main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dark Journey: Worst NJO book yet!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by neimoidian_85, Feb 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Anyone agree?

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    No, RUIN is still BY FAR the worst NJO book.

3. neimoidian_85

Dec 30, 1999
    Ruin was always one of my favorites.....if Ruin would have been the 10th book in the series I probably would have hated it. These retarded sad endings aren't even entertaining anymore.

4. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    If the good guys won in the middle of the series, what would the rest of the series be about?

wk

5. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    DJ SPOILERS

Oh yeah, Jaina slowly coming back to the light really is a sad ending, isnt it?

END

Ruin worst, DJ best :)

6. Luxor-Three

Luxor-Three Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2001
    Agreed, Dark Journey has been the worst!

7. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Well, I personally haven't been too disappointed with any of the NJO books so far, though I disliked the AoC duology somewhat. I actually enjoyed DJ, though it's not quite my pick for best NJO book.

Hey, to each his or her own. :)

8. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I read the Dark Tide books first cos Vector Prime was in Hardback. When it came out in Paperback I was excited cos of the hype it got and Chewie's death.

IT WAS UTTER CRAP!!!!

DJ is a good book, but not my favourite.

9. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Easy there, IJ, Vector Prime is my second fave book in the NJO, and only recently lost the top spot to Star by Star. As for Drak Journey being the worst in the NJO, I'd have to say no. For me it would be Conquest.

10. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    "Dark Journey: Worst NJO book yet!"

Agreed.

11. neimoidian_85

Dec 30, 1999
    Oh wow, Jaina was in the Dark Side for like 50 pages! Neato! Face it, the ending was retarded, just like the prior 10 endings and the 20 endings to come.

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I enjoyed DJ, but it certainly wasn't as good as SBS or Rebirth. Maybe because Luke and co. had little to do with DJ's plot. Jaina got old after a while, but over all, it was okay.

13. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

This thread is simply crude. And not because I disagree with you that DJ may be a bad read. I nomminate this as the worst thread about the NJO yet...

14. LRTakmen44

LRTakmen44 Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2002
    Dark Journey has the least literary value of any SW book, I will agree with that!

15. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Oh wow, Jaina was in the Dark Side for like 50 pages! Neato! Face it, the ending was retarded, just like the prior 10 endings and the 20 endings to come.

Still not given any real reasons to why DJ is bad :)

16. Crow_T_Fett

Crow_T_Fett Jedi Master star 1

Feb 6, 2002
    I'd currently rank DJ as my third-fav in the NJO, behind only SbS and VP. In fact, these three are probably my favorite SW novels, period.

I admit that the main reason I loved DJ was because Jaina has become my favorite character. I thought it was about time she got the kind of "screen time" that Anakin and Jacen had been getting.

I can certainly understand, however, why people who don't find Jaina as interesting as I do would be less-than-impressed with this book. Hopefully the next two or three will have more of what you're looking for.

17. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Vector Prime ain't "utter crap." Best of the NJO, I think. Its always back and forth.

Awesome book, okay book, bad book, awesome book, okay book, okay book, awesome book, awesome book, okay book, dunno, etc. Yeah, those are my thoughts on each book in order. If you understand all that, stuff your face with truffles- cause you're insane.

And thats about it.

18. Darth Thrawn

Darth Thrawn Jedi Master star 3

Mar 18, 2000
    NJO books so far have come in three catagories, "Good", "average", "worth reading for the over story" (for me anyway)

Good
    Ruin
    Heros Trial
    Rebirth
    Star By Star

Average
    Vector Prime
    Dark Tide
    Balance Point
    Conquest

Worth reading....
    Jedi Eclipse
    Dark Journey

While I dont think the last two were that bad they just didnt do anything for me.

Heroes Trial was one of my favourites, But JE just didnt live up to it. I didnt have the impact HT did. If it came before I miht have enjoyed it more.

Again after SbS, I expected Jaina start her path as a full Dark Jedi, and her to totally fall into it by the end of the book, with her redemption in Destinies way. As it happened her Dark Journey was more like a Dark Walk Around The Corner. Seeing Baron Fel was nice tho, as was seeing Bombassa in Jedi Eclipse

19. Miss_Jaina

Miss_Jaina Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    I liked DJ. I think that Conquest is the stupiedst book in creation and should have never been written.

~Miss Jaina

20. neimoidian_85

Dec 30, 1999
    Conquest and Dark Journey I hate the most.

Vector Prime is, by far the best.

21. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Yeah, Hero's Trial is still my favorite as well.

DJ serves a "fill-in-the-gap" purpose for me also.

22. 181st Fighter Wing

181st Fighter Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2000
    I disliked Vector Prime the most, but Dark Journey is down there near the bottom along with Jedi Eclipse.

23. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    Okay, DJ was by far not the worst book for me.

That spot belongs to Balance Point. I just couldn't get into the story and it made Jacen seem like such a little pansy, which he is most definately not.

Also, it drove a sort of wedge between mother and daughter in the case of Leia and Jaina, respectively.

Dark Journey was by far not the best book in the NJO either. That belongs to SBS. Great story, great writing and wonderful character developement all around, even if they did kill Anakin(don't know if it's still a spoiler).

Dark Journey, to me, brought up interesting points, like the advancement of the Jaina-Jag thing and the Jaina-Zekk thing. For the most part, it serves as an intermediary book, but a well done one for what it covered.

24. CADNO_FOX

CADNO_FOX Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2002
    I believe this book was just a way to turn the tide of the war, so far the Vong have been unstoppable but the research that Lowie and Jaina did will turn the tide a little. Dont get me wrong i liked the book but then i like most of teh NJO so far :)

25. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    i don't think DJ is the worse NJO so far. the only thing i found disappointing about DJ was that jaina wasn't evil enough for me and she turned back to the light side in the end. I WANT DARK JAINA!!! i did thought it was really nicely written. though not quite as well written as SBS... the again i don't think there can be a book written better then SBS. SBS even beat out my previous favorite book, burnt offerings by laurell k hamilton

~NiKe SKyLaRK~
    WoRSHiPeR oF DaRK JaiNa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.