main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Did you like Clone Wars? Do you like Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by SatineNaberrie, Feb 25, 2015.

?

What Star Wars shows do you like?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2015.
  1. Clone Wars (CGI)

83.8%
  2. Rebels

69.1%
  3. Clone Wars (2D animation)

63.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    121 + the four episodes that were spliced together into the Clone Wars theatrical movie.

2. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    1:TCW
    2:Rebels
    3:droids(never seen it but gladiator star destroyer first appearance so....yeah!)
    4.Ewoks(never seen but I have a feeling nobody was super OP in it)
    5.Holiday special animated(han solos face....arrgh)
    6,7,20 and so forth
    99.(AKA: Not very good) Clone wars.

darskpine10 likes this.
  3. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Well, of the three, I think the microseries is a bit of an oddball. It's hard to quantify it, since it's so different from everything else Star Wars, but I appreciate how elegantly it bridges the gap between Episodes 2 and 3. For me, it's really a part of the Saga. If I could only have one Star Wars TV show, this'd be it, but that's not necessarily because it's the best.

TCW, on the other hand, told interesting stories, but it always felt very out of touch. Everybody seems slightly mischaracterized, Ahsoka is just such a bad concept (I'll admit, the execution wasn't terrible; decent building built on a bad foundation), I really hate what they did with the clones themselves, and their treatment of Dooku and Grievous is really horrific. It definitely has a general upward trend in quality across the seasons, but overall it just feels like extra, or filler, to me. Fun moments, and I'm glad it's there, but not really that good as a whole.

On the other hand, I've fallen in love with Rebels. I think the characterizations are really good, the pacing superb, the plot intriguing, and it really just does everything right. This is definitely helped along by how good A New Dawn, Servants of the Empire, and the Kanan comic have all been. Mirroring that, TCW is definitely hurt by how it's set in the same era as a lot of really superb material that doesn't compliment it. That being said, Rebels will have to end going even stronger than it is now to really prove itself a worthy part of the whole saga, and especially to properly bridge the gap between the OT and the PT.

I'll also go ahead and mention Droids and Ewoks since the poll asks which TV shows I like. Droids is good. Ewoks is better (from what I've seen; I've been doing a watch-through on the Ewok thread) but it's less "Star Wars" and more it's own thing. It also has the advantage of two TV movies based on it.

So, in closing, it goes Microseries = Rebels > Droids/Ewoks (show and movies) > TCW.

EDIT: TCW, of course, is > The Holiday Special. But points to them for having the guts to call it Episode 4.5 in the opening crawl.

4. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    TCW really picked up in quality starting with season three, i am whiling to give rebels that long to get good if it lasts that long.

lookameatbag and shorttrooper like this.
  5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you're been basing your awarding of points on a misunderstanding: the Holiday Special was NEVER called Episode 4.5 in the opening crawl; in fact, there WAS no opening crawl during the original broadcast that I'm aware of. That was likely something put in by fans at a later date. I never saw a crawl or episode number there until it reached YouTube.

6. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Yeah it began with a guy shouting "The STAR WARS holiday special featuring"(insert cast here)And then stock footage of ANH I believe.

7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    To be honest, I have a bunch of copies of the thing and they all begin with the opening bit about the Star Destroyers chasing Han and Chewbacca, followed by the opening credits sequence you mention (that announcer was probably a staple of the times, because I'll swear I heard that voice on a LOT of things when I was growing up.

But the "opening crawl?" You can tell that it's clearly made and edited in after the fact, and it's clearly made with video technology that was too advanced for 1978 and not nearly advanced enough for 2015.

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Plus SOD is 4 episodes, Utapau is 4, Bad batch is now 4 more, and Dark Disciple is 8. That bumps it up to 146. Of course, had the series not been cancelled it would have been even more.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I liked some of TCW. The micro series was good for what it was. I don't care for Rebels.

10. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I absolutely love TCW. Rebels is good, not great IMO but it's growing on me. The last 3 episodes of season 1 were really good. I'd be OK if I never saw the micro series ever again.

Queen Apailana likes this.
  11. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't like Rebels as much as I liked The Clone Wars. Maybe it's just because it's in its first season, but there's not really a major plot, so to speak, other than a few rebels flying around Lothal doing shenanigans and shooting up storm troopers. But hopefully it'll ramp up over time.

And like others have previously posted, when TCW was great, it was phenomenal, and when it was bad, it was cringe-worthy. Not really an in-between. I've found myself cringing a bit during parts of Rebels when they are trying to make a emotional or awkward scene between Ezra and Sabine, or someone makes a "funny" comment during the heat of battle. But other than that it's pretty good.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  12. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    TCW is one of the best shows I have ever seen. The amazing battles, nice characterization, and great plot-lines (Mortis, Geonosis, etc.) just made it phenomenal for me. Rebels didn't live up to that for me.

darskpine10 and StarWarrior92 like this.
  13. leiajedi

leiajedi Jedi Knight

Apr 16, 2015
    I like clone wars a lot. Haven't watched rebels yet.

Sent from my SM-G9006V using Tapatalk 2

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    I love TCW. I've only seen a few episodes of Rebels, so I haven't drawn many conclusions there yet. So far it seems fine. I watched Clone Wars (2003), and didn't much care for it. Definately a one time event.

15. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I see your point, was it 4 eps to make that film? So 121 watchable episodes and a watchable feature film.

16. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Depends on whether you consider the Story Reels, comics and novels as 'watchable'.

The 4 episodes to make the film were called:

The New Padawan
    Castle of Doom
    Castle of Deception
    Castle of Salvation

CoolyFett likes this.
  17. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Rebels vs TCW, TCW vs Rebels.....im startng not to see the difference. TCW is a prequel to Rebels and Rebels is a sequel to TCW. Good for Filoni.

pepoluan likes this.
  18. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Especially now Rex and Ahsoka are both back!

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would not say that it just shows how connected everything is now.

20. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Filoni is a trickster and he trolls Star Wars fans often. Im not annoyed or offended by some of his antics. People like to say TCW was Georges show, but I think the torch was past to Filoni some time during season 2. I dont think Filoni knew TCW was going to get the axe or maybe he did, but no way was Disney going to let Time Warner bank off Star Wars after cutting that 4 billion check. Rebels is definitely the unfinished business of TCW +. Rebels may have been in play even before the Disney deal.

21. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    My apologies if this has been asked before (it seems like such a general question, it probably has, but the search returned nothing for me). I did find one thread with a debate going on, however I think an active thread with a poll and the purpose of the thread being the debate would be more fitting.

The question is pretty basic: which one do you prefer? In terms of plot, style, characters, story, all of it, anything really.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you believe it's too early for Rebels to judge, you can wait a few seasons before returning. Would appreciate that!

My opinion
    I much prefer The Clone Wars to be honest (though it's hard for me to watch sometimes knowing what happens in the end of it all). I just finished watching Season 1 of it, and am already liking it more than Rebels Season 1. The art style is better I believe, and I feel more attached to the characters - mainly the clones. It's also more... mature? It's not mature, but it's definitely aimed for kids, teens, and adults it seems. Rebels is definitely a bit more kiddy, but then again, it's Disney. Rebels seems a lot more mediocre to me, but it could be too early to judge. The thin lightsabers really bugs me though.

So, what do you think?

Merged from similar thread.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I actually dislike both. About the only thing I got out of TCW was a tiny bit of humanization of Dooku and Yularen. Rebels: Tarkin is alive and the ships look nice.

23. ARC_RC-7567

ARC_RC-7567 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2015
    I love The Clone Wars. I grew up with it, and it was what really got me into Star Wars. I loved the Clones, I've always thought of them as so cool and interesting. Their unique personalities, the amazing battles, the awesome armor. It just is my favorite aspect of Star Wars. And the focus on many different events and characters made me learn to love almost all things about Star Wars. I could sit through 30 minutes of just Senators talking or C3P0 and R2 walk through some cave just because I loved the story. And as the series grew the tone of it grew, it became more serious and dark and I kept me interested because it wasn't just like some Saturday-morning-cartoon. It didn't feel like something hat would be on Cartoon Network, it was too deep and mature compared to other shows. That was a good thing. And when The Clone Wars was cancelled, it hit me like a bullet. Seeing this amazing show I grew up with just end without a proper finish and tons of things unexplained just made me sad and aggrivated at the same time.

Rebel. I have mixed feeling about it. Overall my opinion is mainly negative. The show seems less thought out than The Clone Wars. I am one of those fans that doesn't like the OT much and watching Rebels doesn't make me like the era anymore. I find the show too 2-dimensional, lacking little depth and not much of an idea that everything contributes to a bigger story. My opinion on this matter has improved a bit since Call To Action, Rebels Resolve, and Fire Across The Galaxy since things seem to be getting bigger. I find the characters kind of boring, with the exception to Sabine, Kanan, and Agent Kallus (not counting Tarkin) who I want to see explored some more. I hate Ezra. He's childish and doesn't know when to be serious or just shut up, an I find him too much of a Luke Skywalker ripoff... The villains are pitiful, the Stormtroopers pose little to no threat and it just makes the show flat out boring or predictable. Since the show only focuses on the same 5 characters I'm always sure they will survive since the show can't go in without them. With The Clone Wars it felt like if the character wasn't in anything past ROTS, any battle could be their last. I'm looking more optimistic about Season 2 seeing that Rex, Wolffe and Gregor are coming back, but it's going to have to be really good if I'm gonna like it a lot.

You really don't like either? Why?

Tommytom and darskpine10 like this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    She does not like the way Tarkin is shown.

25. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    I REALLY loved the Clone Wars, it was just the most amazing thing ever. But I would have to go with Rebels. It has new enjoyable characters, plus the characters from the Clone Wars we all loved. And if we are comparing season 1 to season 1, Rebels is WAY better.

With the Clone Wars we knew what happened to most of the characters, in Rebels we don't. And Rebels is a darker time, and they don't have much to work with against and Empire that does. We knew they outcomes of the Clone Wars, but we don't know how the Rebellion started.

So I vote Rebels.

lookameatbag and Vespasian like this.