main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Han use the force?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Alomanuma_Topha, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    Oooh, try again. Two Force-related things are happening there. Obi-Wan is talking to Luke though the Force, and Luke guides the missiles with the Force. His flying abilities are his own.

2. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    Oooh, try again. Two Force-related things are happening there. Obi-Wan is talking to Luke though the Force, and Luke guides the missiles with the Force. His flying abilities are his own.

So you're saying that no one can use the force to fly a ship? What about when Yoda flies the xwing out of the swamp?... if I remember correctly, he was using the force to do that.

3. d0qtrx

d0qtrx Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2001
    No.

Greedo never shot.

The butchered version of ANH shows the bounty hunter miss a blaster shot from point-blank range and has Han shoot back to try and change the past and change his image.

4. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Greedo never shot.

I just watched ANH again and Greedo clearly shoots. Watch right before Han shoots greedo, you see a blaster shot from greedo that hits the wall next to Han's head (you even see a puff of smoke where the blast hits the wall).

5. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "I think that in the cantina, Obi Wan is the one who pushes Han out of the way. However, in ROTJ, Luke is actually using the force to kill Boba Fett, but he did it in such a way as to make Han feel better about himself. "

Ben wasn't in the cantina when Solo shot Greedo.
    Luke's back was to Fett and he was concentrating on the baddies in front of him trying to shoot him.

"Still, Han can fly really well, and based on both Luke and the young Annakin, only pilots who are really, really in tune with the force can fly that well. So perhaps Han has that aspect of the force and just has never chosen to follow that path. But man, he would be the coolest jedi ever if he did! "

So the TIE pilots there were able to navigate the asteroid field were Force sensitive? Oh, what about all the Wedge Antillies and rest of Rouge Squadron? All these Force sensitive people running amok and Yoda and Ben focus on Luke to train as the only Jedi?

"Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are you saying that after TPM the midicholorians all go away? Where do they go? And how does the force work without them? "

The only answer to this question is an out of universe answer. GL made up the midi's for TPM. Although TPM is a prequel it was physically made what, 16 years after ROTJ?

6. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "which explains why the Force got tired of them and let them be purged. Is it possible their attempts to assign quantitative "

What!?!?!?!?! The Force is an Omnipotent Being controlling the fate of man? That sounds like a God.

"When Luke was flying down the Death Star trench: Ben is guiding him through the force. Even Vader can sense it: "The Force is strong with this one."

Ben was not doing anything other than coaching Luke, telling him to use the Force. Vader can sense the Force in Luke becuase when the OT was made there were no midi's and Jedi could sense on another!!!!!!

"So you're saying that no one can use the force to fly a ship? What about when Yoda flies the xwing out of the swamp?... if I remember correctly, he was using the force to do that. "

Go look up the definition of flying and levitating and answer your own question.

7. MakeItLikeAHamburger

MakeItLikeAHamburger Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2004
    "Ben was not doing anything other than coaching Luke, telling him to use the Force."

Hello, ben used the force to get the torpedos into the exhaust ports!! "I shall become more powerfull than you could ever imagine"

You guys think he was just talking bull? Or he got killed so he could talk to people in their minds? POWER FULL!!!!!!

What else could that possibly mean?

8. MrHat

MrHat Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2004
    Definately not. That would destroy the character of Han as a man who is blind to the supreme power around him. He says in ANH that there is no force and it is all luck. So to answer your question...HELL NO!

9. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Definately not. That would destroy the character of Han as a man who is blind to the supreme power around him. He says in ANH that there is no force and it is all luck. So to answer your question...HELL NO!

So you're saying that if he uses the force but doesn't beleive in the force then it doesn't count as using a force power, but if he believed in the force then he'd be using the force? Does that sound right?

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    So you're saying that if he uses the force but doesn't beleive in the force then it doesn't count as using a force power, but if he believed in the force then he'd be using the force? Does that sound right?

Actually, it doesn't matter since Han does not have the Force to begin with. He's what we call Force blind.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    What!?!?!?!?! The Force is an Omnipotent Being controlling the fate of man? That sounds like a God.

IMO, yes. It created a chosen one, which seems to be a conscious act. Obi-Wan also tells Luke the Force can control one's actions.

And what is with the excessive use of exclamation points and expressions of disbelief in this thread? There's no rule against it, but I'll ask everyone nicely to stop. If you disagree with someone, surely you can present a counterargument instead of being rude.

12. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Actually, it doesn't matter since Han does not have the Force to begin with. He's what we call Force blind.

Force Blind??? we call 'force blind'? Who is 'we' and what do you mean by 'force blind'?

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Force Blind??? we call 'force blind'? Who is 'we' and what do you mean by 'force blind'?

I am being general there. No need to get bent out of shape. I thought it was a term mostly everyone knew. I guess not.

Force blind is when someone cannot feel the Force. Like Han and Lando. The Force is still a part of them, but they don't have the ability to actually put it to use. If you go by EU, Han refers to this a lot.

14. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    EV Edit: Please don't try to start a canon war.

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    But Han doesn't use the Force. Why would someone who believes the Force is a hokey religon and wants no part of it whatsoever use it? That would make him a hypocrite. Even if he did have the ability to use the Force, if he believed that, he wouldn't use it.

16. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Alpha, strike 1.

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Han cannot use the Force.

And the way I see it, Greedo intentionally missed. He was just trying to intimidate Han.

18. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Alpha, strike 1.

who's alpha? I guess you mean me.

But Han doesn't use the Force. Why would someone who believes the Force is a hokey religon and wants no part of it whatsoever use it? That would make him a hypocrite. Even if he did have the ability to use the Force, if he believed that, he wouldn't use it.

I don't think you have to believe in the force to use it... how else did Luke bullseye womprats? And clearly Luke didn't know what the force was seeing that ben had to explain it to him. As for Han, how is it that this guy runs around the death star shooting up storm troopers and never once get shot or even hurt? Luck??? Ben said there's no such thing as luck! Han used the force, end of discussion.

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Ben said there's no such thing as luck!

Devil's advocate: How do we know his point of view on the Force was even correct?

20. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    Devil's advocate: How do we know his point of view on the Force was even correct?

You're right, although there's absolutely nothing in the movies that states Han CAN'T use the force. And stating that there are people who can NEVER use the force is just as bad as explaining the force with Mediclorians... but at least those were in the movies.

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    As for Han, how is it that this guy runs around the death star shooting up storm troopers and never once get shot or even hurt? Luck??? Ben said there's no such thing as luck! Han used the force, end of discussion.

Plot device, my friend. It wouldn't be much of a movie if the stormies killed all of the heroes now, would it?

Who cares if Ben says there's no such thing as luck. That's only one person's opinion. Just because one person says something doesn't mean it's fact.

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    You're right, although there's absolutely nothing in the movies that states Han CAN'T use the force.

But there are things in Star Wars that say Han can't use the Force. Don't limit yourself to only the movies.

23. Alomanuma_Topha

Jan 2, 2004
    ok, then I guess we can all agree that if you only go by the movies, then Han uses the force, but if you go by the EU, then maybe he doesn't. sound good?

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Han doesn't use the Force in either the movies or the EU.

25. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    sound good?

No. I'm with Bib on this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.