main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Databank of galactic Systems to render galactic Maps in detail

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by daquilla, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daquilla

daquilla Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2002
    I just can't get this idea out of my head ... hope this fits here ...

First I think I have to state, that I'm no programer. I've only done some minor programing tasks while studying elektronics ... the biggest was to create a 3-D Rendering Pipeline that would read polygons out of a txt file with certain order and paint the objects these polygons form with a lighteffect, painting line by line of each polygon ... but that was done in a 3-man team a long time ago :) ... I also don't have much free time to go after this dream at the moment :( ... and I'm german, so exsqueeze me for the bad english you might encounter in this rather long post.

Now ... what I'd like to see is a detailed map of the whole Star Wars Galaxy like this regional view of the Eldood Sector and it's neighbouring sectors. And I have an idea of how to save and generate all the information to get this, and several other map-styles.

This Hexagon-Style map is really nothing else than a 2-D Table you can create with Excel ... only that every second colomn is slid down half a box ... so the idea would be to break down the whole galaxy into boxes in a 2-D Table ... and save the necesary information to each "region" ... infromation that you would need to "render" a galactic map in several detail-levels or even in 3-D ... so it's about creating a Databank of the galaxy ... Calculating the space used for the elrood sector compared up to other maps of the galaxy gives an over the thumb value of 500x500 boxes for the whole galaxy, if you want to stay with the detail level of the Hexagon Map

There are already several regions of the galaxy that are known through RPG-Sourcebooks and Adventures in the detail of the Hexagon Map ... these could easily be put into an empty grid ... but what to do with the "white" areas of this map? Well ... since we're talking about a database as a simple matrix you can easily program an algorithum that randomly goes through the boxes and sets the data in them to random values (you would have to think about the general probablity for this data to be set to certain values). Of course these "generated" Systems would be flaged as such so you can easily identify the "true" SW Galaxy from the Random "Fan" Galaxy

After the Database is set up there has to be one (or several) render algorithum(s) that take the data saved in the 2-D Grid and paint this with symbols as seen in the Hexagon Map (simply overlaying saved standard Bitmaps or painting pixel by pixel) - you could zoomed out to paint only 3x3, 2x2 or 1x1 pixels per box (you'd need to think about colorisation, what's important - sector borders or traderouts or major systems ...) - You can think about highlighting regions of the galaxy, sectors, or space afiliated to a political direction (Imp, Reb, Seperatists, Vong ...) at a certain time ... and what would also be interesting is to add a "Shortest Hyperjumprout Calculator" ...

Of course first you have to think about what information you have to store and create to get all these styles of visualisation so you can program the algorithum showing the styles and routes you want to see (Information for political affiliation, 3D Space, Routes, Nebula, System, Space Station, Background information ...). I already have a lot thought out, but for example I'm totaly unsure what I'd need to calculate shortest or fastest hyperjump routes ... so here are the values I'd see necesary to render a 2D and 3D map and to give some detailed Information about the systems in that region-box. Maybe you have ideas on what could also be important, what wouuld be necessary, what could be spared ... Ideas about the random generating algorithum or the renderers ... maybe your interessted in helping out or would even want to organise this project (as I stated I don't really have time for this :))

Data for Galactic Cell:

Original or Created
    Name of Cell System
    Type of Cell System - choose from Asteroids, Star, Star System, restricted Syste

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.