main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion For The Two Ewok Films

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by EltonJohnBonJovi, Jul 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EltonJohnBonJovi

EltonJohnBonJovi Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2002
    I hope no one else has posted this but this is just to discuss the two ewok films

[color=indigo] This thread is too "star wars" for this particular board.

To continue discussing the "Ewok Movies", please refer to this thread in [i]SW Miscellaneous[/i]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8747444] The Ewok Haven [/link]

If that thread isn't suitable, feel free to start a new thread in [link=http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10012]Star Wars Miscellaneous[/link] to suit your needs.

[/color]

2. sweethoneygirl

sweethoneygirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    When I was a kid I loved the Ewok Adventure. I would watch it all the time.
    I thought Wickett and his brothers were so cute, and it was cool to see them as a family. How they seemed to baby Wickett more in that movie, than in Return of the Jedi since he was one of their best scouts when they went to the Shield Generator.

I have only seen the Battle of Endor once so I really can't comment on it, but I do remember the family dying in the beginning which I was let down by. Since Cydel and Mace fought so hard to get their parents back in the first place from Morlack (not sure of spelling).

3. Boba_Fett_00

Boba_Fett_00 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    I saw The Ewok Adventure 2 times and The Battle for Endor once and i loved them

4. CwrnPuppet

CwrnPuppet Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I have both of them on VHS - in the right mood, they can be somewhat fun, but they don't have much of a Star Wars feel to them.

5. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I saw them when they premiered on tv as a kid, in 84 and 85, I believe. I've seen them on video since. It's been awhile, though.

I was always kind of let down by the first one, Caravan of Courage: The Ewok Adventure. There wasn't a lot of action and adventure, and that giant they were up against just didn't do it for me.

However, I always dug the second one, Ewoks: The Battle for Endor. IMO, it's vastly superior to the first one. It's much bigger n scale. A lot more action and adventure. A lot of cool, new creatures are introduced. You get Wilford Brimley as an ex-bada$$ named Noah. And he's got an ultra-speedy sidekick named Teek. Great character, BTW. Kudos to whoever played Teek. Good job!

I might shell out the bucks to get them on DVD if they ever come out.

6. Evacuation

Evacuation Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2000
    Call me crazy, but i loved this movie (OK in 1984 i did) I never really liked the second one when I was younger.

However, I have always wondered how this fit into the whole SW timeline. I guess it's technically not canon, but I always wanted to know if this was set before or after ROTJ. I know there is no refrence to SW films in either of them, and when I was young I always assumed it was a prequel. I thought it would have been cool to show Death Star II being built, somewhere on the horizon, like a little easter egg for us hardcorers.

Anyways, still entertaining to watch them occasionaly, when you're in the proper mood.

7. Evacuation

Nov 15, 2000
  8. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    (Wonders if "proper mood" is code for under-the-influence?)

I saw these sad "movies" when I was 13-14 and was embarassed how bad, unfunny, and un-SW(ish) they were. A lot of people rag on the Holiday Special...at least that's got TONS of unintentional laughs. The Ewok's movies are just like watching someone pimp your favorite series, only on the small screen, with boring plots, and dull characters.

9. Evacuation

Nov 15, 2000
    What, you've never heard of the Ewok drinking game? ;)

10. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    What's the Ewok drinking game?
    The Ewok adventures were poorly written network trash and sadly they have soured GL on letting anyone else do anymore Star Wars television.

11. E_Chuta

E_Chuta Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    EltonJohnBonJovi....hmmmm.......Discussion on the Ewok films.....hmmmm...... nope, no homosexuals on this board.

12. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    All it's missing are some show-tunes! ;)

13. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    I have yet to see either one...

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Hey there.

I managed to watch both at the cinema, and enjoyed more Battle for Endor more. Didn't really get the plot, but anything with genuine blaster bolts flying about was bound to be fun.

Caravan of Courage was enjoyable up until Wicket had to build a glider from bits of debris in a cave - I got annoyed that the producers did not use the A-Team theme tune for this (I was a kid!), and it spoilt the film for me.

I recall enjoying Wicket playing with a small horse toy and calling it a Star Cruiser. And as for references in SW films and novels, I believe that Cindel Towani - the little girl - turned up as a reporter on Coruscant in the 'Black Fleet Crisis' series of novels.

15. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    I never really cared much for Caravan of Courage. I always felt it was slow and dragged on and on and on and on, and the narrator's voice was grating. But the Gorax was pretty cool.

The Battle of Endor, however, was pretty enjoyable. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I do remember liking it a lot more than the first one. Teek was cool! :)

16. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I liked both films, but liked the second one much better. What was interesting about the second one was the violence (non-gory) in the film - both of Cindel's parents and Mace, her brother, were killed at the beginning of the film, and parts of the rest of the film were failry violent as well. Granted, it wasn't at all gory, just disturbing....

17. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    i liked both movies when i was a kid. its been a long time since i've sessn them last i only remeber a few of the scenes. cindel never did come back liek she said.
    :(

18. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    You people are crazy, the second movie was terrible! Sure, it had more action, but none of the action was very good, and it made the first Ewoks movie completely pointless. The villains were pretty weak, too. Also, what's the deal with Wilford Brimley? Oatmeal spokespersons don't belong in Star Wars.

Of course, that's not to say the first one was a brilliant piece of work either. I thought it was mostly crappy, but it was saved by the giant Gorax. He was awesome!

The effects for him were really good, too. He actually looked like he was a giant. He didn't look like a blue-screened puppet or stop-motion or a guy in a suite playing around with a miniature city or anything like that. He looked just like he was supposed to. I can't think of any movie since then, that has portrayed a giant creature so convincingly.

The final battle was fairly suspenseful, too. I wish the whole movie could have been as good as the climax.

19. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    [face_laugh]! That's funny. To me, Gorax looked exactly like a man in a suit, which he was. Nothing impressive about the effect at all.

Wilford was great in Battle for Endor. Sorry you can't disassociate him from his old Quaker Oats campaign. And the climax in Battle for Endor is infinitely superior to Caravan of Courage.

20. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    When are these going to be released to DVD anyway? C'mon Lucas!!! I liked these films. I saw The Ewok Adventure when I was 12, and The Battle for Endor when I was 14. The aren't that BAD.

21. PaulSanderson

PaulSanderson Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    Oh yes they are, they're attrocious, appalingly bad films. Ugh!

22. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I saw both of the Ewok films when I was very young. I LOVED them! I liked the second one best though.

I actually want to see them again now, but I'm a little embarrased about going into a video store by myself and renting two children's movies.

23. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    >>>[face_laugh] ! That's funny. To me, Gorax looked exactly like a man in a suit, which he was. Nothing impressive about the effect at all.<<<

Why I oughtta! Maybe the fact that it scared me as a child is influencing the way I look at the effect now. But even today, I think the gorax is completely convincing, and definitely the best thing out of all the Star Wars TV efforts.

>>>Wilford was great in Battle for Endor. Sorry you can't disassociate him from his old Quaker Oats campaign.<<<

I kid old Wilford, he was ok in the movie. But I thought his character was weak and his speedy little sidekick was annoying.

>>>And the climax in Battle for Endor is infinitely superior to Caravan of Courage.<<<

Whatchu talkin' about? The climax of Battle for Endor didn't even make sense! They hit the bad guy's necklace with a slingshot, and suddenly he turns into stone? Why the hell did that happen? (if I'm wrong on that, keep in mind I haven't seen this movie in like five years)

Don't get me started on the goofy bad guys sitting at a table playing cards.

24. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Well, Vlad, I'm glad we can keep this debate all in good fun. :) I haven't seen the films in years either, but I definately remember enjoying Battle for Endor much more. You didn't like Teek? :(

25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Overall, the Ewok films were great. I liked the exploration of Endor that was featured in both films, and finding out what other creatures/monsters lived there in addition to the Ewoks.

The first movie was good, but dragged at times. The second was much more dramatic and action-oriented, but it was missing the Gorax...

I'd like to see both of these on DVD at some point. I think they would sell moderately well..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.