main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Derp, DERP. Derpitimus Maximus. Derpity deeeeeeerp...

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Nice personal attack on somebody you don't even know.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    And you went even further back. You can have a legal ruling on what is taught in school. How do you think ToE ever got taught in schools and kept away from creationism to begin with? It is all a huge legal battle through this past century. But you are still ignoring what I actually said. They could have gotten caught on a tennis court rather than a legal court. They got caught admitting publically more than onc emany times that they have no research. Got it?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the "it's not my job to find it for you" along with the personal insults against several of us who don't believe in creationism, is all the proof we need that there is no research.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    This. There is not one shred of evidence supporting the idea of creationism. When a wise man encounters information that contradicts his previously held beliefs, he will change those beliefs in order to adapt to the new information. Clinging to an old belief in the face of overwhelming evidence is childish.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yeah, I'm just going to ignore everything you ever say again. You're obviously not worth the brainpower.

For the record: Never struck a woman. Never been married. **** Off.

6. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Okay, one last thing before I go.

First, sorry, if you really know so little of basic rhetoric and argument that you don't recognize when someone uses one of the most common, famous, and old-trope examples used to illustrate a logical fallacy on you, then having a rhetorical debate with you is a waste of time. Derp indeed.

Second, I appreciate that many of you would like to have a fine debate on intelligent design vs. evolution. I'm not interested in having that debate, nor do I need to do so to prove my point. We all understand that it is entirely possible to make a bad argument in favor of a valid point; my assertion was that saying that intelligent design has been debunked because a court said so is a bad argument. Proving this assertion does not require me to prove whether or not evolution or creationism is true; it merely requires me to prove that this is a bad argument regarding it. So trying to drag me into a wider evolution vs. intelligent design debate is to try to drag me off into what is, for the purpose of proving my assertion, an irrelevancy.

As for my actual assertion, of course that's a bad argument. Courts and lawyers are not a valid way to prove a scientific point, and there's a huge difference between making a ruling on what can and can't be taught in schools and determining what is scientific fact. If the court had ruled the other way, which was entirely possible - many people forget that the creationists actually won the "Scopes Monkey Trial" - you'd be saying the same thing that I am, which is that courts are completely unqualified to make scientific pronouncements, and that just because a court says that something is or isn't scientific doesn't make it so.

Lord Vivec - if you really either 1) don't understand the distinction I laid out above or 2) can't parse a basic rhetorical argument well enough to figure out what I was actually saying, then pardon me if I retain some reservations about leaving things to "science professionals" like yourself.

7. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    vlm said that certain theories had been "debunked" in the courts. To debunk means to "expose the falseness or hollowness of (a myth, idea, or belief)."

Narutikin's point is that theories are not debunked in courts; they are debunked by scientists.

So this whole argument is about an imprecise usage of the word "debunked"... Great way to spend your time, huh?

GO OUTSIDE

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Go outside indeed.

There is quite a bit of evidence of evolution there. I'm a pretty regular hiker myself.

Nice dodge though, both of you.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Stop beating a dead horse. Enough.

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    They were debunked by scientists....in court.
    I have never seen someone say nothing of value in so many words.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Oh, Ray, you are a never-ending source of amusement and ridicule. If only you weren't corrupting so many people in the process...

[​IMG]

Arawn_Fenn and VadersLaMent like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Well isn't this special...

I was working out with a friend yesterday when this came on the TVs at the gym. We had fun with it. "Oh, your state has the lowest education rate in the country and you want to blame it on women who work outside the home? Really??? And your alternative is...what exactly? Women should quit their jobs and go on welfare to support their children so they can be criticized as a burden to the system?"

LOL at the article discussing tough "choices." Yeah, the choice between putting food on the table and letting one's children starve is tough. NOT.

According to the governor of Mississippi, if you're having trouble in school and your mother has a job--it's her fault

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *sighs* Women can't win at all these days it seems.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sexism is far from dead.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So it seems.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have noticed the disclaimer that gets thrown up is the same across the board when it comes to right wing sexism, "I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this but...".

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    By definition, you're not going to be able to "prove" intelligent design scientifically. Intelligent design is in the province of faith, not provable facts. The most you can get is a bunch of derpmeisters going "this has got to be designed". Why? Because they say so.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

Along these same lines...from the files of "**** you just can't make up".

Apparently, women should not be allowed to make money, and they definitely should not be allowed to be the primary breadwinners of households. Ever.

Because yanno, if we let dem wimmenz have any kind of success, democracy as we know it will cease to exist. Plus they won't be barefoot in the kitchen with our hot meals ready when we get home.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep, the War on Women is back just in time for the GOP to get it's butt kicked in Mid - terms too.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Are these sexist old men dead yet?

22. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    They'll just get replaced by sexist younger men, unfortunately. That's why I know that when Pat Robertson dies, even though I'll be celebrating, he'll just get replaced by someone just as awful. Ray Comfort seems to be poised to succeed Robertson as the eminent Christian Idiot Everybody Loves To Hate (tm).

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I have a feeling they already are if the Tea Party is any indication.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Every so often you read a headline and you know it's hyperbole to get attention. And then sometimes the content happens to be worse than the actual headline.

Hannity, young girls, sex etc[/ur]

On his radio show, Hannity hyped a
    CNS News article that claimed a Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) website, girlshealth.gov, informs girls age 10 to 16 "about birth control, gay sex, and mutual masturbation." Hannity described the website as "spreading the wonders of anal sex and mutual masturbation courtesy of the Obama administration."

As I have lamented before, regardless of what the electoral college votes tunred out to be, keep in mind only a few million votes eparated Obama and Romney. Half the people of the U.S. go with this crap.

25. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Not necessarily. It only appears as such because we are, for all intents and purposes, stuck with a two party system.

And as long as people keep voting for "the guy with the best chance to beat that bastard", instead of examining the wide range of candidates and voting for the person that most closely matches their views, we aren't to see any improvement.