main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    hey from what I've seen sources aren't always right and that includes majority of people with sources even reliable ones getting things wrong so because some stories were wrong than they are all wrong.o_O Either way I'm done debating the credibility of sources since that leads nowhere and is a pretty boring topic of discussion. As I said nothing is changed were are still in the same place in terms of who Rey is. Again I explained the beefed up Hamill, either way whether you think it's real or not it's a rumor that's the only thing that matters since none of us can know if it's authentic or not.:)

2. Cellblocker1138

Cellblocker1138 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 26, 2015
    [face_dunno] I just can't even rationally see, and really, I'm doing my best here--I'm giving Rey Skywalker the fairest possible hearing I can--how Rey can be Luke's based on MSW when nothing in MSW outline addresses mom in any way shape or form. Just going off MSW, not even touching the other rumors, all I can see is Solo or Random. :confused:

If the latest "Parents" rumor is true, we know both seem relevant to Rey's situation and given how she is rumored to be written with a big family hole she needs to fill for her arc...I dunno...we know she has at least one scene with a woman old enough to be her mom...and it ain't Mrs. Skywalker...

Myself656 likes this.
  3. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I don't think anything MSW has ever posted ever discredited her possibly being Lukes or unrelated or even fully Solo. Again just because the mom isn't addressed doesn't make her unlikely to be Luke, the fixation on the mother is strange to me just seems like a way to eliminate the Skywalker option as if she has to appear in VII she can't appear in VIII-IX assuming she isn't dead and if she's dead than pretty sure that will have a big effect on both Luke and Rey. Or that the mother couldn't appears in VII but we never see her face.

the parents thing even if accurate isn't 100% guarantee that it's both parents to begin with and I've seen plenty of speculation with both Luke and Mrs. putting Rey on Jakku either way, nothing says the hole has to be filled with both parents or that it has to be the mother.

how does it even fit Solo, so H/L put her on Jakku and leave her there for 10+ years and then what she lives the life of a slave?? That honestly fits better unrelated or a kid who's father is MIA and her mother is dead or MIA or prisoner. And yes I know about the months old speculation about the Academy being on Jakku which I don't really buy.:p

4. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Seeing as Rey probably does not really remember who her parents are until the vision brings everything back to her it's hardly likely that she will have any heart-to-heart conversations with anyone about it. If my theory is right that Han left before Rey was born then any revelations as to Rey's parentage won't happen until after the Starkiller base has been turned into rubble. Even then it's only a couple of scenes that they have to skirt around the issue before the big tearjerker ending when she meets Dad.

starocean90 likes this.
  5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I still don't see anything that rules Rey Skywalker or Rey Solo out. And simply am highly skeptical that she's Rey Random.

By the way, my brother and sister's children don't look much like them at all. So the idea that Han would magically sense who Rey is is really illogical.

6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Dra--- Sorry, we are this close now, no fence-sitting allowed :p

7. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    after Han says "Chewie we're home."
    he's like "I sense something, a presence I've not felt since...".:p

8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    am i the only one who doesn't care if anyone is related to anyone else?

Big Boss and carlcockatoo like this.
  9. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    like, do not care as in, as long as shes a cool character, you dont care who shes related to? no. me too. however if i was to choose, id go the twins solo dynamic. but its a no biggie for me, as are a lot of the things being discussed and argued by fans. as long as we get a good movie, a sweet trilogy, that captures the star wars feel from both previous trilogies, im happy. im a big fan of the material, both PT and OT, the games etc, so all i can hope for is a good ST. reason why i lean to preferring Solo Rey is the story that can accompany that decision. can u imagine the message boards like this when we find out?

EDIT: not that i mean there is only bad stories that can go with Luke being daddy skywalker or Rey Random.. for sure there can be interesting ideas and stories that come from those. just a slight preference is all and more imagery provoked from the idea that Han and Leia are papa and mama.

10. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I lean in the direction of wanting Rey Solo, but Rey Skywalker is fine too.

I tend to see Luke as unmarried.

11. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

Your brother and sister have children?! Count the toes!

12. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I'm pretty much of the same mind set; but then I've been convinced (not out of a desperate need to see it or anything) for over a year now that we are getting Solo siblings in this movie and that Luke has dedicated his life to resurrecting the Jedi Order. I'd even be inclined to think that Luke would have a pretty good idea of how Anakin fell to the Dark Side and being the 'last Jedi' would not want to risk similar failings; too much is at stake, and there are other ways of recreating the Order.

What I think might be an interesting little side plot would be an exchange down the line (maybe in VIII) between Luke and Leia about the fact she had kids and he didn't; and how that turned out... ;)

Myself656, Dra--- and Claire1976 like this.
  13. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Or maybe we get a 'The Thorn Birds' scenario (one of my fave tv series of the 80's) with Luke having someone he loves, but decides to dedicate his life to the Jedi philosophy. To find out later that he has a kid. :p

starocean90 and Dean Vantis like this.
  14. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Solo siblings? Whats convinced you of that?..

15. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    An awful lot of things, too numerous to mention; plus I'm about to go to bed. ;)

Jcuk likes this.
  16. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

But it already seems pretty clear that Luke hasn't dedicated his life to resurrecting the Jedi Order. He's been in exile ever since his academy was slaughtered, after all. Even if he has been spending all this time rebuilding the Order, I think it's pretty clear that he'd make it very differently than the one we saw in the PT. This isn't just based around my personal disliking of the PT Jedi Order; it's more a reflection of Luke's own character.

Luke grew and matured during the OT, but he was very often in conflict with the specific ideals that Yoda and Obi-Wan tried to teach him and their methods for going about it. In fact, his ability to save everyone in RotJ was only because he stuck to his own morals and judgement, rather than give into what Yoda and Obi-Wan encouraged him to do (dispassionately kill his own father for the sake of "the greater good") or what Palpatine and Vader tried to get him to do (give into the Dark Side). Instead he told both sides to go screw themselves and opted to reach out and redeem his father through the one thing that PT Jedi were against: Love or "attachment."

Luke's actions after the massacre remain unknown to us, but I don't think he kept trying to rebuild the Order again. My guess is that he's been in self-imposed exile and waiting to let the Force guide him in his next actions (which finally happens with the arrival of Rey).

coxie0520, taramidala and starocean90 like this.
  17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I find it funny majority of the female lead rumors were all saying the female lead is a Solo back in 2013 with plenty of them saying that she will face her brother in VII just like Jaina/Jacen. Now in 2015, if Rey is a Solo we are getting that exactly but these rumors appeared way before JJ even finished the script and I think some of them even before JJ got into the writing or not too far off.[face_thinking]

Wildcatbarry and nightangel like this.
  18. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    I tend to agree. I don't think Luke not having a wife and kids will have anything with the jedi order though. I think in books, comics, an animated series, etc we will that Luke did have relationships. But in the end he chose "his kids" - the future jedi as his focus.

These children were left to his care. People mention that Poe is Leia's surrogate son and Finn is Han's, but what about Luke and his students? Kids who are left to his care for years on end. I imagine they were like children to Luke and he their father. When the massacre occurred, it was like his own children were killed. No wonder he left. It had to be devastating. While I also think he is aware that he is wanted or may be the last jedi. That choice alone shows that he is putting his role as jedi before anything else. I don't think Luke does it out of self-preservation (afraid of death) because that wouldn't fit Luke's motivations, but to preserve the jedi in case there are others out there who can be taught. And the Ren and the first order may need/want his force abilities.

Myself656 and Dra--- like this.
  19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    hey if Luke has no kids than pretty sure he'll be the father Rey never had (father figure as well as uncle)since she doesn't really spend much time with Han and since she will separate from Leia, Luke might be the only prominent familial relationship she gets from one of the OT3 whether daughter or niece.:)

20. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

This is certainly true. However, if the case you're making is that Luke might have a surrogate child, I'd say the best bet there is Rey. More specifically, Rey Random. Rey has a connection to Luke's academy, she's very much a reflection of both him and his own father and she's also the one who gets first dibs at meeting him at the end of the film. A uncle-niece relationship wouldn't be as convincing in that regard, especially since her would-be mother is still alive and active in the universe.

21. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I am not sure why Luke's Order should be very different to the PT one. To me that has always sound like an excuse to give Luke a child. Maybe they do that in the films, but I would still find it an excuse to give him offspring. Not that it matters too much as both Orders seem to end pretty much in the same way.

At the end of the day I think both sides will have to accept part of what the others say. I get the point of those saying Luke should dedicate to rebuild the Order and not have a child. But I bet those saying this would find an excuse about how Rey (who eventually will be on Luke's position at the end of Jedi) should have a child.

Luke having a child matters very little IMO. His Order ended up wiped out as the previous one. His actions made her daughter have a miserable life and obligate her to fix what he screwed.

Both sides have pros and cons.

Solo-Skywalker likes this.
  22. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    That may well be true. Obi-Wan was more of a father to Luke than Anakin. However, that didn't lessen Luke's brief moment with Anakin at the end of ROTJ which I believe there will be a Rey - Han moment that mirrors that. Even so, Rey will be spending more time with her father than Luke ever did, yet we know the influence Luke's father had over him whether fully present or not and likely influenced him going forward after ROTJ.

23. Luke_Skywalker_1

Luke_Skywalker_1 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 2, 2015

But what would the overarching them be there between Luke and Leia- never have offspring as children and marriage are the source of evil? Not exactly Mickey Mouse-approved.

Also, part of Anakin's fall was due to the "narrow, dogmatic view of the jedi " (As Sheev so eloquently put it) who became too tight-laced in their insistence on detachment and abhorrence of emotion. Many people think that they mishandled Anakin's unique position as a result, and that Luke represented a new type of Jedi who was more balanced between his selflessness and the love that he had for his friends.

24. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

I think that's because people immediately assumed that the new trilogy would take a lot of influence from the EU, if not outright adapt certain stories from it. The Extended Universe was a massive lore that lasted about twenty years- its influence on fans isn't going away just yet.

25. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I still prefer that Luke has a kid, because of my wish for a father/daughter relationship. I know this is my personal wish and I cannot see an uncle/niece unpersonal thing as the same. Yes, that's just my problem. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.