main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Dark Side of the Force in EP VII...Redemption???

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Saurion-Fett, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I had the exact same idea/thought/possibility, but never wrote it down.;)

jedinightwing and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't know if a living redemption from the Dark Side would be one swift act like Anakin's. Part of what redeemed him was his willingness to sacrifice his life. I think if it was possible, it would be more like a struggle with constant temptation, like the Star Wars equivalent of "The Woodsman" without the creepy pedophile undertones. It would not be a character who is readily accepted in society, and probably be heavily monitored by society's gatekeepers for the rest of his or her life.

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yes.

Yoda said "forever will it dominate your destiny." He didn't say "forever will you be evil." The best comparison I can think of is the analogy of being a drug addict. No one ever refers to themselves as a "former" addict; they refer to themselves as "recovering" addicts. They always have to be on guard against slipping -either quickly or slowly- back into their old habits. That is what I feel is meant by having one's destiny dominated.

4. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I thought about the drug addict side but it always seemed such a small price to pay for so much power. I can see the parallels and don't entirely disagree.

If the villain is a Skywalker / Solo would you prefer a redemption or an Isolation type containment or just death. having to kill your Son Daughter could be quite the moment on screen.

5. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I really like this analogy. I work with addicts and see this all the time. Even those who've been clean for years always have that temptation.

Revanfan1, starocean90 and TK327 like this.
  6. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I think this is happening with Boyega and Driver. The fromer starts as an imperial and ends up as a Rebel, and the contrary for the latter.

Dra--- and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

i disagree. yes it should not be every other sith getting redeemed, it needs to be fairly rare, but i would like to see Luke redeem more during his time, so he could be considered the redeemer.

8. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, but the Saga needs to be as diverse as possible./

We've had a redemption story.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So? We've also had plenty of villains who died evil. Maul, Dooku, Palpatine...don't see the big deal.

10. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, as I said earlier - maybe there is a third option. However, a villain finding salvation is something special. Twice in the franchise is repetitive - a villain dying evil is the way things are. It is isn't the same.

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I disagree that finding salvation should be "something special." It should always be an option...just not one that everybody takes, obviously. Why is it so difficult to believe that two villains would decide that they don't want to continue following the dark side? [face_dunno]

12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Because the story should be creative and inventive. And as diverse as possible. And redemption is special.

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, I don't think the main villain will be redeemed. But maybe the villain in VII will be.

14. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

What makes you think there is a main villain and a villain in Episode VII?

EDIT: Just got the house to myself - time to overdose on horror movies on Netflix;)

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Just speculation. :p

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  16. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    It depends on the bond the dark side user has with the redeemer. Would Vader have turned back to the light if it was anybody other than Luke/Leia? After a lifetime of killing and UNLIMITED POWAAAAA? Probably not.

17. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    How about fundamental benefits to using the Dark Side?

Palpatine actually makes a rather interesting point to Anakin about the Force. He basically said one should have a larger view of the Force, not the narrow, dogmatic ways of the Jedi.

But I agree with no more redemption stories.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  18. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i think redemption should be a theme in Star Wars, not a one time event. Not to be contrived, but it does need to happen now and then. To me this is central to Star Wars. Now i am not suggesting that major novels, or series should be devoted to a redemptive storyline, no just an occasional redemption in characters as a side note

19. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    What about a redemption story that fails?

Dra--- likes this.
  20. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, but it shouldn't happen in this new trilogy - right after the greatest redemption story.

I suggested such earlier - someone tries to bring the villain back to the light or the villain has a crisis of conscience but it all goes wrong and makes him worse.

JediMatteus likes this.
  21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    As long as it's not Luke

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  22. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    I am not so sure that Luke is bad, but if he is, expect that he is way gone... I do not think we'll see a rehash of Anakin's life as we have seen that already...

23. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The only alternative is to have the villain survive.

24. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

We've already had a trilogy that that had that :)

25. DidIAskWhatWasCanon

DidIAskWhatWasCanon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2014
    Evil the Cat?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.