main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did You Like TLJ's Characterization of Luke Skywalker?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by nightangel, Dec 16, 2017.

?

Did You Like TLJ's Characterization of Luke Skywalker?

1. Yes, it was perfect. This Luke was the true Luke.

79 vote(s)
    33.6%
  2. Eh, it was okay. They got some right, some wrong. The characterization worked for the story.

47 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No, it was horrible. They got Luke completely or mostly wrong. They destroyed a beloved character.

110 vote(s)
    46.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Again, even taking your idea you have a 60% like and 40% dislike. That does not equate to a vocal minority but a pretty sizable one.

Just speak for yourself and there isn't any problem.

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Now I hope someone makes a Jake Skywalker Appreciation Thread...

3. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I disagree IMHO it does It Is similar to Alt Right Trumpers vs Liberals/Democrats and the 3/5 Is Conservative Democrats that already are Disenchanted with Trump that Is like people who saw TLJ for a second time and now love it but hated it the first time. I think as time goes on this film will age well more and more people will like it the more they watch it and when we see it in context with Episode 9 it will make more sense and grow in popularity. another good example is when The Phantom Menace came out It was ripped apart by Fanboys but In 2009 I was a Lurker on here for TPM 10th Anniversary and most on here looked more favorably on TPM 10 years later with a lot of people admitting it has aged well and they now like it or like it a lot more. You know the old saying Time heals all wounds that statement Is more true then we will really ever know.

4. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I haven't had the time nor the strength (work busy and Christmas preparations) to see the movie again, but I do want to see it because it does have good moments.

First, I had no opposition to seeing a broken Luke. Honestly, I was very intrigued and looking forward to Johnson's take on it all. Thinking he "was a fan of Luke" thought he would take the character places that we haven't seen, but still be essentially Luke. Give another dimension and depth to him. I didn't think he was going to "kill" him until IX. Fine. I went into it a little bit more prepared. Also, I'm also aware that the new characters were the main ones and that Luke and Leia would be supporting characters. Boy, was I wrong. I didn't think it was done in a classy way necessarily nor give some answers that are believable or of quality story writing. Sure, he's human, but couldn't have come up with some better reasons for him leaving?? It's sabotages the character, not strengthen it. All these people at LFL couldn't come up with something better ??

What I disliked:
    -milking a creature? really??
    -the line about " I came here to die"? - yeah, I get that he's human and is doubtful, but really??
    -tossing of saber... too parodyish
    -didn't like the death scene; could have been done more classy
    -biggest issue: what caused the rift between him and Kylo - ok, show Luke as flawed, come up with something else? What about the Bloodline story about him not knowing about Vader, it was just frankly very stupid.
    -no real depth to the mentor/student relationship with Rey
    felt cut short

What I liked:
    -scene with Leia... lovely
    -confrontation and words to Kylo about haunting him- liked that a lot!
    -scene with Rey about the force, the confrontation in the tree and the talk in the temple
    -seeing Yoda with Luke again
    -him with R2 on the Falcon

That said, is he still a hero? Definitely. He fell into a funk of guilt and despair, but in the end, what was important he picked himself up to save his sister and the others. I think he wasn't "suicidal" as some claim. I think he was guilt ridden over his nephew, but did't feel the confidence to bring himself to get back up. He needed something or someone to light that spark. Rey helped with that. If he was suicidal he would have ended his life the night his temple was destroyed or the moment he landed on the island. Something drove him to that temple not just "to die", but to find some inspiration to get him going again.

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    You know, I think would've preferred that version of events to what we got.

6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    A lot of fans forget, or turn a blind eye toward Luke's moments of weakness and Dark Side glimpses and willingness to dabble in the grey and also leave his friends for long stretches to go on Force-driven journeys. Even leaving his friends to go train with Yoda in the first place was a moment where he'd chosen the Force first and his friends later. He later regrets that and changes his mind just as he does in TLJ.

Luke quit on Dagobah with Yoda and felt it was pointless and impossible. He needed Yoda to help him overcome his block.

Yoda warned him later about his vision in the cave. "The Cave... Remember Your Failure at the Cave..."

That message wasn't just short-term. It was for the rest of his life. And Luke's tried to ensure he never becomes like his father but had that moment of weakness. It wasn't the first time though.

[​IMG]
    He flirted with killing the Emperor outright in dark side rage and the Emperor wanted him to.

Later, when Vader toys with his connection of Leia Luke loses it and the Emperor confirms that "“your hate has made you powerful." He tapped into the Dark side briefly than too and it made him strong.

Yoda also warned him that he'd always have the potential to become an agent of evil. And the Emperor said, "Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete."

Throw in 30 years of life, hardship, and seeing the cycle of violence in your family compete in your nephew's desire to be Vader and you witnessing the monster he'll become and I just don't see why it's so hard to believe that the Luke we've known for literally a second could have been in a daze and answered the call to the Dark Side briefly before snapping back out of it. We've seen him do this in the past.

The exile is also similar to that of past Jedi. He started seeking out the first temple for enlightenment and wisdom and became disenfranchised and lost when he failed to find it. It was a distraction from the guilt he felt inside that turned to projecting and deflecting against the order as a whole.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is a topic for the Mark Hamill/Luke Skywalker thread. Locking.

TCF-1138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.