main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Darkness #2

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Bria, Aug 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Did anybody else pick it up?

I got it tonight and will report in on it tomorrow. :)

~*~Bria

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Surprise, surprise...It hasn't gotten to TFAW from DHC yet. I'm heading to college next week, hopefully there will be a conveniently close comic shop so I can stop ordering online.

3. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Looking forward to everyone's thoughts on the comic . . .

4. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    The art was incredible. Not a whole lot happened in this issue, besides the heroes meeting a new friend, but great art.

Is it just me, or is Vs quickly becoming the most fleshed out Jedi besides Obi Wan and Qui Gon. Hope we learn more about him as the story progresses.

John Ostrander and Jan Duresema! Any chance we;ll ever see a pre-memory loss Qinlon Vos story?

5. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    this really was some incredible art

this is turning out to be good story so far it almost makes up for Aurra Sing

6. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    At first I was disappointed because I finished it so quickly. Far too short, I thought. Then I realized that in turning a page I had skipped half the comic (I was half asleep at the time). :p When I went back and read what I had skipped, I really liked it. :)

The art is outstanding and the cover is amazing. One of my favorite SW comic covers of all. :D

I really liked how the story progresse, i.e. the glimpse we saw into Vos' past. Fascinating... and sad. :(

I am also intrigued with his former padawan..

~*~Bria

7. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    While the pace does pick up in this ish, I don't mind it one bit. The one thing I do mind is having to wait another month for the next installment! :D

The look into Vos's past was great! I love the fact that they are giving Vos more depth and width. And the whole Sheyf and Guardian issues have become more clear for me.

But I digress, on to the stuff I REALLY liked!

1) The Tower of First Knowledge!

Ever since Inside the Worlds of Star Wars - Episode One came out and said, "...the Council of First Knowledge advises on matters requiring the ancient wisdom of past Jedi..." I've been wondering just what the heck that meant.

Now we see hovering holocrons (that sounds like a Lil' Orhpan Annie interjection, doesn't it?) and the "caretaker", Astal Vilbum. Besides all the "HOOOM"ing, this Jedi seems pretty cool!

SIDE NOTE:I love it when they take aliens from the first three films (Vilbum is a carbon copy of Hermi Odle, the Baragwin seen in Jabba's Palace in RotJ) and make them Jedi (except for Twi'leks, there are plenty Twi'lek Jedi in the EU).

Plus, this guy/gurl/whutever seems to know a whole lot (only some of which pertains to this series).

2) Master Zao!

Coming into the series I had my reservations about him, but he seems to embody many of the things I would love about being a Jedi (if I were a Jedi, that is. *breaks into song* Oh! I wish I were a Old Republic Jedi, for that is what I truly wish to be... EVERYONE! :D ). And while the blindness thing has been done before, for the first time it's being done right, IMO. Tahl from the Jedi Apprentice books seems to reject her blindness in a very un-Jedi-like way and although Shoaneb Culu from the Tales of the Jedi comics was born blind (and perhaps so was Zao), she seemed to be more of a "mystic" than a Jedi Knight. Anyway, from his Zen nature ("I am but a leaf blown by the winds of the Force." - GREAT STUFF!) to his lightstaff (Man I love the versatility of the light-bladed weapon!), this guy rocks!

3) Aayla Secura and Volfe Karkko!

The first issue says "some weeks pass" between her meeting with Karkko (whose name the Official Site seems to think is spelled differently) and Quin's arrival on Kiffex. Besides those weeks, what else has passed between them, hmmmm? I hope we find out!

4) HURRY UP SEPTEMBER 26th!

8. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I picked up the issue on Wednesday and the series is definitely shaping up to be one of my favorites. Villie continues to be fun and hasn't grown stale and I don't see that happening soon. I really like how Twilight and Darkness have given us so much information into Quinlan and his origins. It's really quite interesting to see him fleshed out. I'm still not quite sure what's going on with Master Tholme and why there's so many Jedi appearing on Kiffex.

The art has been a treat too especially the full page showcase on page 3. The detail put into the characters is amazing. I'm definitely looking forward to the next two issues. So far Darkness has completely redeemd the Ongoing series from Hunt for Aurra Sing.

9. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    While Darkness is shaping up to be kickin', there's a major continuity flaw.

The official site's bio of Quinlan Vos said that Ki-Adi-Mundi found him on KIFFU, not Kiffex. We can safely say that Ki and Tholme found him jointly, but as for the different planet change, that's either a toughy or a typo.

Either way, the OWS was trying to fill up space in between Twilight and Darkness without knowing what the intentions of Dark Horse's view on Vos's background would be.

10. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    Umm, the word 'Kiffu' doesn't even appear in Quinlon Vos' bio on the official site.

11. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    whos the guy that is freed by Quinlans padawan Aayla in part 0ne? hes a dark jedi of sorts possibly quinlans master in disguise.

12. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Kiffu and Kiffex are twin planets that orbit eachother. Is there still a continuity error?

13. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Yes. The official site says he was born on Kiffu, and Darkness says Kiffex. Strange.

14. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    But the fact remains that the official site doesn't say that Ki found Vos on Kiffu. It just says he found a potential Jedi who was a Kiffar. PLEASE go check his bio again. If it did say he was from Kiffu it doesn't anymore meaning the official site has fixed any possible continuity errors.

Anyway, I have no idea who that dark Jedi is whom Aalya finds. First I thought it was Master Tholme but in the second issue Mace Windu (or some other Council member) says that they sent him to Kiffex, so now I have no idea.

15. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    It's the severed torso of Darth Maul. He's using a hologram to project legs.

16. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Fine then. :) But I know that the continuity flub exists anyway.

Heehee, Sturm is that true? I can't identify anything anymore. :)

17. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    LOL. Naw. Hey, have you seen that Fan Comic ( linked at TFN ) where as Maul is falling down the shaft, he uses the Force to reattach his legs and continue to wreak havoc on the galaxy? I thought the art was great, but man, what a DUMB story...

Maul is dead folks. Unless an EU book clones him like Thrawn or Palpatine. But he ain't gonna be back for the films.

18. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    At first, I too thought Karkko might be Tholme, but I would be very surprised if that is the case, now (which is fine with me if that's the way you plan on going, Mr. Ostrander, sir ;) ).

Methinks Karkko's an Anzati (I'm sorry if this is painfully obvious to those of you who have seen the featurette [and thus, Karkko's face] at the Official Site ;) ), and that there is a HUGE potential backstory there (Oh, please! Oh, please! Oh, please let us find out why Karkko's in suspended animation on a prison planet! :D ).

All TOS's bio says about Vos's past is that he was "a young Kiffar discovered by Jedi Ki-Adi-Mundi" and that "the tightly knit clans of Kiffex allowed Vos to leave" to be trained but "wished for him to hold Kiffex first in his heart". Now, thanks to Darkness #2, we know this last bit was mostly trickle-down opinions from the Sheyf Tinte. WotC's bio says that most Kiffar are from Kiffu, since Kiffex is the prison planet. My guess, is that you can be born anywhere in the system and be called a Kiffar if you are of that lineage, but the efforts and endeavors they've taken towards maintaining a penal colony on the planet Kiffex are very near and dear to the hearts of the Kiffar as a whole. Not serving these persuits in some way seems to rub Kiffar society the wrong way (again, monkey see, monkey do, as directed by the Sheyf).

All #2 says about Vos's past (well, "all" pertaining to his discovery, Ki-Adi-Mundi, and Tholme, anyway) is that Tholme was watchman when Vos was found to have Jedi potential and that Tholme pushed for Vos to begin training (non-kosher as it was). It is not stated anywhere in the issue that Thome discovered Vos. I'm guessing there's another great potential backstory here, too! :D

19. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm really loving the way that every 3 story arcs seems to comprise a year in realtime and SW time. This keeps the timeline flowing well, and if they keep this up until the Jedi Purge ( or the beginnings of it ), I guess it will end in 2013, at around issue # 224. ;)

I'm hoping that this will be like the Marvel comics, but chronicling 14 years of the Jedi, instead of 4 years of the "Heroes of Yavin".

20. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Oh man!!!! You guys are tlking about issue 2 already and we only just got #1 here in the UK :(

21. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I got #2 yesterday and love it! I hope they don't leave us in the dark as to the nature of the suspended animation guy. I really hope they wrap up some loose ends in this arc instead of leaving it for a later arc to do.

22. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I havn't gotten issue 2 yet... but if Karkko is an Azati and a Dark Jedi it would be very neat. Azati usually have no intrest in the Force. And they are so long lived, maybe they have a secret behind the Jedi or something that makes them not wish to be Force users.

Whatever, I'll pick up the issue sometime soon.

23. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Karkko could be linked to Nikkos Tyris somehow, he is the Dark Jedi that started the Jensaauri cult on Susevi and possibly he could have been serving under Palpatine while he was posing as Darth Sidious since he had a Sith influence himself as stated in the Essential Chronology.

24. Bogga

Jul 12, 1998
    I was just wandering through Dark Horse's site and ended up rereading issue 4's summary and it does say that Karrko is a "vampiric dark Jedi". So I guess he is an Anzati.

25. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Nice issue. I liked the new Jedi that met up with and also the Hoooom guy on Courascant. That was pretty funny reading that. I look forward to next issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.