main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Diary Challenge Thread 2012 Important annoucement please read and respond

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Diary_Challenge_Sock, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I was just thinking the same thing. I want to post, post now! In my case I don't think it is ADD as much as OCD. If I could come up with a good subject maybe I'll try doing this. Maybe I would do a diary written by my OC Mark Tantiss. I don't know if anybody would read it except my 5 or 6 faithful readers to my ongoing fic.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    You may not realize it, but a year is a long time. Why don't you start with the OT, then if you have time, go into TTT. Also, I always imagine R2 having the worse potty mouth in the galaxy - thats why they always had to bleep him out in the movies and cartoons :p

Also, I plan to do Beru's diary from a few weeks after Padme and Anakin leave Tatooine in ep. II through into Luke's childhood. This means I have to kill Cliegg Lars. Wookieepedia claims he died from his injuries and a broken heart. Is it just me or is "broken heart" just too corny?

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hazel and Briann! Yay! JL, I'd so read Mark's diary [face_laugh] -- he's just enough like Luke but different [face_laugh] (and he considers Luke and Mara to be parental figures) [face_mischief]

I'm still gonna do a Luke/Mara centered thingy - but I'm considering not making it part of the challenge per se, for two reasons. Alternating first persons, which is FUN! And that way, it will be a longish short story but if it only runs six months, doesn't fall outa the challenge :p

And, incidentally, it then doesn't have to be started in January automatically ;)

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think a broken heart is a bit corny/not a medical condition, but didn't Padme supposedly die of a broken heart, too? IMO you can fuzz it a bit and just have him die of complications with his injuries or infection or a botched surgery or something.

5. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    A Mark diary would be FUN. [face_laugh] I would definitely read it.

[face_laugh] Point!

Actually, I already have the layout for the OT and I can squeeze 26/27 entries easily. Now I just have to write them.

It is kind of corny. Maybe they meant 'heart attack'. [face_thinking]

I'l looking forward to it, Jade! :D [face_love]

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I agree. I wasn't allowed to kill anyone in my last diary, and I think Cliegg's death is going to be the only one in this diary, so I gotta make it count. I think I will fuzz it up a bit. Maybe I will give him an infection, then have him refuse medical treatment - he will say it is because it is too espensive, but I can have Beru speculate he refused it because he wanted to die.

I didn't outline my entries for my 2011 diary, but I think I will for this one. I want to do a few entries before baby Luke comes in, but I don't want it to be like May before he comes.

J_L, I'd totally read a Mark diary.

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I may do it then. Second to None I think will end time-wise probably a year after after The Last Command novel. Although I may have a epilogue that goes years into the future. Maybe it would be interesting for Mark Tantiss to follow along during the entire EU and make comments about what is going on with Luke and Mara.

8. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I'm thinking about doing a Dark Knight Rises Diary since the movie will be coming out in May 2012. It will mainly be from Bruce Wayne's point of view, but I'll also include others like Alfred, Bane, Catwoman, etc. into it.

9. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Actually....and I thought it was a joke at first...it is a medical condition.
    It's called Broken Heart Syndrome. As corny as it is, it's real. Who'd have thought?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/broken-heart-syndrome/DS01135

It's just not fatal.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Wow.

I'm just glad it's not fatal; it gives me an excuse not to use it.

Thanks for the info though. It made me realize I need to watch episode II again to see Clieggs state of mind.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow! I've never heard of that. Thanks for the link!!

12. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Now that I'm thinking about it. Finches is a very good example. They need to be in pairs or they die of lonliness.

It can happen in a little as a week.

My friend had a really bad experiance. Her male conquer was killed by her red parret. Her female's health started to deteriot very rapidly. She wasn't planning on getting another conquer that soon but she had too because her female wasn't doing too well.

So technichally it can be fatal if not addressed right away.

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    for more species of birds it's the same.
    Swans for instance

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I know that after a really, really good friend of mine died tragically, my health went downhill for a while. :/

Anywho, I've written a few disjointed entries that I don't plan to use, but I'm gonna keep a nice stockpile of random things in case I need to update and have nothing to write. Considering my history with blogs and journals (I eventually just abandon them), this is gonna be a challenge, but I'm up for it. Anything to get my muse to be less finicky.

15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    So I've abandoned the unusual idea I was trying to cook up earlier, and am now considering several other simpler ideas. Specifically, either Jaina during the NJO series, Wes Janson during the X-wing novels, Ben Skywalker during LOTF and/or FOTJ, Ferus Olin during the Last of the Jedi young readers series, or (forgive me for suggesting it) Ahsoka during the Clone Wars.

Have any of these been done before, and are there any in there that you veterans think might be too difficult for a rookie like me? I'm leaning toward Ben during FOTJ or Ferus, with Jaina my next option. What do you guys think?

16. LouQuinn

LouQuinn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 14, 2010
    Alright, I have lurked at the diaries for three years straight, I think it's time I participate in the challenge :D

I have an idea in mind (not very original, though). It's Luke/Mara centered. Question: do I have to write the diary of a person only or can I write two characters and their respective diaries?

17. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    It would have to be two seperate diaries, meaning two seperate threads. :)

18. LouQuinn

LouQuinn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 14, 2010
    So, I'm actually allowed to have not only one, but two diaries for the Dear Diary Challenge?

19. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Of course. You can write as many diaries as you want. It's completely up to you. You'll just have to make sure to update on schedule, that's all.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Ahsoka might prove to be the more difficult one. Personally, I'd go with Ferus. I don't recall seeing much Ferus action around here, but I might be mistaken.

21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, Ahsoka's probably out. The problem with Ferus is that I don't know whether I could get 26 entries out of just 10 young readers' novels. I might have to start back at his resignation from the Jedi or take it into the Rebel Force books to fill a whole year. FOTJ is made up of much larger books, so it would be easier to get a full year out of them. I'm also more familiar with FOTJ than I am with the Last of the Jedi series. Still, I've always liked Ferus, so I'm not sure which one I'm going to go with yet.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Write a bit, play around with the characters, and figure out what works for you. Don't worry about what's been written before; no two stories are the same.

23. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Plus, it doesn't necessarily have to be canon. You can always write AU's.
    Let your imagination go, just write anything that you want. Who cares what's been written before? Use it as a reference, a back story and just continue from there on.

That's the great thing about fanfic.

And it doesn't have to be perfect. ;)

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    For further example, let's say I wanted to go back a bit and write about Zuckuss's Alliance tenure. He wasn't there very long and the only material that pertained to it were two missions; one with Domina Tagge and the other while trying to intercept Boba Fett and retrieve Solo. But, just because I lack canon material doesn't mean I lack material. There's still lots of stuff I could describe. Not everything needs to pertain to the two missions he was one while still operating for all intents and purposes as a bounty hunter.

A diary is a log of a character's life. There is more to a character's life than canon material, and ten books is plenty more material than I have to work with for my time frame: a few paragraphs from two source books. Due to that, I'm tempted to either dial back the time frame to a more action-packed period, or do two diaries (same character, two time frames), as prison life may get dull...

...unless Zuckuss decides to stage a daring escape.

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks for the comments. I'm not sure I could pull off an AU or creating my own story to fill in gaps, but I'm thinking about it. Another idea that just occurred to me is a Zayne Carrick diary. I'm seriously thinking about that now; it would give me an excuse to dig out my KotOR comics (not that I actually need an excuse to do that).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.