main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    General consensus is that we want her to keep her British accent.

CairnsTony likes this.
  2. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

If someone, no, when someone spoofs The Force Awakens, I wonder if they'll pull a Mel Brooks Robin Hood: "Unlike some certain other Skywalkers or Solos, I can speak with a British accent." :p

Vohnkar and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Don't worry, Daisy isn't going to die in TFA. She's signed on for three movies, but even if she hadn't, the notion that they'd kill off the main female protagonist in the first movie is an absurd one. :)

4. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    So she is killed, then kidnapped, then have a conversation with the 'monster' of not becoming as powerful as Vader, then gets hugged by said monster from behind?

5. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    Honestly, I simply do not see Rey dying in this film, even if it were only temporary. From the sound of things, it seems like she's merely being captured, because there seem to be some pretty big scenes for her that occur after this initial bout. I suppose those scenes could occur in whatever the heck the afterlife is in Star Wars, but it seems to be something that goes on within the mortal plains. Killing Rey off and then finding a way to resurrect her just adds another complication to the narrative that seems to be going on. It's more streamlined if she's merely wounded and captured, thus requiring for her to either escape or be rescued in order to move the plot forward.

turnip white and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  6. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    And the monster is like the the Vader wannabe but also the master who sits on the throne, and Luke disguised as an evil cyborg, one is played by Driver and voiced by Serkis and the other is played by Serkis, so Serkis is like speaking to Driver but also to himself... or something, so Rey fights him but also like both of them, to save Luke... and we basically have ourselves a Shyamalan movie.

CairnsTony likes this.
  7. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Yep, that's about it. 8-}

DARTH_MUPPET and Darth Malgus like this.
  8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I know I'm late coming into this...but:

Also, Star Trek was meant as a partial continuity reboot. This is not. It is a continuation of episodes in the saga, following a specific pre-existing storyline.

9. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014

A simple answer would be that her death is very brief, having her only be dead for one scene at the end of the movie. Perhaps the choice to revive her is one of the climatic events in the mysterious Act 3.

10. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Not really, because it sounds like the scene in which she would "die" sets up those future scene(s) that we've heard about (i.e. the Phantom of the Opera-esque moment). Moreover, if she died, it sounds like Kylo Ren steals her body away in that scene too. But why do that? Especially if he's the one who killed her, only to bring her back to life just a scene or two later? What's the whole point?

To me, killing her off just seems like a big chunk of completely unnecessary drama being injected for the sake of there being more drama, regardless of whether or not she's revived before the end of the film.

11. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Well first Major Studios always lockup actors for multiple picture deals when they no sequels are coming. However, all that means is the Studio has the right to call the actor back and the actor must answer the call.

That said in no way do I think the Female Lead is going to get whacked for good in the 1st Movie.

12. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    This is how they got Sean Connery to do Highlander 2.

13. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The guy who saw the Forest duel said that she was killed or seriously injured. He also said that Kylo kidnaps her.

We do not know the order of the scenes at the end of the movie, people are just speculating on the concept art.

It could be that Kylo kidnaps her when she is alone (after she has been to see Luke perhaps?). Finn could then rescue her from the castle and they escape through the forest. Kylo catches up and then the duel takes place. Rey is killed (force lightning) and Finn fights off Kylo.

Luke and Han turn up and Han begs Luke to save his daughter. Luke says he can't as it means using the Dark Side (Plageus) and it requires another to give their life in exchange (the Dark Side always has consequences). Han forces Luke to do it, perhaps by Han attacking Luke. Han dies, Rey is resurrected, Luke unleashes the Dark Side which activates/frees the Sith weapon.

14. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I think there is a big difference between injured and killed. Doubt she'll be killed.

Some of the OT cast has said this one feels more like ESB than ANH, what if the maiming of the Skywalker comes earlier in the ST than in the past trilogy? Rey could just be up for a robotic arm like her assumed grandfather and Uncle before her.

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
  15. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I don´t see them cutting the girl. Some might calm me sexist but that is how I view it. Kind of too early to cut heroes on this film, as we know what happens more or less at the end and that is dark enough IMO. But if I had to bet, I´d say Finn is the likely candidate to be mutilated. I am expecting a rehash of AOTC duel on this movie. First Daisy tries to fight Kylo Ren and is quickly defeated (like Obi-Wan with Dooku), then John joins and fights a bit longer, but ends up defeated too (maybe even with his hand mutilated) and then the master comes and saves the day (this time it probably comes later on the movie instead of right after). Luke defeats Kylo Ren and makes him in need to wear Vader´s suit.

16. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    What I said;

Killed... and resurrected.

17. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Sure, fair enough. But I still don't see that happening, if only for the simple reason that it'd be too repetitive. Rey somehow gets kidnapped, only to then be killed immediately after she escapes? I'll reiterate my previous point: that concept just doesn't seem very streamlined to me. It's a bit too much. While the idea of bringing her back at the end does remind me enough of something that JJ might do, the whole structure of this scenario doesn't seem to fit him.

Moreover, not only is it repetitive, this whole scenario really screams "Damsel in Distress" to me. They could show her resisting and having some bite to her, sure, like Leia. But this scenario seems far worse to me than what happened to either Leia or Padme in their respective films. Considering how it seems like Rey is probably going to be the co-lead of this series, I just don't see her being delegated to that sort of role.

nightangel and soul8luos like this.
  18. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Not to mention not much point of kidnapping someone and then immediately kill them right after an escape. Unless he just wanted info I guess.

19. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Repetitive? What do you mean by that?

And Damsel in distress? Was Anakin a little boy when Dooku kicked his butt? Was Luke a child when Vader bested him on Bespin?

We don't know how she gets kidnapped.... she might take out a whole squad of Chrometroopers before being beat down. She may go to the castle willingly due to some plot point that we are unaware of.

As for the duel itself we don't know how proficient any of Kylo, Rey and Finn are in the Force but it seems likely that Kylo gets the better of Rey. It might be that Rey is anything but a wuss, she just needs to know how to counter the dark side.

20. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    This is ACT II isn´t it? I think we know a lot about it, like this fight, but we don´t know the exact order of how things work out.

21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Leads needing to be rescued is a staple to Star Wars. So, it would seem if she is a co-lead: she would probably need to be rescued at some point. I'm sure Finn/Poe have to be rescued as well. In fact, some rumors suggest just that point.

It seems to me that if its applied to a lady, its automatically a "Damsel in Distress" based on some vague poor reasoning because of past precedent.

I suggest we wait to see how its executed before passing judgement.

Btw, all a "damsel in distress" is a story mechanic that can essentially apply to anyone. Its not an inherently good or bad thing. Although, it can be executed both well or poorly.

However, people throw around the term lazily like it inherently means some of "woman on train track" keystone cop nonsense.

22. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013
    The beats of her getting the short end of the stick. This isn't like TESB, where all the good guys are losing turn after turn during the middle chapter of the story. This is a one-two punch towards one character in the final act of the first film. She gets kidnapped, potentially either requiring her to be saved (unless she somehow escapes herself), only to then be killed and then have to be saved once again?

Or, consider this: she gets kidnapped after being knocked out/wounded in that snow duel with Kylo. That's it. Short, sweet and to the point. Finn, Han and maybe Luke all go in to help Rey escape from that mysterious castle place and then something follows that, which acts as the climax of the film. It's probably something we know nothing about yet.

Oh sure, no question about that. That's perfectly fine. The issue is how often it happens and how closely it'd happen to one another. It's repetitive because it's literally two events that'd likely result in her being rescued rather than her saving herself (one of which most certainly requires the aid of an outside party) happening one after another.

23. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    I don't recall jimjamjim ever saying that Kylo kidnaps Daisy's character. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my memory is that jimjamjim only described a few things: that Daisy is playing Han and Leia's daughter, an accurate description of Kylo's lightsaber (before any spoiler pics were released), some descriptions of the costumes, and a sketchy description of the duel in the forest, complete with Rey lying crumpled on the ground, either dead or severely injured.

Absolutely. There is still way too much we don't know. For all we know, some of the scenes depicted in the concept art were from earlier drafts of the script and didn't even get filmed. We also don't know at what point in the story the forest duel takes place. In the latter part of the film, sure, but how late?

That scenario could work.

As for me, I do believe what we heard from jimjamjim is true, so at the very least Rey will be badly injured. I think it's possible she could die and be resurrected somehow (the Kaiburr crystal, Luke using the dark side, or injecting her with Khan's magic blood ;) ) but I agree there is absolutely no way they would kill off Rey for good in Episode VII.

Any way you look at it, Rey looks to be incapacitated for a little while. As for the rest: [face_dunno]

24. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Wrong terminology on my part, but more or less the same thing;

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/daisy-ridley-rey-in-episode-vii.50019976/page-217#post-51831565

25. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.