main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did R2 know that Vader was Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Arawn_Fenn, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, Artoo knew. He was never wiped. Lucas has confirmed that he is the one who carries all the secrets throughout the Saga. And his comments about years after Luke's death, he tells the story of the Skywalkers to the Keeper of the Whills also show that this is true. Even into the Legacy comics, he still remembers everything.

2. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    LOL, Sinister, that is if you accept Alan Dean Foster's version of events, right? ;)

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas did write the intro for ANH. That was as far as he got. He reused it again when the paperback version of "Shatterpoint" came out. The concept dates back to the second and third drafts of ANH.

4. SithMaster_69

SithMaster_69 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2007
    Not killing Padme(she died of a broken heart). But he did show holo-vids of him Force Choking her.So he knew something was going on, & he had to have heard it as well.

I don't know why they didn't think of wiping his memory as well.

But I'm not sure if R2 was present for the raid on the Temple. Anakin didn't have him when he went to Palps' office. & I doubt he would have had time to swing by & pick him up on the way to get the 501st.
    Unless R2 was already @ the Temple.

5. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005
    you know I am just teasing you after our debate in the other thread, where the canonicity of Foster ghostwriting for Lucas was questioned. :)

6. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    He seemed to suspect something was up after Anakin had left the Temple. I'm guessing (and the EU seems to suppor this) that he at least saw the confrontation between Padme and Anakin on Mustafar and the beginning of the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan. That would explain why he was at the ship when Obi-Wan returned.

Did he know that Anakin was Vader? That I'm not sure about. Maybe the little droid figured it out, but I don't know.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If we go by what's on screen only, he does when ROTJ rolls around and Luke is talking to Obi-wan.

8. SithMaster_69

SithMaster_69 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2007
    Hmmmm I wonder if R2 was able to see OB1's Force Ghost?

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Droids have no understanding of the Force. So, no, he didn't see or hear Obi-wan. Artoo couldn't understand the hows and whys, but just accepted that Luke wasn't talking to thin air.

10. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    R2 knew. Organa makes it clear to wipe the protocol droid, but says nothing about the astromech. R2 was loyal to his masters, and they knew he could keep a secret. One moment comes to mind, when R2 and 3PO stand in line with the Jawas in ANH, R2 swivels his dome and looks at Owen and Luke and studies them quietly, then turns away, seeming to realise that he must keep his mouth shut.

Yes, he knew.:)

Cheers_Cazza@};-

11. Darth_Davi

Jul 29, 2005
    Other than Skippy, the Jedi droid. :p

12. MasterLuke83

MasterLuke83 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2008
    Indeed. Ive noticed this too. Also note when he meets 3PO after the temple massacre, he says something to him that warrants a "shh not so loud" and then "well he is under a lot of stress".

It hit me that R2 was probably saying "Anakins gone nuts!"

13. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the saga was 'as told' by the droids at some point after ROTJ, ala 3PO's incomplete version on the Endor moon to the Ewoks.

Notice too in that ROTJ scene how R2 is relatively silent -- in hindsight, with the PT now completed, the little guy knows the story runs much deeper and darker than 3PO 'remembers.' Fun topic. [face_dancing]

14. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    ^^^

I think many answers to this question can be gleaned by watching this scene .... I'm gonna do it tonite.

15. Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan

Tikei-Fore-Tu-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    As was mentioned a few posts above, the droids are the "narrators" of the story. Even without Lucas' admission, it seems clear to me that R2 does know everything, and 3PO's main function is to interpret R2's insightful bleeps for the audience. R2's timely comments in each film are akin to Shakespearean "Asides" that give valuable hints to the audience that the cast members "don't hear". While R2 was not physically present at the Temple Massacre, it stands to reason that due to his uh, "inquisitive" nature, he acquired evidence of the event from somewhere.

In response to someone further up the tree that doubts R2's discretionary abilities, I posit this: R2 found the Death Star plans in AOTC, yet "said" nothing about them until the "transmission" was recovered by the Alliance halfway through ANH, some thirty (not sure of the timing, exactly) years later. It's been conclusively proven both in AOTC and ESB (R2 knew that Vader was on Bespin before he revealed himself) that R2 had knowledge of upcoming events that he didn't share with the group.

16. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    R2 found the Death Star plans in AOTC??
    I don't know why people keep saying "Anakin killed Padme" either.
    I'm a little puzzled as to how much R2 knew. When Anakin went to save Palpatine from Windu, R2 wasn't with him, or the ship he was using. So how do we know what he saw? On the other hand, that would mean he was somewhere at the Jedi Temple already.
    As to Mustafar, he could very well have seen a lot of the confrontation there, but i really don't see how he could know Anakin was Vader. That name is never used during the Mustafar confrontation, and he certainly didn't see Anakin put in the suit later, back on Coruscant.
    He certainly did know about Anakin and Padme though. It's just too bad so much EU was written without knowledge of the prequels. It's pretty unbelievable that 30 years would go by before Luke and Leia found out who there mother was.

17. Indyman

Indyman Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2008
    And also, since Artoo and Threepio were always together, and in III, I mean, it's not like Threepio didn't know what was happening toward the end.... Artoo would have figured it out. Certainly he knew.

18. Chiss_Insight

Chiss_Insight Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm sure people could go through and find specific moments where it is impossible that R2 knew the WHOLE saga. However, as a strytelling device, it's fun to have a character that has seen everything and can't talk. At least, not in a language the audience can understand. Great topic!

19. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Yeah, R2D2 was one of Lucas' favorites - he once said the droid knew everything. But based simply on the movie, I don't know how he would know that Vader was Anakin, there was really no opportunity for him to know. After Mustafar, he gives a sad little whine when Obi-Wan comes out alone as if he believed Obi-Wan had killed Anakin. So I would say the R2 unit was clueless until GL filled him in. :p.

Now it is possible that once R2 saw Vader with his own eyes he saw through the outer wrappings of the Vader suit to the man he knew was Anakin and then put everything together. And didn't Luke say right in front of him "why didn't you tell me Vader was my father?" If so, R2 would know because he knew Anakin was Luke's dad, so he'd be in the know from that point onward.

20. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Thanks for the info, I did not know about that. :)

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    We don't know conclusively that R2 could access the Ultimate Weapon plans just from plugging in to a terminal in the droid factory.

And as far as R2 knowing that Vader was on Bespin, all we have to go on is this:

Which isn't translated.

22. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    I always assumed Artoo knew everything but that he just didn't get involved in humans' personal lives. Telling Luke about Vader would have been overstepping his boundaries, so to speak. He's there to help with technical stuff, not their interactions.

EDIT: Also, it is very possible that Artoo overheard conversation between Yoda, Obi Wan and Bail. The humans often talked as if Artoo wasn't there. So who knows what information he was privy to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.