simply for having them. If it works for you, fine, but it doesn't have to for everyone.

14. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    It's because this is Abrams's and Kasdan's intention: Kylo is intentionally a villain in progress. Abrams called him the anti-Luke. Luke started out wanting to follow Anakin's example, but being a bit immature and whiny about it. Kylo, ironically, is doing the same, in wanting to emulate Anakin's dark side example. Rey's awakening and Kylo's wound leveled the field for their fight, but in an even fight Kylo would seem to be stronger than Rey (see: their encounter on Takodana), and that's even without proper dark side training.

Also, suggesting that fans are happy with the outcome of Rey and Kylo's duel because we're blinded by "girl power" is itself belittling. Why can't it be that people you disagree with like something for their own legitimate reasons. Why can't we just be cheering for the hero winning? Why does it have to be a gender thing?

I think this - trotting out gender politics to explain Rey/TFA/ST has such massive popularity - is such a tiresome thing to do. If dissenters want engagement, debate, discussion, you first need to show that you respect that others have come to their own reasoned, valid reasons for liking this film.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Imagine the Twitter snark that would be directed at Vader's "spinning TIE fighter" moment after Han shoots him. What a weak villain!

16. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    "How are we expected to take a villain seriously in the next movie if their final line of this movie is stupidly yelling What!!!??"

17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    That is the annoying thing, essentially. If you've got no hang ups about gender and you've discerned certain meanings or formed impressions solely and sponteaneously on their own terms, without regard for supposed political concerns, what you are doing is somehow aplogising for all the issues that never spontaneously concerned you in the first place.

18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    And this is exactly the kind of belittling comment I was referring to. Again, KNOCK. IT. OFF. Disagreement on this issue is going to continue, and both sides have made their arguments ad nauseam. If you can't post productively, don't post.

Last warning.

Immortiss and CT-867-5309 like this.
  19. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Apologies, but I didn't mean to belittle anyone. I was simply engaging in fun speculation about what some comments in the fandom twitterverse might be like if ANH was released today. But I'll refrain from that sort of thing if it's perceived as insulting.

20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    "Don't be afraid - I feel it too" Kylo to Rey...but what is he referring to? Anyone?

21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  22. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016

Without belittling anyone, I think the kind of sentiment that is being discussed here cannot be described as wating and seeing. I think that makes it fair comment to challenge any premature conclusions. Particularly when they perhaps represent a double standard. Worry is not a productive impulse.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Many have issues with the Rey's use of the force in TFA. That's been made clear. Some are waiting to see if the later films provide a context that will make it work better for them. There's been a bit too much of a dismissive attitude towards people who are making decent arguments about their concerns. All of the hate that's been thrown at TFA has made it's defenders a bit too harsh and kneejerk towards criticism, at times.

Immortiss likes this.
  24. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    If my post displayed a dismissive attitude to anyone with issues , it's not intentional. I think the sentiments that are being aped in some of these posts show that they are not meant to dismiss the issues that many may have. I think that many of the issues do surround the willingness to defer gratification (with respect to the continually evolving concept of the force and its relationship with individiuals and institutions that are influenced by it, and attempt to influence it). The sentiments that are being aped, I think, don't even consider deferred gratification as a valid attitude for the movies to expect from the audience.

25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Taken from Wikipedia, as an example of how it is very reasonable for Rey to tap into the Force without having formal training.

David Bowie, singer, musician, multi-instrumentalist, actor, and painter, has never trained in any of the mentioned fields and only received a few singing lessons in the 1960s (as reported by his former manager, Ken Pitt). As a teenager he took some lessons on saxophone by Ronnie Ross. All other instruments (including piano, keyboards/synths, electric/acoustic guitar, harmonica, koto, limited bass, and percussion), he taught himself. His paintings and sculptures were created (and exhibited) without any formal art school training. He took a few lessons in movement and dance with the Lindsey Kemps Dance company but trained himself in mime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.