main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Darth Maul intend to rejoin Sidious?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Dark Ferus, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Note- I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this.

As we see in season 5 of the Clone wars, as soon as Darth Sidious entered Maul's throne room, maul bows and declares his loyalty (unsuccessfully) to Sidious. Previously, he had vowed to destroy the Sith "pretenders" (though he could have only meant Dooku) and was offended that Sidious had continued his plans without Maul. Maul considered himself the master at that point, having Savage Opress as his apprentice. Because of these reasons, it was unclear whether Maul was truly still loyal to Sidious on Mandalore or just pretending.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    I think if he had truly been loyal to the Emperor he would have tried to contact him after being "rescued" by Savage rather than get involved in his own scheme on Mandalore. But maybe his plan was to remove Dooku first and then reveal himself to Sidious. That would put him in a stronger position, I suppose.

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think Maul knew he was on his own at that point. He'd been replaced by Dooku as Sidious's apprentice. If Maul showed up to rejoin Sidious - my guess is he'd of been killed. So what Maul did in reestablishing himself was as much for own protection as much as his own ambition. Maybe if he'd done well enough Sidious would have reconsidered dropping Dooku in favor of Maul. But we know that was never a possibility for what Sidious had planned.

4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Darth Maul was an horrendously underused character, such a waste. I feel he should've survived until ROTS, with Anakin finally slaying him proceeding a fierce duel which takes place before Sidious.

DarthZ07 likes this.
  5. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    That's how I feel about Boba Fett. He did nothing but stand around in the background in TESB, so that the evil George Lucas could sell a billion action figures based on his cool looks alone. Then he sees a miniscule amount of action in RotJ, before dying like a clown. Explain to me why this character is so popular? It's a travesty. /sarcasm

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  6. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    He was pretending to be loyal to Sidious in that throne room, if you read Son of Dathomir, you could see his true intentions.

Also Filoni's view on Maul's situation ;

http://www.starwars.com/news/fates-...eflects-on-star-wars-rebels-season-two-part-2

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  7. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    no, darth maul was a renegade at the exact moment obi-wan cut him in half. he was absolutely insane when we first see him in the clone wars & sidious never would've taken him back due to his failure on naboo.

maul even seemed to want revenge on sidious (if i am recalling the clone wars correctly). when sidious walks into the throne room, maul knew that he was about to duel with sidious. he knew the rule of 2 & he knew what sidious had came there for, to finish them off and rid them away. i think maul knelt just because of old times sake. i think maul was sarcastically greeting sidious with respect

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He said "pretender" (singular) and was talking about Dooku.

And he didn't necessarily intend to join Sidious, but was hoping to play under his radar and get his own power base. When Sidious went to him, he could only pledge his allegiance and pretend he was working for Sidious all along, because he knew he wasn't powerful enough to face him. Of course, Sidious sensed his attempt to deceive him from the get go.

WebLurker likes this.
  9. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    When he got his sanity back in Clone Wars, it sounded like he just wanted to carve out his own power base, maybe create his own Sith Order under the radar of Sidious. (The fact that Maul still claimed that he and his brother were Sith Lords made it sound like he thought he had the right to the titles and the others didn't, like how at different points in the Roman Catholic Church's history, there were two papacies operating and claiming to be the legitimate one.)

By the time of Rebels, Maul seems to be anti-Sith, albeit wanting to operate as a dark side user. So, think he was a dark Jedi by then.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No, it was a trick especially. Cause he already had an Apprentice.

11. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    How can he? He was cut in freaking two and the halves fell down a shaft.

Vader fan 99 and HevyDevy like this.
  12. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Did you read the OP ?

13. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    At first, perhaps, but after having gone insane on a garbage planet, I think his interest in Sidious faded when Sidious never sought him out. I think that when Maul surrendered himself to Sidious on Mandalore, and confessed his desire to build a Sith Empire for Sidious, he was lying in a hasty attempt to save his own mechanical bum.