main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Defenders of the A&P ..for all fans of the A/P love story

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by IamZam, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    there's already speculation that Padme is under a "jedi Mind trick" and that Luke and Leia are the product of rape...

Me thinks that's due to the fact many fans refuse to believe Vader was once a good man.

I agree...Beyind that, I stand by something I said a long time ago...This story resonates more and is far more believable if you have fallen relatively quickly and madly in love yourself (as I have).

To commit a heresy, I like this love story better than the H/L and certainly better than L/M. The Han and Leia love story is oft seen as more believable, but I think that is only because the dialogue often implies an unseen development over approximately two to three years (of course, this is a valid criticism of this love story...Padme was so uninterested in the little boy that she so obviously cared for in TPM that she makes no effort to check on his welfare in ten years, but he stays focused on her?). It also is a cinematic archetype that we are currently more familar with: scoundrel/heel/crumb with a heart of gold lands good girl.(Hell, one could view the Rock Hudson and Doris Day vehicle "Pillow Talk" in this way) Culturally, we have almost forgotten the Knight-errant and Lady tales and set up. This is unfortunate. Ok, sorry for the rant, but it seemed appropriate.

Gunray's Lawyer
    Palpatine to Darth Lex's Anakin--See, Winds of Change on the Classics board. :)

2. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Me thinks that's due to the fact many fans refuse to believe Vader was once a good man.
    Definitely.

That and the fact that many so-called fans refuse to accept that Star Wars is about much more than lightsaber duels and starfighter dogfights and blaster skirmishes.

This is myth. And if Vader was a bad dude from the get-go, it's a pretty boring myth. There are countless myths and stories about fallen angels. How interesting is a story of pure, irredeemable evil like Palpatine's?

Padme was so uninterested in the little boy that she so obviously cared for in TPM that she makes no effort to check on his welfare in ten years
    If there was one question I could ask GL about the AOTC love story, it would be: What possible reason is there not to have shown Padme with the japoor snippet pendant? That little detail -- that she kept it, especially if shown in relation to her doubts or fears about falling in love with Anakin -- would so tellingly have demonstrated that she hasn't forgotten him. For example, showing her holding the pendant in her hand before they board the freighter for Naboo, or when Anakin goes to find Shmi -- or, most powerfully in my view, at the end of the fireplace scene -- would have made a huge difference to her characterization in the film.

It's possible there is an EpIII reason for this omission. Somehow I doubt it, though.

(My second question would be: How can you not see that cutting the Naberrie family scenes was a terrible, terrible error? :p :mad:)

Culturally, we have almost forgotten the Knight-errant and Lady tales and set up. This is unfortunate.
    Yep. :D

3. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Do you think the pendant will show up in Ep3? There was no mention in 2..I hope GL has not forgotten that little token of love.

4. jedi-ES

jedi-ES Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Hey everyone. Just a quick note here - another post in my thread. The link is in the sig. :)

5. jedi-ES

jedi-ES Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Hey everyone. Just a quick note here - another post in my thread. The link is in the sig. :)

6. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002

Would also say I have to totally agree. So many people see Vader as the ultimate villain (and he is!!), but they can't see past the villian to the fact that he was once a man, and not always a villian. I get the feeling man fanboys (and girls) would have preffered that he felll in to the Damian the Omen / Bad Seed forumla of a kid who tortured womp rats for fun, and enjoyed hurting others. That a villian like Vader could have had a good heart and felt real love at one time, is more than they can cope with. Some just can't accept the fact that under the right cirumstances almost anyone could make the wrong choice and become a bad guy. (Look at those who followed Hitler).

Welcome Vampire!! I love your signature quotes, they are very very true!!!

7. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I concur part of the trouble some of these people have with Anakin and Padmé's relationship has to do with accepting that Vader was once a lovesick young man. They're the ones who wanted lil' Ani to pull wings off flies in TPM. Part of it has to do with regarding this type of romance as "unrealistic" and "corny." But they have no problem accepting ships that go kaboom in space with big flame balls ;). Then you have your crew of Ani-bashers and those who will never accept anything Lucas does as valid.

The idea that Anakin rapes Padmé or that he's just using a mind trick on her ("they only work on the weak-minded") is preposterous. It's not even worth my time trying to convince any cretin who believes that.

--MissPadme

8. anakin-player

anakin-player Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2002
    The idea that Anakin rapes Padmé or that he's just using a mind trick on her ("they only work on the weak-minded") is preposterous. It's not even worth my time trying to convince any cretin who believes that.

Can't be stated any better than that!

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    For those who have joined us in the last year, you might find it Ironic that the suggestion that Luke and Leia were concieved by Rape (and the subsequent banning of yours truely) was one of the catalist for this thread being started in the first place...

10. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Ironic, indeed....full-circle, and all that....like where once we were the learners, now we are the masters. Hey, wait a minute.... :D

It's probably a very fortunate thing, though, that I'm not daring to stray into that particular fracas....I couldn't put the sane, rational, *reasonable* response any better than you guys have, that's for sure, but what's more - well, honestly....for the sake of blood pressure, and as likely as not to keep from repeatedly bashing my head against the wall....that, yes - and who knows *what* I'd end up saying....:D Gah, some of these people, you *more* than just want to smack 'em silly....grrrrrr....

Thank the Force that *we're* the sensible, sane, rational, reasonable, thinking ones. :D

Dawn.

11. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    I am locking this at one of the co-author's request. A new version (2.0) will be created soon.

12. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I AM GETTING DISAPPOINTED IN THE WEB CAM. I THINK GL HAS SAID NOT TO BE ANYWHERE NEAR FILMING. THEY HAVE THE CAMERAS STUCK AT WOOKIE COSTUME MAKING AND SET BUILDING. WE HAVE NOT SEEN ANY MAKE UP ROOMS OR FILMING NOW IN NEARLY TWO WEEKS. I WANT TO SEE ANAKIN :(

13. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Wait....what? I'm confuzzled....doesn't take much, I know....help! I think I must've missed something....again....:) What's going on now? *awake and attentive*

Dawn.

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    We;ve outgrown this thread... you can't even open the first page anymore which means the thread is getting too large... which means post and read errors will abound.

Our NEW home is HERE

See everyone there!!

Edit

The thread is so awkward, Grilled himself can't open the 1rst page to lock it...

Please continue discussions on the new thread...

15. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    This isn't locked yet...

[face_mischief]

I guess I can continue to post away.

EDIT: What can we do about getting all our old homes archived? I think we have 2 in the AOTC Forum and this one here. Is there any chance for those to be placed in the annals of the JCC?

EDIT #2: Could this possibly be the reason we're seeing so many errors on this board as of late? Maybe we should go back to the 5000 post limit that was enforced on this board last year?

EDIT #3: On a more personal note, I'd like to thank everybody who's posted here in the last few months. For whatever cosmic reasons, we have all centered on this silly little love story as our place of worship, and maintained one of the more agreeable and mature social groups on the JCC. Let's hope we can continue that fine tradition in the years to come.

EDIT #4: Blessed are the cheesemakers.

EDIT #5: Cheesemakers are metaphoric of any people who produce dairy products.

EDIT #6: "Ah, the breakfast thing. Yes, it wasn't about the eggs really, frankly I like the yolks, I..I don't..I have no problem, it's, there's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me and it's not so much that I want to kill her. It's just that I want her not to be alive anymore. I sometimes wonder if all women are this difficult, and then I think to myself, by god wouldn't it be marvellous if I turned out to be a homosexual."

16. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    Good bye old friend. I will miss you.

But I will see everyone at the new thread.
    Its been a great ride.

:_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.