main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discrepencies between Jedi robes in OT and PT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MrMan77, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMan77

MrMan77 Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2003
    Has anyone noticed that the robe which Obi-Wan is seen wearing in ANH is significantly different from the robes seen on jedi in the PT? In paticular the beige inner robe is longer and there is a brown undershirt as opposed to the layered v-necks in the PT.

I first postulated that perhaps Obi-Wan chose to wear a different robe in order to further his disguise when he went in hiding, but I later noticed that the ghost of Anakin wears the same robe in ROTJ implying that this is the standard Jedi garb.

As much as I love the elegant robes designed for the PT, this inconsistency between the designs has always irritated me. I'd love to hear some other theories on this.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I have noticed this as well and it kind of bothered me, too. I guess Obi chose different robes because of the climate on Tatooine. As for Anakin.... maybe he honored his former master by choosing the same robes after death? :)

3. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Jedi clothing is up to the Jedi themselves as far as I know. They just have to wear respectful clothing.

We cant really compare the 2 eras because in the OT we only see 2 Jedi, where as in the PT we see hundreds.

Look at Aayla Secura for example. She doesnt wear robes at all :D

4. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    And we are all thankful for that! :D

5. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Has it really come to this?

:_|

(psssst.....the two guys who play Obi-Wan are different people too.)

*sigh*

6. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I find it that if I have nothing good to add to a discussion thread then I just don't post!

On topic. I also thought that there is no excuse for GL not paying attention to these details. There are all sorts of inconsistencies that you need to be a fan and look the other way to keep your suspension of disbelief.

The Jedi ropes, the Jedi code, the Force and other things are considerable different from the OT to the PT. There are excuses as to why they are but they are exactly that, excuses!

We are just paying the price for GL lack of vision. He made Ben a crazy old hermit (thank god for Alec Guiness and the way he chose to portray that!). He also made Yoda a crazy old kermit, (errr hermit).

7. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Nice try ObidioJuan

Please leave misguided GL-bashing conspiracy theories at the door. Do you have to believe every word failed-movie producer Gary Kurtz has to say?

[face_mischief]

On topic, do you honestly expect Ben to flash Original Jedi® robes when it's a known fact that all Jedi were wiped out by the Emperor and Darth Vader?

Sure he flashes the ol' lightsaber to save Luke's whiny, scrawny butt, but he'd already punched his ticket out of there catching a ride on the fastest hunk-of-junk on the galaxy.

Ben doesn't wear traditional Jedi robes on Tatooine. He rocks the latest in desert fashion. Remember, he's playing the role of the lonely old hermit, not a Jedi Master. As for Yoda, I'm sure the greatest Jedi to ever live wouldn't forget to pack his clothes before ditching Coruscant. But they do tend to wear after 20 years. You can't look that sharp in a swamp.

Oh, and there's that little fact that those movies were made 25 years ago, and it's kind of nasty to put those old clothes back on. Lucas had the money, so he made only the flyest Jedi gear for 1999 and 2002.

:cool:

8. Blackthorpe

Blackthorpe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Actually, there are no discrepencies in the costume. Take a look at Eeth Koth, in the council. He wears robes that are almost identical to Old Ben's, right down to the mock turtleneck. As for the outter robe in ANH, well, that can be put down to age and disguise. If you look at the egdes of that robe, you'll see that they are raw, unfinished. Ben probably made it after he went into hiding, and didn't have the fancy Jedi seamstress to help him out any more. ;)

9. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Why Kenobi´s robes are different is not a mystery. The question is: Why is Anakin wearing such robes? The last Jedi robes he wore before ROTJ were those he will wear in EpIII and I highly doubt that they will look different from those he had in AOTC.

10. Blackthorpe

Feb 6, 2003
    Why is Anakin's spirit that of a healthy old man? Who knows? As for the robes, he just picked a look that was most like his old master's, or the typical "older Jedi" garb.

11. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Remember that these are ghosts projecting themselves to Luke. Perhaps they are taking the form that Luke thinks its appropiate and fit his own expectations of what the three of them should look like.

12. Blackthorpe

Feb 6, 2003
    ^^^ Yeah! I like that!! ^^^

13. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Or maybe they are ghost robes that all ghosts wear and Obi-Wan just happened to wear similar clothing when he was alive?

14. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    I buy the fact that Obi-Wan probably wore out his Jedi barb over 20 years or he just bought his clothing on Tatooine.. no biggie... same for Yoda.. different climate, different planet, different era no biggie... Can't expect it to be the same....

Now for Anakin, I am not so sure, can you say Jedi haven in the heavens??? ;) He probably wore the "traditional" Jedi garb in Luke's vision either cause that is what Luke envisioned or Anakin the spirit decided to drop his hot shot ways and be like his mentor....

15. vladimir_imp

vladimir_imp Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I thought that Ben wore 'Tatooine' clothing, and was a little surprised in the PT that all of the Jedi wore similar clothing. I think that I probably had this opinion based upon Uncle Owen's and young Luke's clothes being 'similar' to Ben's. It seems a little foolish for a former Jedi in hiding to wear Jedi clothing? That is assuming that citizens viewed them in the same way that we view our modern day police forces.

As a side comment I have always loved Doug Chiang's samarai-esque Jedi concepts and Luke's garb in ROTJ.

Just one final comment on Anakin's force ghost in ROTJ. Although we've only seen his arm amputated, we are led to believe that he is more machine than man, yet he stands in possession of all of his limbs. I am of a similar believe that maybe what we are seeing is the force talking to Luke in the way that Luke would interpret it.

16. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    I feel like that the long tunic that goes to the feet, was a garment of choice for the elderly jedi. I think that GL thought that since Qui and Obi were going to have to move around and fight Sith their cloths should be fit for that-hence the PT cloths. They need to be able to fight and move artound and stuff, is the point I am trying to make.

How many aged jedi have we seen in the Pt? Two, Yoda and Qui-Gon. Yoda still wears the long tunic in the PT. Why? He is no longer a knight, as is Qui and Obi. Not only is he not a knight but he's like a million. That would explain why the other council members refraine from the elderly jedi look. They still go on missions and stuff as does Qui. If Qui were indeed on the council im sure he would be less in the feild, so to speak, and remain on courusant and therefore be less active and therefore done the traditional old jedi look.

My two republic credits.

17. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I agree. They are shorter mainly for athletic reasons. I like Obi-Wan's AOTC look. It's the perfect mix between what Ewan looked like in TPM and what Alec looked like in ANH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.